Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #16
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Urban dictionary has editors? I never would've guessed after seeing some of the ridiculous garbage that gets listed there.
Ow quite so, the few entries I submitted to that site took weeks before they were accepted.

Of course, editor is not the same as preventor of sillyness. I rather think they thrive on it in fact.

That being said, I shall now go read on my Sony Touch, or go "touching" with my "device". Hopefully my partner will join in with her iPod Touch, so we can both be "touching" on the couch

Last edited by FragFrog; 10-29-2009 at 08:23 AM.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
Ow quite so, the few entries I submitted to that site took weeks before they were accepted.
Do they require examples of real-world usage in order to be accepted, as, for example, Wikipedia do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #18
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It's a slang dictionary, but I don't think entries are researched very well, if at all. Most words have several entries submitted by the readers.

When the Sci-Fi Channel changed it's name to SyFy, people were saying that the new name was slang for syphilis. The Urban Dictionary has several entries to that effect but they were all posted after the new name for the channel was announced.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
That being said, I shall now go read on my Sony Touch, or go "touching" with my "device". Hopefully my partner will join in with her iPod Touch, so we can both be "touching" on the couch
Can I watch?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm curious how the activity of "reading on a Nook" can have an "accepted" term, when the machine has not actually been released yet.
Exactly my thought and also that this is almost, but not quite as silly as that liesuseses stuff!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Can I watch?
The look on your icon's face really sells the question.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #22
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
UD will accept anything, you make it sound like there is an extensive vetting process.
Anything? You try submitting and see if it gets through. Most don't make it through the vetting process. Go head, try one and report back here.
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Urban dictionary has editors? I never would've guessed after seeing some of the ridiculous garbage that gets listed there.
They do! The vetting process is by some kind of mysterious popular vote. Try submitting something and you will see how the process works.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #24
danbloom
Banned

Quote:
I'm curious how the activity of "reading on a Nook" can have an "accepted" term, when the machine has not actually been released yet.
Slang terms happen at the speed of light, HarryT.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #25
danbloom
Banned

Quote:
Do they require examples of real-world usage in order to be accepted, as, for example, Wikipedia do?
No, but examples of each definition must be submitted and they must make sense.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
So "booking" means reading a book?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:31 AM   #27
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
So "booking" means reading a book?
I was going to say that, but I couldn't Logitech the cursor over to the textbox fast enought to Aitchpee the words in. That and I'm a slow Optiquester.

Hmm. That gives me an idea for a new story. I was going to Pentel it down, but I can't. I'll have to Staedtler it, instead.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 AM   #28
danbloom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I was going to say that, but I couldn't Logitech the cursor over to the textbox fast enought to Aitchpee the words in. That and I'm a slow Optiquester.

Hmm. That gives me an idea for a new story. I was going to Pentel it down, but I can't. I'll have to Staedtler it, instead.
Humor helps, I always say. Love it!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #29
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post

Good point.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
especially as I have already heard kindle used as a verb quite a few times
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fake controversy, silly