Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
matthewcplourde
Enthusiast
matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.matthewcplourde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. Farr View Post
Hey Matthew! Great blog you have, I just bookmarked it. And BTW, Mike Cane (@mikecane on Twitter) describes a writer thusly:

"a person who must write, who is unsuited to everything else except writing"

Works for me...

John Hamilton Farr
http://www.farrfeed.com/

Thanks so much John! I'm coast-hopping the next few days so I'll be sure to return the favor over at your blog, probably from some random airport.

@durkinrobinson - I'm not nearly that self-seeking, but I appreciate those who are... your words have a way of moving people. For me, I just love weaving a great story and Maya Angelou sums it up best:
“A bird doesn’t sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.”

@Valmore - That quote is a little too heady for me (I'm a simple guy). I prefer the straightforward: "Myth is more potent than history." (Story Teller's Creed) But, I'm a fiction writer, so...
matthewcplourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #17
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthrowsnaill View Post
Music is typically my muse. And I do think that my best ideas and concepts have come when I've been driving. Nice avatar btw.
Ooo thank you, it's the leading man's wheels out of my novel. I thought I might as well draw some of the stuff I bang on about in the book!

Cheers

MTM
M T McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think that one reason that I write is to create myths that help me to relate to reality. And in doing so my secret hope is to communicate with the reader on a mythical level something that I'm too clumsy to articulate in person or in an essay.
Another (vain) reason that I write is to leave something that will linger in this world after I'm gone.
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 AM   #19
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Why do I write? Because it's FUN! It's a blast creating living worlds and characters, and doing a weird sort of grown up make believe.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why I write, is a question I often ask myself. So far, I haven't received a suitable answer.

Beneath a Buried House

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE7J6I
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I agree it is fun imagining what someone might do in situation x, and of course if you do it well enough you might even get paid for your bit of make believe not to mention the thrill of seeing your name in print on something that may catch someone's interest yrs after you are gone. In a way a story or book is like a shared dream between the author and reader. I have enjoyed many such experiences that others have written and would like to add to that supply myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Why do I write? Because it's FUN! It's a blast creating living worlds and characters, and doing a weird sort of grown up make believe.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #22
basilsands
Arctic Warrior
basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!basilsands is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

The practical answer to why is to say that I at one time had a boring job with too much time on my hands and started writing to fill the time. The problem with that explanation though is that the stories actually just popped into my head on their own. I did not really try to make them happen, they just did. And then they kept coming, and are still coming.

It seems to be that it is not so much that I write as it is that I catch the story as it comes tumbling out of wherever it comes from. My muses are very fastidious and excessively talkative. I am just capturing the moment and putting in words.
basilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
Cliff Ball
Zealot
Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I write because sometimes I have to, the idea just won't leave me alone until I write it down.
Cliff Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think I write for the same reason I program (develop software):

I like to create.

I like to imagine something and then make it real. Writing stories and designing software are two ways that I can do that. In the latter, I imagine a program or game and then build it. In the former, I imagine characters and worlds and magics and I get to make those real too.

I like to create. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
naivejenni
naivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcovernaivejenni exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Ipad
writing takes me some place else. if i can imagine myself around there, smelling the flowers, then I know i did it!
naivejenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #26
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Because I can't sing Rock and Roll.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #27
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why do you write?

It can't be the money.

Beneath a Buried House

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003SE7J6I
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I write because I can't find the stories I want to read.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #29
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
It is the one way to go to the places I want to go to and meet the people I want to meet. But there is more than that. There's a satisfaction in exercising the discipline of crafting a story so that it actually works. I write software during the day, and there are some parallels. Software has to work right and, in a different way, so does a story.
But mostly I like reading my stories to my wife (can't read her the software, I tried :-)).
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
J.H. Farr
J.H. Farr doesn't litterJ.H. Farr doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Wow, I had no idea there were so many replies here! I'm not getting email notices, for some reason.

I just read all of these and identify with some aspect of every one. What rings most true for me, however, are the comments about something that can't be denied...
J.H. Farr is offline   Reply With Quote