Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I wonder if the lack of the flush screen (which I didn't like at all) means that it's also infrared touch (don't like capacitive touch either). But even if it's infrared, I don't see anything worth upgrading to this new reader no matter which one you currently have.

And I can't imagine anything other than a light sensor in that spot on the top right side of the bezel.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #17
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I wonder if the lack of the flush screen (which I didn't like at all) means that it's also infrared touch (don't like capacitive touch either). But even if it's infrared, I don't see anything worth upgrading to this new reader no matter which one you currently have.

And I can't imagine anything other than a light sensor in that spot on the top right side of the bezel.
I can, perhaps a LED that blinks when you power it on.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 02:56 AM   #18
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I can, perhaps a LED that blinks when you power it on.
http://www.startlr.com/kobo-aura-edi...wifi-to-130-e/

Quote:
but the technology frontlight has been significantly improved thanks to Comfortlight that automatically adjusts the light intensity depending on the environmental conditions for a “more restful reading”.
I still think it's a light sensor.

Last edited by oren64; 08-20-2016 at 03:19 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #19
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the Aura Edition 2 will have the OverDrive integration and the Glo HD and older Kobo's not, then maybe that could be enough reason for some people to buy it instead of the Glo HD.

Kobo might have to pay licence fees to OverDrive and/or Adobe to include the OverDrive/Adobe fulfillment software on the device, or maybe they expect fewer ebook sales to people who buy it for the OverDrive integration, which might explain the price being almost as much as the higher-spec Glo HD.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 AM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
If the Aura Edition 2 will have the OverDrive integration and the Glo HD and older Kobo's not, then maybe that could be enough reason for some people to buy it instead of the Glo HD.

Kobo might have to pay licence fees to OverDrive and/or Adobe to include the OverDrive/Adobe fulfillment software on the device, or maybe they expect fewer ebook sales to people who buy it for the OverDrive integration, which might explain the price being almost as much as the higher-spec Glo HD.
Overdrive and Kobo both belong to the smae Japanese company.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 AM   #21
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post

I think OverDrive is gonig to be on all devices, if you check the specs of Glo HD, Aura H2O, Aura One and Aura E2, you see "Read eBooks borrowed from Public Library"

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-glo-hd
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
I think OverDrive is gonig to be on all devices, if you check the specs of Glo HD, Aura H2O, Aura One and Aura E2, you see "Read eBooks borrowed from Public Library"

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-glo-hd
But, you can already do that. You can borrow the books using a PC and sideload using ADE. The important difference is that you can borrow the books using the Aura One. So far that is not mentioned for any other device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Overdrive and Kobo both belong to the smae Japanese company.
I don't think that would make a difference. My bank and my power supplier have the same owner, but I'm pretty sure the bank still has to pay its power bills and the power company still has to pay bank fees.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #24
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini

Last edited by filmo; 08-20-2016 at 10:04 AM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #25
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, you can already do that. You can borrow the books using a PC and sideload using ADE. The important difference is that you can borrow the books using the Aura One. So far that is not mentioned for any other device.
Have any reviews of the Aura Edition Two mentioned Overdrive?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 05:38 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't think anyeon has this ereader yet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And there is no mention of Overdrive on Kobo's page for the Aura Edition 2.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #28
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And there is no mention of Overdrive on Kobo's page for the Aura Edition 2.
That is an interesting observation - The Aura One and the Aura Edition 2 descriptions use the same graphic to show "Over 5 Million Titles..." are available from the Kobo bookstore, but only the Aura One has the "Borrowing eBooks has never been easier" graphic. I primary use the library for books so this would be a nice feature to have. If the Edition 2 does not have this feature, or even if this becomes a standard firmware feature that goes to old units, it is another thing that takes away from the differentiation of this model and make one wonder where it fits.

It may mean something or nothing, but we won't know until release of the units and/or the firmware. The anticipation is part of the fun.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Long term, I think Overdrive will come to the other devices. It's more a matter of when and if something else will be needed. I was expecting it on the Aura Edition 2, as it was being released with the Aura One. I could see them not releasing it to the older devices such as the Touch, Mini and Glo. And there might be a technical justification as these have less RAM than the newer devices. The original Aura and Aura HD are harder to guess about, but the Aura H2O and Glo HD are still being sold, so I think not enabling the function would be a bad idea.

Someone suggested the problem might be licensing. Maybe that is included in the price of the Aura One. For older devices, they might need to charge something extra. Maybe we'll see some sort of subscription service that includes Overdrive. Purchase that, and you can borrow books through the device.

In the short term, reserving Overdrive for the Aura One makes sense. Long term, I think it makes sense to have the function on as many devices as possible.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:03 PM   #30
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
I wonder how the revenue model works for Overdrive... I suspect that they get paid a fee by the libraries. If it is a pay per use, Kobo and Overdrive would have good motivation to make borrowing as easy as possible. It may just be a flat rate per library or book.
Overdrive is a local company for me in the Cleveland Ohio area. I encouraged my son, who just graduated with a degree in Computer Science, to apply for work with Overdrive, and therefore guaranteed that would never send them an application. (He is gainfully employed with an excellent company, accomplished without his father's manipulation.)
I hope Overdrive does well, and I hope we get Overdrive on the old Aura!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote