Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
disabling indexing

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceboy View Post
"So I gave up indexing and marked "read only" flag on index.db"

I am not a very technical person. Can you tell me a simple way to un-enable indexing? I plan to load many books on my Kindle 3 but I do not want them indexed.

Sure, I found a way! All you have to do is change a flag in the file start.sh...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=1341280
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Does anyone know what sort order is used by the Kindle indexing process? When looking at "Not Yet Indexed" list it is sorted by Title, but that does not appear to be the actual method. I am trying to find an easy way to discover which files are choking the sort process when indexing.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3
Sorry, I haven't a clue as to why the Kindle chooses to index books preferentially out of order
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I don't believe there is anyway to disable indexing on the Kindle, but if there is, someone here is sure to chime in.

Holly
What about deleting index.db file and create instead a folder with exactly the same name Index.db (case sensitive, as I think Linux treats caps and lower case differently) and also just in case mark it as read-only, hidden and also set the Archive attribute. If kindle will not be able to delete the folder, then maybe it will not be able to recreate another index.db file, and therefore it will not be able to start the index process.

Last edited by vitalidon; 08-29-2015 at 06:47 PM.
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As NiLuJe said in post #7, there are search commands that can disable indexing. See: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Search_Bar_Shortcuts
Many of these commands work across several Kindle models, including the ;di (indexerDisable) command.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 PM   #21
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle processes will run as root, therefore, they can overwrite any file they want. You can't protect root from itself.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kindle processes will run as root, therefore, they can overwrite any file they want. You can't protect root from itself.
Have you ever tried saving a file on a linux machine in the same location where there is already a folder? Clearly not...
You'd have to know the folder might exist and make sure to clean up first.

But hey, try this out and see if you get a different result:
Code:
[eschwartz@arch /tmp]$ mkdir somedir
[eschwartz@arch /tmp]$ sudo bash -c "echo blah > somedir"
bash: somedir: Is a directory
[eschwartz@arch /tmp]$ sudo wget -O somedir www.google.com
somedir: Is a directory
I assure you, not only is it a very interesting PEBKAC-stlye error, it is also one currently used here to great effect in blocking OTA updates.

tl;dr
no one ever suggested the goal was stopping the root user from overwriting a file.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-03-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
Andy_D
Connoisseur
Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Have you ever tried saving a file on a linux machine in the same location where there is already a folder? Clearly not...
no one ever suggested the goal was stopping the root user from overwriting a file.
Vitalidon did in a post above when trying to disable indexing:

"What about deleting index.db file and create instead a folder with exactly the same name Index.db [...] If kindle will not be able to delete the folder, then maybe it will not be able to recreate another index.db file, and therefore it will not be able to start the index process."

This doesn't work.

I tried something similar when I first got my Kindle with "special offers." I noticed that if the folder, .assets, in the system folder were deleted, no ads would be displayed, however within a day if one went online for even a minute the .assets folder would be re-created and ads would reappear as the folder filled with image files. Then I tried making a .assets file in the system folder on the same theory as the one espoused by the poster who wanted to disable indexing. However, no joy. The .assets file got deleted to make way for the .assets folder.

This is similar to Windows behavior. Using this method, I have successfuly stopped the creation of unwanted files created by various third party programs, but if one tries to prevent the creation of a system file, Windows has no trouble creating that file. Apparently Linux works the same way.
Andy_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Is this the right time to go on a lecture about the differences between:
  • the linux commands `rm` vs. `rmdir`
  • and the ubiquitous Windows command `del`?

The assets folder presumably got deleted in recursive mode, which is natural enough and catches a file too. Usually people programming with a single file in mind do not bother to use recursive mode, hence the verifiably working update.bin.tmp.partial/ update trick which you can read about in our Wiki: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates
And hence why I specifically referenced the manipulation of a "PEBKAC" error of Amazon's. Which may or may not be present in their indexer handling as well.

I have no idea why or how Windows does system files, but it is irrelevant since the name "system" on the Kindle, or indeed any linux OS, means nothing. The developers could have decided to name it "donkeys", and every last aspect of the Kindle would work identically in every respect. (Not entirely true -- the folder would no longer be invisible when plugged into a Windows computer.)

Stop speculating and start testing.