Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #16
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie View Post
Thanks. I followed your instructions and it says:
"This device is disabled. (Code 22)
Click Enable Device to enable this device."
After I clicked Enable it told "Windows was not able to enable this device."
If you know how to safely check the registry, check the following and report back:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Services->Null
The values of "Start" and "Type" should be "1". Make sure both exist and are set correctly.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #17
goldie
goldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Thanks, Starson17, but if you don't mind, I need more specific instructions about how to do that. I'm not that computer literate.
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thanks. I followed your instructions and it says:

"This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device."

After I clicked Enable it told "Windows was not able to enable this device."

Any solution?
At this point, google will be your friend. Your windows installation is corrupt, and you will probably need to engage in some serious system management voodoo based on what happens during various attempts to repair.

Note that this is almost certainly not a calibre problem. The difficulty most probably stems from your system being infected by some virus or another. The virus may or may not have been cleaned (I hope it is, otherwise your machine is probably a spam 'bot), but clearly your system is currently broken. A quick search has turned up some 5 different problems that can cause the problems you are seeing.

In your situation, I would reinstall windows. The problem is that there is no way at this point to know exactly what changed your system, but we can be fairly sure that whatever did it was not your buddy. In my experience, a reinstallation almost always turns out to be faster than messing around trying to figure out what files/registry settings/environment settings have been corrupted.

I hope your machine came with installation media. Save your documents etc to some external storage (e.g., a USB drive), format the hard disk, reinstall windows and your software, then restore the documents. *DO NOT* backup and restore any software, or you may find yourself in exactly the same place where you are now.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Thanks, Starson17, but if you don't mind, I need more specific instructions about how to do that. I'm not that computer literate.
I didn't go into details, as I didn't want to send you down that road if you weren't already familiar with how to do it. I'm going to agree with Charles that a reinstall of Windows is likely to be the best solution for you. Even if you get this fixed, it's likely there are other problems with your system.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #20
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
After a bit of googling I found the following

Quote:
Please check the following registry key on your machine.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Services->Null

The values of "Start" and "Type" should be "1" (Hex). If you want it, I can
a screen shot for your reference.

Note:
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, please
check the following article.

Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;256986
The Start and Type entries are quite likely not to exist and need creating as new entries in your case as the null device is not enabled.
itimpi is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #21
goldie
goldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheesegoldie can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for all the advice, guys.

I just successfully installed Calibre onto my 2-year old Windows Vista laptop. I'm really diasppointed that with Norton running all the time on a desktop only 2 months old, I may have a virus which is going to cost me having to start again from scratch. How crap is that?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
goldie

Good news!

Just now I noticed that my computer got some new updates it wanted to install, so I restarted the computer and then just for the hell of it tried to lauch Calibre....and guess what?.....it works!!!

Could it be possible that MS knew that there was a problem with Windows 7 and therefore now sent a fix for it? Otherwise it is a miracle I cannot explain because I haven't had the chance to do the Windows reinstall that was suggested.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #23
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Good news!.....it works!!!
That's great! Trying to figure out why is like trying to figure out why neutrinos come in three flavors and three masses, but the masses don't match up to the flavors. We're all sure there's a "why" out there, but it's always just out of reach.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Good news!

Just now I noticed that my computer got some new updates it wanted to install, so I restarted the computer and then just for the hell of it tried to lauch Calibre....and guess what?.....it works!!!

Could it be possible that MS knew that there was a problem with Windows 7 and therefore now sent a fix for it? Otherwise it is a miracle I cannot explain because I haven't had the chance to do the Windows reinstall that was suggested.
Karma to you for keeping with it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #25
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
As an aside --- please note that sometimes an initial install of Calibre will fail unless you disable your anti-virus program, i.e., Microsoft Security Essentials, prior to installing. I can verify this with Windows XP, Vista, and 7.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:39 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Good news!

Microsoft includes in the monthly updates a tool called the Malicious Software Removal Tool. This 'update' scans your disk for well-known and newly dangerous infections, and cleans them. It is very possible that it fixed your problem.

The tool leaves a log in c:\windows\debug\mrt.log. If it did something for you, some trace should be left in that file.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote