Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #16
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try converting an ePub with just an external ToC and see what you think.
Not sure if that's directed at me or the OP?

I know Calibre will create an inline TOC when converting to MOBI format, as long as you can set the correct regex to accurately identify the headings you want included in the TOC. It works most easily with books that are accurately coded (using h1, h2, h3, etc, for titles and headings) and/or that have chapter/section titles that include words such as "chapter", "section", etc. However it's tacked on at the end of the book, which is fine for personal use, but is less than optimal for commercial publication, particularly for non-fiction books, where you will likely want the inline TOC to appear as part of a free sample offered for download, to give the prospective purchaser an accurate and detailed overview of the book's content.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Kindle Gen should also pick up the external TOC.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Neither Calibre nor Kindlegen create an inline TOC from the NCX TOC. They will incorporate the NCX data into the MOBI file so that it's there for the ereader device or app to make use of, e.g. on the Kindle, navigation point markers are placed on the progress bar, corresponding with the navigation points coded into the NCX file, and the 5-way control button can be used to skip to the previous or next navigation point.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Hi Donna, Johny come lately here. Reading up on Mobi and finding your posts has got me concerned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
And the fact that, unless something has changed, a Calibre-created MOBI file won't work on Kindle for PC if you upload it to Amazon and specify that DRM should be added to the ebook.
Well that's one more reason for the argument against DRM. So I think we'll be OK there with our books because we're not going to use DRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
I know Calibre will create an inline TOC when converting to MOBI format, as long as you can set the correct regex to accurately identify the headings you want included in the TOC. It works most easily with books that are accurately coded (using h1, h2, h3, etc, for titles and headings) and/or that have chapter/section titles that include words such as "chapter", "section", etc. However it's tacked on at the end of the book, which is fine for personal use, but is less than optimal for commercial publication, particularly for non-fiction books, where you will likely want the inline TOC to appear as part of a free sample offered for download, to give the prospective purchaser an accurate and detailed overview of the book's content.
Am I naive thinking that my epubs converted to Mobi in Calibre with default settings may not be Retail-Ready?
I'm proofing on an iPad with the Kindle App and MobipocketReader for the PC and they look pretty cool if I dont say so myself but have I missed something out that I'm not aware of?

Forgot to mention - I didn't rename the paragraph styles from the original source files (InDesign) so they are called all sorts of things (subsubsubhead etc.) that previous designer thought up

Last edited by wannabee; 02-28-2011 at 11:31 PM.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #20
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Hi Donna, Johny come lately here.
Heh...most of us could probably be called that.

Quote:
Reading up on Mobi and finding your posts has got me concerned.
Nooooo.......!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsmillie View Post
Am I naive thinking that my epubs converted to Mobi in Calibre with default settings may not be Retail-Ready?
I'm proofing on an iPad with the Kindle App and MobipocketReader for the PC and they look pretty cool if I dont say so myself but have I missed something out that I'm not aware of?
My focus here is pretty well solely on the inline TOC, Mark, in the context of the OP wanting to generate one from the data s/he's already coded in the NCX, and others puzzling over why anyone might want to do that.

Whether Calibre's method of adding an inline TOC to the end of a file is acceptable in any particular ebook intended for commercial distribution is essentially an editorial decision, as is the suitability of the content captured in that TOC.

Some books (e.g. novels with simple "Chapter One", "Chapter Two", etc, headings) may not need an inline TOC at all, or having it at the end of the book (and accessible via the "Go To..." menu) might actually be preferable compared to having it near the start of the book, since it's only going to be useful under a few very specific circumstances.

For books with more descriptive chapter titles, and in particular non-fiction books, one might (and I do emphasise "might"!) prefer to have the inline TOC in the conventional place near the start of the book, for two reasons:
  1. it's where people will tend to look for it (decreasingly important as people become more accustomed to using e-readers, and using the "Go To" menu to access the TOC);
  2. it ensures that the TOC (which, in content-rich books, usually provides an excellent overview of what the book covers) will be included in an automatically generated free sample, since that will generally be the first x% of the book (Amazon uses the first 10% of the book) (also less important if there are options for customising the content of any free samples being offered).
Beyond obvious things like ensuring accurate spelling, grammar and punctuation, I really don't think there are (yet) any absolutes in terms of e-book structure or formatting (though I know some disagree with that). It should simply be a matter of giving some thought to what will or won't work best with any particular book or series of books, and then adjusting that if necessary in the light of any feedback received from customers or information published elsewhere.

Quote:
Forgot to mention - I didn't rename the paragraph styles from the original source files (InDesign) so they are called all sorts of things (subsubsubhead etc.) that previous designer thought up
That shouldn't be an issue in itself, Mark. If one is capable of creating a regular expression that will trap all of the headings and subheadings wanted in the inline TOC (and you clearly are! ), then not a problem. (Though I'd add here that ideally, you should aim to move towards accurate semantic coding of content (so headings are coded as headings, paragraphs as paragraphs, etc), since that's essential for anything more than absolute basic text-to-speech functionality, and also for possible e-reader functionality such as previous/next heading, paragraph, list, table, etc).
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #21
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Donna. Very appreciative.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:

Your kilometerage may vary, but I would plan on doing some cleanup on any automatic conversion or export from InDesign (have you tried the free Amazon plugin for ID?). That means editing HTML.

For example, I like ebooks whose chapter headings link back to the 'inline' TOC. It really improves navigation, particularly on Kindle. But calibre will create not create such anchors.

Calibre is a great tool, but I would not consider it part of a quality eBook production workflow. A great list of ebook production resources can be found here:
eBook Architects
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #23
wannabee
Media Bloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Your kilometerage may vary, but I would plan on doing some cleanup on any automatic conversion or export from InDesign (have you tried the free Amazon plugin for ID?). That means editing HTML.

A great list of ebook production resources can be found here:
eBook Architects
Thanks tomsem, I agree - and always tidy up the files InDesign generates. Thanks for pointing out that resource page. I have some of these untilities but didn't know about that collection. Looks like I'd better make some more time to investigate.
I haven't tried the Amazon plug in. Looks like something extra to look into as well. Thanks mate.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
elmago79
elmago79 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks a lot to st_albert. That was exactly what I was looking for. I'm on a linux computer, so installing pearl won't be a problem. Right now I'm using a php script my brother was kind enough to make for me, but it is a bit of a hassle.

The reason I'm not using Calibre is what everyone is talking about. It just doesn't cut it for production for the reasons everyone is explaining. My clients have also have all sorts of weird requirements for the inline TOC, and all I needed was a way to automate the process a little (a poetry book I just made had more than 80 entries.)

As for converting EPUB to MOBI, I'm having good results I format the EPUB appropriately from the start and then make the appropriate modifications before generating the MOBI file.

JSWolf: I'm amazed by the amount of people that never use the "external toc" because the have no idea it is there, even in EPUB. So I keep the inline toc in the epub also, at least for the time being.
elmago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmago79 View Post
JSWolf: I'm amazed by the amount of people that never use the "external toc" because the have no idea it is there, even in EPUB. So I keep the inline toc in the epub also, at least for the time being.
But the reason they may not know of the external ToC is because of the internal ToC. So if ePub did not have an internal ToC, then people would ask about it and find out about it (IMHO).

I'm of a mind to remove internal ToC if there are not too many links from the chapter header.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But the reason they may not know of the external ToC is because of the internal ToC. So if ePub did not have an internal ToC, then people would ask about it and find out about it (IMHO).

I'm of a mind to remove internal ToC if there are not too many links from the chapter header.
Some of the reading devices do not support external TOC hierarchy, or totally ignore any but the top link. For these an internal TOC may be quite valuable.

Dale
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Some of the reading devices do not support external TOC hierarchy, or totally ignore any but the top link. For these an internal TOC may be quite valuable.

Dale
Which buggy devices do not work properly with a toc.ncx file? If there wasn't an internal ToC, maybe people would be demanding that this bug gets fixed.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #28
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which buggy devices do not work properly with a toc.ncx file? If there wasn't an internal ToC, maybe people would be demanding that this bug gets fixed.
As I recall it was an iPad

Dale
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As I recall it was an iPad

Dale
iBooks, txtr, Bluefire do for sure work with a toc.ncx file. Maybe it's Stanza and if it is, Stanza is way buggy so it doesn't count.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #30
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
iBooks, txtr, Bluefire do for sure work with a toc.ncx file. Maybe it's Stanza and if it is, Stanza is way buggy so it doesn't count.
I could have mis-remembered. Are you sure iBooks has multi-level external TOC support?

Dale