Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #16
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For the weather widget...press and hold it until it lets you drag it and it should hopefully stick. But I have had issues with another clock apparently being just enough too big the widget wouldn't fit.

For the wifi and brightness I actually searched the market and downloaded ones that looked nice to me. I then tested them to make sure they worked to my satisfaction. One of the wifi toggles wouldn't reconnect my router.

The battery app is called battery indicator. There is a light version I think but I'm not sure if it included the widget. There is also a pay version and that's what I have installed. Try the free one first.

Last edited by French; 12-18-2010 at 08:07 AM.
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh View Post
Here's my screen. It's mostly games for my daughter so it's easy for her to get to them. otherwise she may accidentally do something that I won't be able to fix. She's done that before with other stuff of "daddy's"...
Very nice! Is that live wallpaper?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Very nice! Is that live wallpaper?
no.. just a normal wall paper from interfacelift.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #19
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
... Very cool stuff guys. I have no reason to need a NC, but now I want one just so I can fiddle with it, lol.
Eggg-zackly! When the NC was announced, I wasn't planning on buying one, because of the non-replaceable battery. Now there's one under the tree (thanks, honey!) and Auto-nooter 2.12.15 is loaded and waiting. Pics to follow after unwrapping...
gtriever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #20
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
I found an image of the Nook Color internals last night, along with a quick review on some forum (somewhere), and the person mentioned that after cracking the NC open that you will find a battery with pull-off connectors (not soldered). 10 screws and a pull-off connector, I can handle that.

Anybody else with some nifty desktops?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Desktop.
How do you do that? Particularly the weather and such? I can't figure out how to get my newly downloaded icons into my Extras screen! I KNOW I'm smart enough! Must be the equipment...
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
How do you do that? Particularly the weather and such? I can't figure out how to get my newly downloaded icons into my Extras screen! I KNOW I'm smart enough! Must be the equipment...
We have installed a home screen replacement launcher. It replaces the default NC homescreen (you can still easily access it though).

The common home screen launchers are Launcher Pro (there is dock of icons that can't be replaced...you're stuck with a phone icon), ADW Launcher, and Zeam. Krypto and I use ADW. French uses Zeam.

People use widgets for their date, time, and weather. I use Beautiful Widgets. There are many others. You can ask for recommendations.

What do you mean by "getting my downloaded icons into my Extras screen". Sometimes you have to reboot for them to show up in the stock Extras screen if you don't have another home screen launcher.

Last edited by SCION; 12-18-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #23
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
(I apologize ahead of time if I oversimplified anything here, especially if you already have a firm knowledge of this stuff)

Roger, I'm not totally clear on your question, but I'll see if I can give my view on it. Keep in mind, the NC's are rooted (hacked), so they don't really look anything like the stock B&N Nook Color after you bring it home from the store. Per Scion's recommendation, I'm also using ADW.Launcher which allows you some new options on your desktop (amongst a few other nifty things). You could liken any custom "launcher" to a customized Windows desktop I suppose, with extra icon trays and shortcut bars and such.

[post rooting] The Android OS basically only has (2) Screens, the "desktop" (or Home) screen, and the "Drawer" screen. The Android desktop (home) screen is of course what appears after starting up the NC. The Drawer is basically a list of all your installed applications.

If you want to have an icon (shortcut) of any application on your desktop, go to the drawer, and hold down on one of the app icons, at which point your desktop will appear and you can further place the new icon shortcut anywhere you wish on the desktop. So, you see all the icon shortcuts on our desktops.

The nifty calendars and weather/clocks and stuff that you see on the desktop are not shortcuts, but rather "Widgets." Some programs, like calendar, may already be installed, but don't really have a nice widget for that application. So you download a custom widget, and then activate the widget on the desktop. As I recall, my clock and weather widgets were called "Fancy Widget."

After rooting, you should have access to the Android Market, where you can download all these nifty apps and widgets, some free, some cost a couple dollars (most have a free version you can try out first).
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #24
rogerperk
Connoisseur
rogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enoughrogerperk will become famous soon enough

Device: NC Rooted
Thanks Scion and Krypto! I was using Launcher Pro and just changed to ADW. I have a rooted HD2 so I'm not a total newb but I'm struggling with this for some reason. I appreciate the patience and help. Krypto, what I was trying to say was that my apps that I have downloaded don't have icons in the Extra area where the other apps are. But I'll learn this and stop pestering you guy! (eventually...)
rogerperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #25
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerperk View Post
Thanks Scion and Krypto! I was using Launcher Pro and just changed to ADW. I have a rooted HD2 so I'm not a total newb but I'm struggling with this for some reason. I appreciate the patience and help. Krypto, what I was trying to say was that my apps that I have downloaded don't have icons in the Extra area where the other apps are. But I'll learn this and stop pestering you guy! (eventually...)
And when you learn it, I'll probably be pestering you since I'm still a week or so from rooting.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

My screens on my non-rooted NC. I went for a nautical theme with three views from a simulated ships bridge.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	370
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	63113   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.png
Views:	399
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	63114   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3.png
Views:	338
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	63115  
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My screens on my non-rooted NC. I went for a nautical theme with three views from a simulated ships bridge.

Very cool! I like that.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroh View Post
Here's my screen. It's mostly games for my daughter so it's easy for her to get to them. otherwise she may accidentally do something that I won't be able to fix. She's done that before with other stuff of "daddy's"...
Sounds like Santa needs to get her a rooted NC for Christmas.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Very nice.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #30
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Here's mine after rooting tonight. Risqué perhaps but not obscene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NookColor Screenshot.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	598.6 KB
ID:	63475  
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote