Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #16
dav
dav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
This is what i did to fix the footnote problem:

1) download file http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.4.3.2.bin
2) disable wifi on your Paperwhite 2 (airplane mode)
3) connect your Kindle Paperwhite 2 to your computer (DO NOT DISCONNECT UNTIL LAST STEP!)
4) copy the bin file you downloaded in step 1 to root folder of PW2
5) wait at least 2 minutes after copy has completed
6) push and hold power button until your PW2 restarts (the led blinks orange and light turns on at the screen)
7) wait until the PW2 has installed the upgrade (really a downgrade
8) now you can DISCONNECT from your computer

If you need wifi you should not stay on long as the automatic update will install. Do not install until Amazon have a update with footnote support.
Enjoy
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #17
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@dav-
If you want to control when / if updates happen and yet use your wifi, you just need to go a small step further.... jailbreak, add KUAL and then add the BackDoorLock hack which prevents unwanted or silent updates. (you can always manually add an update if you decide that you want it)
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #18
dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@dav-
If you want to control when / if updates happen and yet use your wifi, you just need to go a small step further.... jailbreak, add KUAL and then add the BackDoorLock hack which prevents unwanted or silent updates. (you can always manually add an update if you decide that you want it)
I tried the JB stuff - but unsuccessfull. Is there a good step by step instruction?
Just after i tried JB the kindle updated itself and after that it was impossible. But of course after downgrade it will be easier.

One of the possibilities i would like is to make custom search scripts so i can search the norwegian online dictionary instead of wikipedia. Also my kindle search "Nynorsk" wikipedia - a form of norwegian writing used by a minority of the people here ant therefore not updated articles.

(example of search line: "http://www.nob-ordbok.uio.no/perl/ordbok.cgi?OPP=banan" where everything after the equal sign is searched for)

Last edited by dav; 09-05-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #19
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@dav-
Now that you have 'downgraded', you should be able to apply the jailbreak. If you have problems, post in the jailbreak thread for help.
As to your other need, not sure I understand or can help - perhaps the AcXE Enabler could help. Again, post in the Developer's Corner as they are extremely helpful.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #20
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Also note that there is a second, easier update blocker. Both are described and linked to, here: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #21
dav

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Also note that there is a second, easier update blocker. Both are described and linked to, here: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates
Thank you!
Yes - it seems like the folder "update.bin.tmp.partial" in root of kindle does the trick. Will wait with jb until I see the need. A little afraid of beeing dependent on something amazon probably will take away anyway??
Old 10-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #22
lucia95
lucia95 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin61 View Post
I own a Paperwhite 2 2 GB
I was stupid enough to gulp whatever Amazon was throwing at me (that is 5.4.5.1} and without jailbreaking it beforehand, no less. After struggling for 1 1/2 days, I managed to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 and I thought there might be people interested in how to do it.
The mistake I was making in trying to downgrade was to disconnect the Kindle from the computer (simply pulling the plug) and then pressing the power button. And always got the error message.
Finally, today I didn't unplug the Kindle at all, I just kept the power button pressed for something like 30 seconds and it started the "update" procedure which successfully completed. Now I will just do what I had to do from the beginning, jailbreak it.
So, if you have the latest firmware, just copy it in the root and pressthe power button of the Kindle long enough. Don't bother to close the Kindle directory on the computer - it will close by itself.
Good luck and thanks to the people who came with the idea!
thanks so much for sharing I had the same problem
lucia95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #23
Aliaslaurent
Aliaslaurent began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
I've just received a brand new Kindlle PW2 with a 5.4.5.2 firmware.
Can I apply the process described by DAV and downgrade in 5.4.3.2 ?

Thanks a lot for your help
Laurent
Aliaslaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You should be able to, yes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Wait, 5.4.5.2? That's new.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 AM   #26
Aliaslaurent
Aliaslaurent began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
So sorry the kindle is a 5.4.5.1 firmware
My fault !
Downgrade successful, thanks DAV
Aliaslaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #27
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worries, it wasn't that far fetched, which is why I asked for confirmation .
Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #28
jlggross
jlggross began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin61 View Post
I own a Paperwhite 2 2 GB
I was stupid enough to gulp whatever Amazon was throwing at me (that is 5.4.5.1} and without jailbreaking it beforehand, no less. After struggling for 1 1/2 days, I managed to downgrade to 5.4.3.2 and I thought there might be people interested in how to do it.
The mistake I was making in trying to downgrade was to disconnect the Kindle from the computer (simply pulling the plug) and then pressing the power button. And always got the error message.
Finally, today I didn't unplug the Kindle at all, I just kept the power button pressed for something like 30 seconds and it started the "update" procedure which successfully completed. Now I will just do what I had to do from the beginning, jailbreak it.
So, if you have the latest firmware, just copy it in the root and pressthe power button of the Kindle long enough. Don't bother to close the Kindle directory on the computer - it will close by itself.
Good luck and thanks to the people who came with the idea!
Many thanks for your tips! That was exactly the problem I was going through

I was with Kindle Paperwhite firmware 5.4.5.1 and now it is 5.4.3.2. Time to Jailbreak now!

Last edited by jlggross; 02-06-2015 at 08:47 AM.
jlggross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #29
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Hello,

After downgrading my PW1 from 5.4.4.2 to 5.3.4, all is fine, except the "book" called Kindle FreeTime Amazon, marked as personal. This one is here, I cannot open it, I cannot delete it. What is wrong?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@hfpop: Possibly catalog database mismatches. See if killing the gui, removing /var/local/cc.db and restarting the gui helps?

Tags
downgrade, firmware downgrade, kindle paperwhite