Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
On the iLiad the PID is in a file named Mobipocket_PID.txt in the root directory that is exported via USB. This file is created the first time the iLiad MobiPocket Reader is opened.

On the Pepper Pad 3 (running a version of the same Java-based reader as the iLiad) the PID is under the "settings" top level menu tab in the reader.
Okaaaaaaaay...

No such Mobipocket_PID.txt file on my Cybook.

And what part of no 'About' is not clear? At the highest 'menu', I get a list of all user-openable files on the Cybook. There *IS* no 'settings' menu, no 'about' menu, no top-level menu for deciding between books, pictures, music or other options. As I have stated numerous times, this is version 0.91 - a beta release of the firmware. All this may well change with the firmware update.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Okaaaaaaaay...

No such Mobipocket_PID.txt file on my Cybook.

And what part of no 'About' is not clear? At the highest 'menu', I get a list of all user-openable files on the Cybook. There *IS* no 'settings' menu, no 'about' menu, no top-level menu for deciding between books, pictures, music or other options. As I have stated numerous times, this is version 0.91 - a beta release of the firmware. All this may well change with the firmware update.

Derek
How does Bookeen expect you to be able to test the Gen3 if you are unable to purchase books for it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How does Bookeen expect you to be able to test the Gen3 if you are unable to purchase books for it?
I *can* purchase Secure Mobipocket ebooks, I just can't open them on the Cybook. However, I've got MobiReader 6 on my PC and my Axim...

Derek
Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I *can* purchase Secure Mobipocket ebooks, I just can't open them on the Cybook. However, I've got MobiReader 6 on my PC and my Axim...

Derek
Well, a review won't be all that great till you are able to purchase Mobi format books to use with the Gen3.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, a review won't be all that great till you are able to purchase Mobi format books to use with the Gen3.
I agree with you.

Derek
Advert
Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I agree with you.

Derek
A big part of using the reader is how hassle free it is to go online and purchase Mobi format books you can use with your device. PaperbackDigital seems to (overall) be the cheapest place to get Mobi format books with BooksOnBoard being a close follower. And to purchase books at PaperbackDigital, all you need is to tell the site what your PID(s) are/is. But if you don't have that then it's not going to work to purchase books.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You don't even need a Mobi ID to buy books from FictionWise. You just need it to download your purchased book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You don't even need a Mobi ID to buy books from FictionWise. You just need it to download your purchased book.
How then do you read your DRM laden MobiPocket formatted book on your device if you do not have your PID for that device?
Old 10-03-2007, 02:40 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Clearly, you can't. All I was saying is that you can buy it without the MobiPocket ID. You need to enter at least one ID in order to be able to download it.

BTW, "DRM laden" strikes me as being a very strange expression. DRM is merely an encryption mechanism; it doesn't make the book any larger or "weightier", which is what the expression "laden" implies to me.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:47 AM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Clearly, you can't. All I was saying is that you can buy it without the MobiPocket ID. You need to enter at least one ID in order to be able to download it.

BTW, "DRM laden" strikes me as being a very strange expression. DRM is merely an encryption mechanism; it doesn't make the book any larger or "weightier", which is what the expression "laden" implies to me.
Yeah it does make it 'weightier' - in the sense of adding data NOT necessary for the primary function - reading!

Derek
Old 10-03-2007, 03:17 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It clearly makes the software which decrypts the book "weightier", but I don't believe it adds any overhead to the book itself. Most encryption methods simply substitute one character for another; they don't, generally speaking, change the number of characters in the text.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I can see DRM could be viewed as adding metaphorical weight, in the sense that it makes dealing with the book more burdensome.

And I'd far rather type out 'DRM laden' frequently than 'DRM encumbered' which is probably more accurate, but harder to type.

Maybe 'DRM burdened?'
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:23 AM   #28
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
Let's make a verb out of it! "DRMed"!

No, let's not
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

DRM-blessed?
DRM-resplendent?
DRM-replete?
DRM-fulfilled?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
Let's make a verb out of it! "DRMed"!

No, let's not
Too late, we've been using "DRMed" around here for quite some time now.

Quote:
DRM-blessed?
DRM-resplendent?
DRM-replete?
DRM-fulfilled?
gorged, bloated, stuffed, befouled, defiled, corrupted, desecrated, ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote