Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Could touch technology improve your reading experience?
Yes 58 65.17%
No 12 13.48%
Maybe 19 21.35%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #16
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way does it differ from the iLiad's touch screen?
iLiad -> Wacom -> requires pen -> not pressure-sensitive.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:11 AM   #17
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
video 2008 display in tokoy :

Thanks, much appreciated. I am not sure if I am correct, but this appears to be an E Ink panel with Wacom technology. Not the same as what PVI has announced.
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Ramen
Connoisseur
Ramen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-booksRamen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, BeBook
If the responsiveness works out, this would open an ebook device for a lot of non-ebook stuff. For enhancing the actual reading experience, not so much for me.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #19
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Handwriting recognition can work quite well --- Evernote's RitePen is amazingly good w/ a nice interface.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
iLiad -> Wacom -> requires pen -> not pressure-sensitive.
It is pressure sensitive. The iLiad doesn't currently DO anything with the pressure information, but it is there.

I must admit that, for something like a bookreader, I prefer a "button driven" interface to one that involves touching the screen. I have an absolutely phobia about fingerprints on the screen - if I see a screen that's not absolutely spotless I have a compulsive urge to clean it! I'd hate to use a UI which involved pressing on the screen - I'd have to use a stylus and that would be a nuicance as far as I'm concerned. I far prefer hardware buttons.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch

Quote:
It is pressure sensitive. The iLiad doesn't currently DO anything with the pressure information, but it is there.
I admit I am not 100% certain here, but I do believe that technically, the iLiad screen is not pressure sensitive. What it would require to process pressure information is a pressure sensitive stylus, which is different what PVI proposes here.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
But the hardware can support it, right? If so then it's just a software support issue. Okay, a big issue.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #23
TadW
Uebermensch

Well, depends on how you view it. The iLiad relies on the pressure information given by a special pen; it wouldn't work with any other object. The PVI solution discussed here doesn't need any "auxiliary" input device -- in this way the screen is fully pressure-sensitive-enabled.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Okay, if you want to split that hair, I can go follow the logic.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Okay, if you want to split that hair, I can go follow the logic.
It is not really splitting a hair. It is a pressure sensitive screen vs. a pressure sensitive stylus. Very different technologies to achieve similar results.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #26
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
How much do we need to cram into a reading device? If the idea is to make a tablet computer out of an ereader, then a touch screen is a boon, but I am with Harry when it comes to readers: I want a clean screen and hardware buttons. I don't think there is enough margin room for me to scribble notes, so I would be better off making notes via a keyboard, as I do now on the Kindle. And writing on a screen is quite different from writing on paper: because of the smoothness the writing instrument slides a lot, something I don't like.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I love taking notes on the iLiad, and wish desperately that it had handwriting recognition as good as my Newton Messagepad 2000 had all those years ago (mostly for indexing purposes, so I could find what I've written). As far as I can tell, it's a software issue on the iLiad. I don't know of any Linux-based handwriting recognition packages at this point, free OR for sale. Switching to a "pressure-sensitive screen" instead of a "pressure-sensitive stylus" would not change that.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #28
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
Quote:
Does anyone know that this means:

Wacom-type touch screens, such as are used on the iLiad and on Tablet PCs, can certainly be used for handwriting recognition. Is this not what's meant by "capacitive touch panels"?

Capacitive touch panels are coated on top of the display, so it makes the e-paper display less attractive, it dims its contrast ratio. Also, capacitive touch panels cannot do pen input.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:31 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I admit I am not 100% certain here, but I do believe that technically, the iLiad screen is not pressure sensitive. What it would require to process pressure information is a pressure sensitive stylus, which is different what PVI proposes here.
My understanding is that the stylus supplied with the iLiad is not pressure sensitive. However, one can use an alternate Wacom stylus on the iLiad which DOES provide pressue information, and that information is then available to software. ie the iLiad "supports" pressure information.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #30
TadW
Uebermensch

Harry, I hate splitting that hair (hi Nat )), but your original question was not whether the iLiad could support pressure information (IF you had the right stylus and IF the software supported it), but how the iLiad screen differed from the PVI screen. Clearly, there is a difference, in that the iLiad would require auxiliary devices to receive this information (by itself, it knows nothing about pressure), whereas the PVI screen has the technology built-in.

Tags
e ink, pvi, touch screen