Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
oh my god I haven't read any of those and I like non fiction. I especially liked Born to run and The lost city of Z, I'll guess they're too narrow to end up on the top 100 list.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Just read two from the Board list:

* The Double Helix by James Watson
* Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forester

Read three from the Readers list though:

* Ways of Seeing by John Berger
* Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose
* Longitude by Dava Sobel

Of these, I heartily recommend Undaunted Courage - excellent, absorbing read.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
Did you see the fiction list?

http://www.modernlibrary.com/top-100/100-best-novels/

Rand and Hubbard hold seven of the top ten spots on the Reader's List.
That's a very odd list indeed. "Battlefield Earth" is a decent enough "space opera" SF novel, but I seriously cannot imagine it being in the top 3 of anyone's reading list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
From the non-fiction category, I've read 4 from the board's list, and 4 from the reader's list, though due to overlap, I've only read 5 from the combined lists.
From the novel category, I've read 11 from the board's list (with three waiting to be read on my Nook).
I find the reader's non-fiction list somewhat schizophrenic. I've read 19 books on that list despite not being a fan of the more prevalent philosophies represented.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yep. Wanted to focus on non-fiction at the moment though.

Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #21
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
* The Elements of Style by Strunk & White (it's more of a reference book than a work of non-fiction, IMO).
I thought the same thing myself - doesn't belong on this type of list.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #22
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, but that's one of the few that I've read.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me "reading" it means you start at the beginning, and read each page to the end ... like a novel. Now,
I have done that with cookbooks, as well as The Almanac of American Politics, but I doubt all that many folks have done that with Strunk.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #24
kennyc

I certainly did...several times in fact....
Old 10-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #25
GA Russell
Als are 3-0
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
From the fiction lists:

8 of the board's, 5 of the readers'.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I certainly did...several times in fact....
Well then ... you've read it!
Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #27
kennyc

I think I'll read it again in fact...
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
lost66615
Enthusiast
lost66615 doesn't litterlost66615 doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx
read numbers 6,51 thats it
lost66615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #29
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
For me "reading" it means you start at the beginning, and read each page to the end ... like a novel. Now,
I have done that with cookbooks, as well as The Almanac of American Politics, but I doubt all that many folks have done that with Strunk.
I have. At least 3 times over the last 3 decades.

I'm not sure I could read it *again*, though...

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #30
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
This list must just be of Modern Library editions???

At any rate, it's good to see that The Varieties of Religious Experience is well-loved.

Beyond that, the list isn't worth much if it's just 100 of the most popular ML publications.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote