Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Okay lets clarify something here.

Does paying for a antivirus program such as Norton or McAfee, give you anymore protection than say Avg or Avast which are free?

Or should I start a new thread?
I would compare Norton, McAfee, Symantec, etc. to the TSA's draconian scanning measures. Sure, they may protect better but at what cost? I personally feel they are overkill (that includes the TSA).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Friends,
Just don't let Friends do Norton.

And I am going to agree with Lady F.
AVG is following in Norton's foot steps (becoming bloated and hoggish.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #18
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The best virus/malware/spyware- protection is using an adblocker and a flash/scriptblocker together with some good, oldfashioned common sense. Oh, and displaying your email as text-only helps as well.

That said, I'm using an oldish version of Avira antivirus (with up-to-date definitions, of course) and have never had any issues with Calibre. I do seem to remember Norton flagging random software for what seems like grins and giggles, though.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
The best virus/malware/spyware- protection is using an adblocker and a flash/scriptblocker together with some good, oldfashioned common sense. Oh, and displaying your email as text-only helps as well.

That said, I'm using an oldish version of Avira antivirus (with up-to-date definitions, of course) and have never had any issues with Calibre. I do seem to remember Norton flagging random software for what seems like grins and giggles, though.
With you on that.

Eudora 7 and Forte' Agent (also for NNTP) for e-mail (text only mode only)
Not IE (except when visiting the US Government FTC briefings- which require IE only plug-ins)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:02 PM   #20
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
A Norton feature is that it evaluates and comments on d/l-ed programs and such based on its customer base experience. A relatively new d/l will get a more anxious report than an old one with lots of experience.

If you have a Norton running well then learn to use it and trust it - many don't and can't. AV's are like any other advice, worth precisely what you paid for it.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #21
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
...If you have a Norton running well then learn to use it and trust it - many don't and can't. AV's are like any other advice, worth precisely what you paid for it.
Sorry, I have had far more problems with Norton and Symantic than I have running Avast free in conjunction with ZoneAlarm's free firewall.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #22
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
AV's are like any other advice, worth precisely what you paid for it.
So, following that logic, we now know exactly what the advice in this forum is worth. I guess this translates to the software as well- sorry, Kovid.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Kovid is a toolmaker and not a Manichean wizard.

I have zero problems with my security suite that includes Norton. Hopefully it is not often challenged, virtual congress being what it is, like legislative, social and sexual (somebody is getting abused).
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Sorry, I have had far more problems with Norton and Symantic than I have running Avast free in conjunction with ZoneAlarm's free firewall.
If you have a router, you don't need ZoneAlarm.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I would compare Norton, McAfee, Symantec, etc. to the TSA's draconian scanning measures. Sure, they may protect better but at what cost? I personally feel they are overkill (that includes the TSA).
And they offer as little protection - one of our friends just had to get his computer "scrubbed" again after the second virus attack. Turns out it was actually being infected at the computer repair shop, the guy who sold him Norton. He was unaware of this, but did at least give our friend his money back.
We run the AVG free and Microsoft's free antivirus on various computers at home, depending on our personal choice. And no successful virus attacks on any computer in our house or at work for the 10 years I was there (and using AVG full version).
Norton makes a lot of noise and bluster, but it doesn't seem to be very effective at actually getting rid of REAL viruses.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #26
solitaire
Connoisseur
solitaire began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Galaxy S5
I am using Win 7 (64 bit) (12 G RAM and 2 X Quad Xeon X550 processors)and Kapersky Internet Security 9.0.0.736.

When starting with Kapersky running it takes Calibre 0.7.31 about 35 seconds to show the splash screen and an additional 12 seconds to show the list of books in the window.

With Kapersky disabled the splash screen and the books listings are almost instantaneous (less than a second).

I have tried this multiple times (to take the new caching feature into account) and I can reproduce these timings always.

Though Kapersky slows the startup time, it does Not flag this program as suspicious.

Also, once started, there is no discernable difference in task timings with Kapersky protection enabled or disabled.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Makes (some) sense as calibre does most of its disk I/O reading files, icons, libraries, the db etc at startup. If kaspersky is monitoring disk I/O that would explain the slowdown.

Boy am I lucky I don't need antivirus software
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
malwarebytes I've used for a long time now.....Microsoft security essentials I've got on the netbook.

Because my laptop is my "main" computer, I chose to go the Norton route, figuring paying more means better security.

Apparently, not.

I'm always careful about where I go, what I download, etc.

So maybe I can forgo the expense, and stay with the MSE program...

One thing I do know for sure. Any program Kovid says is safe, is safe.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #29
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Symantec is not a bad suite of security; I've seen much worse, and many of them do not have to be paid to cost

In fact many may be free, there are some free apllicaciones are very good.

However, for those who have criticized and criticized payment products, comparing them with free products, for my part I must report that I am not agree.

A suite of antivirus saves a lot of my time when family and friends using a computer and are neglected.

The fact that Symantec notified of changes in the new version may be a false positive, but that does not detract from the security suite.

That is so, because although CALIBRE may be correct, that is free and to view your code, someone could download something like a gauge, but is not the original caliber.

A security suite can help in this case.

Council, to block all attempts to connect Calibre, except in the moments that are using it, being aware of those connections.

not much, but it's something.

With regard to criticism, I just smile, do not try or want to create a flame, but I personally believe that these negative views are wrong. To me it seems interesting to have those tools, but always with a very personal control by the user.

With regard to the views of clear advertising, flash, java too? etc ... I can only laugh, of course if "navigate" in text mode, it will be very safe, but deadly boring.

Do not keep anything personal on your computer with internet connection, any attempt to control the output to the Internet is an act of trust, although many of you will create very smart.

bye regards, from Spain.

Last edited by KRorschachZ; 11-28-2010 at 07:40 PM.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
No flames, KRorschachZ, we understand there is different outlooks amongst our members.

What it comes down to is "who do you trust to give you advice"?

I think everyone agrees there is no 100% sure guarantee, a lot depends on the individual users awareness of what is downloaded, and common sense.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre malware report