Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Jones View Post
I've found that adjusting the background (both color and brightness) helps. I can usually get it so it looks a lot like e-ink, which is pretty smooth on the peepers.

If i'm staring at something on an LCD (one spot for long periods, or reading) I have to turn the brightness way down. Then when I switch to the web I notice the brightness is so low I can't see anything!
be interested to know what settings you are using.

I'm really falling in love with night, even during the day.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
may i join yo?

I too am very interested to see what a rooted NC can do
So far Angry Birds and Launcher Pro are a go! I heard that Barnes and Noble sold quite a few nook colors in the past few hours
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #18
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Loving mine so far. It's been great for e-reading and watching videos. I love its easy portability. I also like how low-profile it is when I take it into public places. For some reason I would feel so self-conscious whenever I took out my ipad on the train during my commute to work. Now I just use it at home. As much as I love my ipad, I feel so much more comfortable using the nook everywhere I go. Now I'm just waiting for some games to add.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
So far Angry Birds and Launcher Pro are a go! I heard that Barnes and Noble sold quite a few nook colors in the past few hours
ANGRY BIRDS?

that is fantastic, if they were smart they would have had it as a pre loaded app, would have been the device of the year. LOL

very cool, though, it's going to be fun to see what starts trickling in.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
Amafan
Amafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enoughAmafan will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3
I've had mine for about 10 days now and I'm pretty happy. The browser is Ok, with the typical Android quirks, and the touchscreen is very...well touchy. It really has to be clean and if there is the slightest moisture on you hands it will record multiple touches at a time. I've had to stop what I'm doing and reset it once or twice to get it to work properly. all in all when its working it works well, with the caveat that you clean the screen and keep your hands dry. I put a screen protector on it and I'll see if that helps with the sensitivity.

Reading is OK, not as good as with my Kindle 3, but acceptable especially at night. I too wish the brightness could be lowered further than the minimum setting on the CN. I went to an In-store user meeting and was pleased to see that the store people were very interested in our reactions and had been instructed to detail any complaints back to the development team. I think we'll see a pretty good update soon.
Amafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 07:28 AM   #21
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
As I recall, B&N did some tuning on the touch screen sensitivity with the e-ink nook early on. I never paid much attention to it, because most of it was about page-turn-swipes, which I don't use.

I'm wondering if they set the sensitivity high so it wouldn't act "numb" with the anti-glare or screen protectors on, though I honestly don't know how much those affect the sensitivity in the first place. Is anyone experiencing overly-sensitive screens with one of the overlays on?

Overall, I'm still thrilled with mine ten days on. I'm not sure I can be objective, since I'm still in "new toy" mode. So far, I'm still thrilled with it, and nothing negative has stood out about it to the point that I wish I hadn't bought it. In addition to my usual reading, I've used it to take PDFs and to access Google Docs (read only) in meetings rather than print them out for reference. That works better than using my phone.

My wish list includes: a better, more flexible PDF viewer and the Android 2.2 update. The former would (hopefully) add annotation abilities to PDFs. The latter would update the browser and make Google Docs fully functional.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I use the anti-glare screen overlay and the touch works great. I didn't really use it without the overlay so I didn't ever experience it being overly sensitive. BTW, I'm loving the device. The software could use some updates but I'm happy with the functionality already. My main items would be better pdf support and better on device file management.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
I use the anti-glare screen overlay and the touch works great. I didn't really use it without the overlay so I didn't ever experience it being overly sensitive. BTW, I'm loving the device. The software could use some updates but I'm happy with the functionality already. My main items would be better pdf support and better on device file management.
Thanks, I am going to get the antiglare this afternoon.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
I might be taking mine back, im going to try and swap it first, im having issues...just have to find a store with it in stock.
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #25
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Mine is great! I have not noticed the over-sensitivity on mine either with or without the anti-glare screen so I can't really speak to that save to say that it's not a problem on my NC.

I've had both the Nook Classic and the Kindle 3 and I MUCH prefer the Nook Color, no contest.

No LCD strain on my eyes so I'm good there.

I'd like to be able to add sideloaded books to the homescreen but that's not a big deal and I honestly think it'll happen sooner or later.

The only problem I've had is no being able to access hotel WiFi on it. Starbucks, restaurants, etc, they all work great (very fast) but not the hotel I'm at for a short while. The Nook Color will pull an IP but the status message is "Connected, but no internet" so I'll fiddle with it a bit more and see what comes of it. There's a thread on this issue also on this part of the boartd so feel free to contribute there.

So yeah, I love the device and will hang on to it. When the WiFi version of the Samsung Galaxy tab finally hits stores next year... well... we'll see what happens.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
... When the WiFi version of the Samsung Galaxy tab finally hits stores next year... well... we'll see what happens.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #27
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Ok, so I downloaded a magazine and my mind has changed. I'm most likely keeping the NC for that purpose and using my regular nook for long book reading...
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #29
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I love my Nook Color!
Unfortunately, mine has developed a problem with the power button - it sticks, which sends it into endless reboot cycles until you can convince it to unstick. B&N is sending me a replacement. The first customer service rep I got was an idiot, but the second one was good - when it took 10 minutes for me to get my NC stable enough to be able to retrieve the serial number - she understood my problem. Other than that, it is an awesome device - love it love it love it! Now just waiting on one with a good power button. (I see where refurbs come from - my NC is perfect but for the power button!!)
Rooting is tempting - but I will probably wait to see what the B&N app store has when it opens. I am hoping for a Kindle app, due to the massive amount of freebies they give away.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #30
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Kindle3 owner here... tried the NC at the store the other day...

I hope this doesn't come across as trolling, these were my honest opinions on the device...

Too heavy... without a case, it was already heavier than my K3 with its lighted leather case.

Too big, though not big enough. The example materials were magazine pages that didn't scale well to the screen. This could be resolved with magazines that are actually designed for the device, but images of paper pages didn't work well on the screen. It wasn't easy to zoom and pan, panning was a bit choppy, making the experience worse.

It's still LCD, and all press releases aside, it's still too reflective. The matte finish on my eeePC screen is FAR better than the NC. The resolution is too low, and it still emits light. Text looked much more pixelated than the eInk display on my K3 or the LCD on my Android phone.

Overall I was happy that I decided to go with the K3 rather than waiting for this next generation Nook.

Again, not trolling, just sharing my opinions for those who are on the fence.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote