Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I do notice regional differences, mostly, and hate seeing them "translated". I'd rather have to google a word or phrase than think "there's a no way a character from X would say Y"
This is my opinion too.
Knock me up also has different connotations depending on whether it is said by an American or a Brit. I was at a university function and laughed at the expression on an American professor's face when a visiting British professor asked him to knock her up in the morning.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I've just been reminded of another tiresome example of craven capitulation to coca-colonization in language: Reading Detective Kubu 3 which is set in Botswana and written by 2 South Africans. Both countries use Celsius for temperature and yet the book has a Motswana saying "it must be well over a hundred degrees out there". Not only does this annoy me because of forcing to find out what that temperature IS, it's annoying because it's not something the character WOULD say. Dollars to donuts the authors WROTE Celsius but the publishers changed it for that same audience who would be confused by seeing "Mum" not "Mom"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #18
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
I can cope with regional differences quite well (except for the 1st floor, for some reason) but I must agree with @Uncle Robin that I abhor forced/bad translations. They sometimes even translate character’s names (Discworld). Horrible.

Regarding measurement units, I’m undecided. Since I try to "dive into" the book when reading, I prefer original units (mi/km, °C/°F, pressure), but that’s debatable. A foreign reader might just want these converted to their usual units in order not break the reading flow.

What I detest most are still errors in orthography and bad typography. And scanning errors. These can actually make me abort a book—or start hours-long sessions to repair it…
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Nothing trips me up. English is not my native language and I don't even notice any regional differences; it's all English to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
It's the same for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This is my opinion too.
Knock me up also has different connotations depending on whether it is said by an American or a Brit. I was at a university function and laughed at the expression on an American professor's face when a visiting British professor asked him to knock her up in the morning.
Apache
Similarly, I once knew someone who went on a study abroad trip to England and discovered that saying "I'm stuffed" had a completely different meaning there!

This reminds me of another British phrase that always cracks me up - "fell pregnant". It sounds like somebody just sort of fell over and somehow miraculously conceived.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Not sure if it is still common, but I paused when I heard cigarettes referred to as 'fags.'

And I do remember a friend going to England and being concerned when a coworker said she would just bash something in to the computer.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase59 View Post
Regarding measurement units, I’m undecided. Since I try to "dive into" the book when reading, I prefer original units (mi/km, °C/°F, pressure), but that’s debatable. A foreign reader might just want these converted to their usual units in order not break the reading flow.
Yes. If a character comes in complaining that it must be 37 outside, does that mean it is hot or cold?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:16 PM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I do notice regional differences, mostly, and hate seeing them "translated". I'd rather have to google a word or phrase than think "there's a no way a character from X would say Y"
Yes. It's a sort of Cultural Vandalism.

Also temperatures need °F or °C

No need to update money even in old Children's books.

I mostly use metric in my SF unless it's an American. UK characters are more complicated because UK uses a mix of metric and imperial. Ireland more metric with distances as km and speeds as kph. It's a translation anyway on Alien worlds.

In Fantasy Otherworlds I'd mostly use imperial or archaic units, but °C if temperature explicit values. Most of those stories connect to here, now, so when an undercover party is in New York, Washington DC, England, Belfast, Limerick, Jerusalem or wherever they'd use local terms for everyday things to blend in.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Very little trips me up when reading different English variants any more. Having watched a ton of British, Welsh, Canadian, Newfie, Scottish, Irish, South African, or Australian television over the years (as well as having read many "untranslated" books from same), I rarely encounter anything that really throws me ('cept maybe for Newfie ). On the rare occasions it happens, context is usually sufficient to keep things rolling right along. I actually enjoy encountering different dialects, colloquialisms and regional slang (both written and spoken) in the one language I'm fluent in.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 12:54 PM   #24
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Not sure if it is still common, but I paused when I heard cigarettes referred to as 'fags.'
Still around although not so much these days with the anti-smoking lobby. Now if I said a character was going for a quick slash, would an American understand what they were doing? Or where they were doing it? (The bog or the loo.)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:03 PM   #25
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Still around although not so much these days with the anti-smoking lobby. Now if I said a character was going for a quick slash, would an American understand what they were doing? Or where they were doing it? (The bog or the loo.)
I would ask who or what you were cutting. Why are the choices either a swamp or a toilet?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:52 PM   #26
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Quote:
Now if I said a character was going for a quick slash, would an American understand what they were doing?
He could be quickly cutting down an enemy while strolling along the war zone with a friend, talking. ;-) Actually, he’d probably do some high-speed urinating.
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #27
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Yup, indeedy. The gentleman concerned is having a quick pee in the toilet. Which is why the US term restroom trips me up - why on earth would one be relieving oneself somewhere where one is having a rest? It's rather unhygienic to say the least... What's wrong with asking for the toilet? (Bog and loo are British slang for the toilet.)
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 02:34 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Yup, indeedy. The gentleman concerned is having a quick pee in the toilet. Which is why the US term restroom trips me up - why on earth would one be relieving oneself somewhere where one is having a rest? It's rather unhygienic to say the least... What's wrong with asking for the toilet? (Bog and loo are British slang for the toilet.)
One could just as easily ask why one would be relieving oneself in the cloakroom? Talk about unhygienic.

“Uh, no thank you, I think I’ll hang on to my cloak, I mean coat.”
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 03:32 PM   #29
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Pants - UK underwear, US trousers
Rug - UK blanket, US carpet. Though I’ve been told elsewhere that the UK usage is outdated now, not really used any more. Still, I seem to come across it in mysteries all the time. When they pull a rug out o’ the boot. (And not one of those with a body rolled inside)
Purse - UK coin purse/ladies wallet, US handbag
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:44 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Never heard anyone in the US say "rug" when they meant carpet. Must be regional?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote