Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
MAJOR ANNOYANCE

with v0.32 I could set it to be the default program for .epub format.

with 0.33, in windows7 64 bit, it will not appear in the choose default program options. I can browse to it, but it does not then add to the window thus I cannot see any way to make it the default.. is this likely to be fixed soon, or should I roll back to 0.32 ?
AFAIK I haven't done anything to affect this. I'll look into it though.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #17
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
MAJOR ANNOYANCE

with v0.32 I could set it to be the default program for .epub format.

with 0.33 - win 64 setup exe version - , in windows7 64 bit, it will not appear in the choose default program options. I can browse to it, but it does not then add to the window thus I cannot see any way to make it the default.. is this likely to be fixed soon, or should I roll back to 0.32 ?
I had this same issue with trying to set it as the default program from the "Open With" option in Win 7 64 and I never managed to fix it. This started happening to me with one of the earlier versions (pre 0.2) on one of my PC's but this doesn't occur with any of the other PC's so don't think you had caused this.

I just added Sigil to the "Send To" menu option on the right-click and opened it that way.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
well you've made SOME changes because noe there's a choice of 32 & 64 bit version, and 64 bit 0.33 installs to program files,

v0.32 installed to program files (x86). I don't know enough about windows internals to spot the exact cause of the problem though. the programs runs fine, it just cannot be selected as a default for .epub., or even , via right click as a one -off "open with" option.

I went back to 0.32 as I need the default program attribute on my win 7 64 bit PC

So ,on the same pc 0.32 behaves OK ( both before and after trying 64 bit 0.33), but 0,33 does not - I think that points to something having changed in the program ieself, & not to an issue with my PC or with Win 7 64 bit per se.

PS both times I did uninstall before install so I never had 2 versions on PC at once.

it may be an issue that is specific to the 64 bit version. if I have time I'll test 0.33 on my 32 bit Vista PC

Last edited by cybmole; 01-11-2011 at 10:02 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just tried to set Sigil as the epub default on Win7 x64 and it works without problems. And yes, I used x64 Sigil. So it must be some combination of system and configuration.

In the future, please report issues on the issue tracker. More info here.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just tried it myself. It was working with 0.3.2 but as I stated in an earlier thread this version was installed in the Program Files (x86) which I take to mean I did not install the x64 version. I did this time. Now when I "Open with..." and "choose default program" browse to Sigil in the "Program Files" folder and click OK, Sigil refuses to show up in the list. Does not matter if I choose to set Sigil as Default or not.

EDIT:
Did an uninstall/reinstall, still no go, it will not show up in the list of programs to open epubs.

Last edited by Danger; 01-11-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well I still don't get it - I 've gone around the whole uninstall, reinstall loop 2 more times.
0.32 is fine as default program. no joy with 0.33
never has this issue with other shareware / freeware.

i installed without the optional eye candy thingie but that should not make a difference ?
i tried also setting vista compatilbilty & tried run as admin. no joy.

NB my PC has UAC disabled - that should not be an issue though. except that install testing should cover UAC on & UAC off

Last edited by cybmole; 01-11-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #22
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
It was working with 0.3.2 but as I stated in an earlier thread this version was installed in the Program Files (x86) which I take to mean I did not install the x64 version.
No, Sigil 0.3.2 installed in Program Files (x86) no matter which version of Sigil you installed. The x64 version has also been around for the better part of a year.

Quote:
i installed without the optional eye candy thingie but that should not make a difference ?
Of course that doesn't make a difference (and frankly I dislike the implication).

I don't know what's causing this, really. All of you run x64 Sigil on an x64 Win7?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #23
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was just going to do another edit on my post to state that yes, I am running Win7 x64 with x64 Sigil 0.3.3 installed.

EDIT:
Did a test, since you stated that 0.3.2 installed to the Program Files (x86) regardless of being x64 or not. I did another uninstall/install but this time I installed to the Program Files (x86) and Sigil now appears in the 'Open with' list again. Going to test another theory but in the meantime...

EDIT2:
Think I found it, or at least it's working for me. I did another uninstall and reinstalled to 'Program Files' then did a search for Sigil in the registry and came across this:

I did a Modify and changed the 'Program Files (x86)' to 'Program Files' and Sigil now shows up in the "Open With" List. Seems that registry key is not getting changed or deleted.

Last edited by Danger; 01-11-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #24
cybmole
Wizard

AFAIK there was only 1 version of v0.32 - leastways I only saved one setup version. (labelled -..windows.x86 64 bit... which is a confusing label ..

it's bad practice to force a 64 bit program to install to the 32 bit x86 folder. BUT YES IT WORKS ! I can do the default program assignment if I force install v0.33 64 bit to there.

I wonder if this is happening because we've all previously had 0.32 installed in a different folder maybe the uninstall left some registry traces which still point at the x86 folder. you could diagnose it further with revo uninstaller but I've done enough for now. I tried revo in safe mode on 0.32 it did remove some extra registry stuff but 033 to program files was as before. revo has 2 other , slower, modes for removing program traces- moderate & extended. I did not have the patience to sit through more tests with those...

PS valloric, no offence meant re the eye candy option - I was just trying to narrow down the isntall fail options for you

this time around I declined an offer to install some web crawler thing...

Last edited by cybmole; 01-11-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
Valloric

Good find. The problem, as I said, was configuration specific. People set the old version of Sigil (which was in Program Files (x86)) as the epub default, and Windows won't let them change that setting to the same program in a different directory.

So just delete that key in the registry and set Sigil as the epub default again (or just change the key, as Danger did).
Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #26
Valloric

Quote:
AFAIK there was only 1 version of v0.32 -
No, an x64 version of Sigil has been available for a very long time.

Quote:
(labelled -..windows.x86 64 bit... which is a confusing label ..
The actual name for the processor architecture is x86-64, not x64. x64 is a Microsoftism.

The current versions of Sigil installers are labelled with x64 because most people are clueless. The complaints and confusion about this have given me many headaches. Microsoft wins, it's x64 as far as Sigil is concerned.

Quote:
it's bad practice to force a 64 bit program to install to the 32 bit x86 folder.
Absolutely true. I've been badgering the author of InstallJammer to fix this bug for over a year. No luck. Sigil now uses Inno to build the installers.

Quote:
I wonder if this is happening because we've all previously had 0.32 installed. maybe the uninstall left some registry traces which point at the x86 folder.
The uninstaller didn't touch those entries because it didn't create them. You did . You created them when you set Sigil as the epub default by hand.

Quote:
PS valloric, o offence meant re the eye candy option - I was just trying to narrow down the isntall fail options for you
Don't worry about it.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:06 PM   #27
cybmole
Wizard

ok - seems it's diagnosed now- as a microsoft stupidity - needing to know "and Windows won't let them change that setting to the same program in a different directory" is a toughie. what's wrong with wanting to change a setting to the same program in a different directory - after the previous directory has ceased to exist, anyway ??? - i guess its done as a security "feature" to block virus / trojan hijack mecahnisms

so to do this update properly. we should

uninstall what's there.

locate & delete a specific registry key relating to default epub file associateion ( could someone post the detail of that please), and then
install correct version to correct ( default ) directory & all will be well ?

but in the meantime, having it the "wrong" program files folder should be harmless ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-11-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
Danger
Evangelist

Do a Find in REGEDIT for:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\Sigil.exe" "%1"

Quotes & all, will bring you to that specific key. Right click where is says "Default", Modify, remove the _(x86) (where _ is a blank space), click OK, done.

Quote:
The uninstaller didn't touch those entries because it didn't create them. You did . You created them when you set Sigil as the epub default by hand.
Yeah, that is actually what gave me the idea to do a search in the registry for that. Figured it was Windows just being stupid and I remembered having set up 'Open with' by hand.

Last edited by Danger; 01-11-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
First off, Congratulations Valloric on creating a truly excellent tool.
I installed Sigil 0.3.3 today and absolutely love the Flightcrew integration, it's going to save me a lot of time. One issue though - I inadvertently undocked the results panel, by clicking what I thought was the minimise button, and now I can't redock it. It just floats on my desktop. Any Suggestions?
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #30
Danger
Evangelist

Quote:
... so to do this update properly. we should

uninstall what's there.

locate & delete a specific registry key relating to default epub file associateion ( could someone post the detail of that please), and then
install correct version to correct ( default ) directory & all will be well ?

but in the meantime, having it the "wrong" program files folder should be harmless ?
1) yes, thankfully the uninstall and reinstall are VERY quick.

2) see my above post, more detailed instructions can follow if need be.

3a) yes

3b) It should be, but see #1, #2 is also very quick to do as well.