Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #16
bardo
bardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
On the PRS-T1 you need to swipe in order to turn the page. A longer touch triggers dictionary lookup etc. An incidential, short, not even a large-area contact does nothing.

Maybe the Nook could be configured like this?
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Yes, that sounds like it would be a good compromise - the option to disable the quick-touch page turns that it defaults to, but still have it work for the longer touches required for dictionary look-ups, etc.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM   #18
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
I've rooted and I use CoolReader3 and set all the hardware buttons to forward (since you are almost always going forward). I have the top left button set to go backward with a double click. Works well. There are options for the screen as well. So you could turn off the page turning from the screen but keep the functionality of the dict etc.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #19
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
At the risk of being slammed here, I find the touch feature easy to control. Once one is half way through a book, I think one can gauge the correct amount of pressure to apply for a single page turn.
I find the side buttons(which feature I really like) hard to push requiring that my fingers be arched at one precise angle and then a hard push is needed. Sometimes, it's a bit awkward to accomplish
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
The physical buttons aren't too bad in my opinion. What I don't like though is that you really have to center your touch to get a page turn. I am a big boy and can figure that out, but still a little annoying that the button "ridge" is maybe 2 inches long, but the effective button is only at the center maybe half an inch of that. It would also be nice if the pressure required for a page turn was about half of what it is (still enough to easily prevent accidental page turns when gripping the nook ST, even gripping it pretty firmly).
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
RealAct
RealAct began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
I've rooted and I use CoolReader3 and set all the hardware buttons to forward (since you are almost always going forward). I have the top left button set to go backward with a double click. Works well. There are options for the screen as well. So you could turn off the page turning from the screen but keep the functionality of the dict etc.
That's great news, how exactly did you go about doing this? any instructions on how to root the Nook simple touch anywhere?

Sorry for resurrecting this topic, but this is still the only reason I'm using a Kindle
RealAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAct View Post
That's great news, how exactly did you go about doing this? any instructions on how to root the Nook simple touch anywhere?

Sorry for resurrecting this topic, but this is still the only reason I'm using a Kindle
You can learn how to root by reading the threads from this forum
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1201 or you can search on youtube there are video instruction available as well.
Where as changing the settings in coolreader is very simple just enter coolreader options and it will give you options to select different options for different buttons. Each button can be programmed for three options single press, double press and long press so you can effectively get 12 buttons.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #23
creepozoid
creepozoid began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad2
I'm always knocking the ipad screen accidentally triggering page turns. I'd love it if single-click page turns could be completely disabled and swiping was the only way to turn the page. I suggested this to the devs about a year ago. Wish there were more options so you had greater control over your experience
creepozoid is offline   Reply With Quote