Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 04:04 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could always use the free PC MobiPocket viewer .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:09 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
But where's my motivation, it has to be on e-ink ;-)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 04:14 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to think about whether it's worth the cost of a CyBook to me .
Old 08-23-2007, 04:25 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since the cybook already reads HTML, unless the HTML reader app is poor you shouldn't really need conversion from HTML to PRC.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:40 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

True. The main reason I'm buying a CyBook, though, is so that I can read the same books on both my iLiad and the CyBook, and the iLiad is not great (to say the least) at viewing HTML. I'd like, therefore, to standardise on MobiPocket on both.
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
... you have to be comfortable with editing HTML.
As a matter of curiosity, what drawbacks would you see to using an HTML authoring tool (or Word, even) to do your editing?

If I could take the file into Word, do whatever, and save it as HTML, then let HTML2LRF do its thing, then I might like it better than BD for a lot of the things I do.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Word produces incredibly convoluted HTML. I don't know what "html2lrf" would make of it.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
As a matter of curiosity, what drawbacks would you see to using an HTML authoring tool (or Word, even) to do your editing?

If I could take the file into Word, do whatever, and save it as HTML, then let HTML2LRF do its thing, then I might like it better than BD for a lot of the things I do.
Not a lot of drawbacks. You just get more control if you can edit the source manually, this is important for things like drop caps and hanging indents. But those come under the category of "Advanced Features".

When using Word make sure you save it as clean HTML. The default save as HTML creates HTML files with acres of crud in them.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think I care much about the "advanced features" of which you speak.

Is "clean HTML" one of the save as options, then? I see "single file web page," "web page," and "web page, filtered." Or is it something else that I'd need to do? I haven't played with HTML from Word too much.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I think its web page, filtered
Old 08-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

Cool, thanks.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #27
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:

Actually this is what I do. It works most of the time. Every once in a while though I have problems and and have to relink the TOC because my mac version of word messes up the links at random times...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, but for my own purposes, I very rarely give a fetid pair of dingo's kidneys for TOC's.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #29
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Ah, but for my own purposes, I very rarely give a fetid pair of dingo's kidneys for TOC's.
Well if you don't care for linked TOC's, the the word solution works fine. Harry is right, the actual HTML is very, very sloppy, but works fine for what you want done.

I make my word file, pretty it up, save as HTML, run it through HTML2LRF and it works fine.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:32 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Cool, I'll give it a shot next time I go on a conversion bender.

Tags
libprs500