Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-23-2021, 02:13 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I wondered that too. It sounds like this is the issue he had:

That was over 10 years ago so who knows if the issue still exists or not.
I don't use LibraryThing like I used to. But from memory it was more like the old Wikipedia in that it was a set of tools and you can edit things yourself. I have never found a book I couldn't enter, and I have something like 6,500 books entered.

GoodReads is much more top down/locked down.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 07:02 AM   #17
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I ended up paying for BookBuddy and slowly adding my home library. I love that there are so many categories to add eg purchase date, price, place and also physical location of the book which is great for me.

I’ve also exported my GR books into Storygraph and will be giving that a whirl for awhile.

If anyone else finds a good library cataloguing system and a reading tracker app please let me know.
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2021, 12:45 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ugh, I've complained before about Goodreads reviews that were made up of memes and other posters here didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Here's one for the book I started last night: The Last Astronaut by David Wellington. It's the #1 liked review.

Another one for a book I really enjoyed: Ring Shout

And The Saturday Night Ghost Club, Of Mice and Men, The Outsider

This is part of why I don't use Goodreads more.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:27 PM   #19
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Ugh, I've complained before about Goodreads reviews that were made up of memes and other posters here didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Here's one for the book I started last night: The Last Astronaut by David Wellington. It's the #1 liked review.

I agree the constant GIFs can get obnoxious. I use them every once in awhile but those reviews go overboard
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #20
HiSven
HiSven began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, I have a question about converting a pdf file into ePub. I'm working with calibre and would like to publish the pub file on BOD (Book on demand). After uploading, I get a bunch of error messages (20 times nearly the same):

index_split_000.html (2,64):
Error while parsing file 'value of attribute "lang" is invalid; must be an RFC 3066 language identifier'.

How to deal with it? Which settings should I choose in Calibre?

Happy new year,
Sven
HiSven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2022, 05:34 PM   #21
Bembo
Enthusiast
Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'm still on Goodreads. I found Storygraph's interface and statistics convenient but it seems to have much less of a visible social impact; you have to click to see reviews, etc. Maybe it will continue to improve, but for now, it's hard for me to get into it.
Bembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:13 PM   #22
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:

Yeah, those gifs are obnoxious.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:37 PM   #23
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

Sometimes I come across a book by an unfamiliar author and look at Goodreads reviews for more info before deciding whether to read it. If the reviews are full of GIFs (or photos of actors that the reviewer thinks represent the characters) I assume I am not the book's target audience and move on!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:07 AM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Sometimes I come across a book by an unfamiliar author and look at Goodreads reviews for more info before deciding whether to read it. If the reviews are full of GIFs (or photos of actors that the reviewer thinks represent the characters) I assume I am not the book's target audience and move on!
I can understand that feeling. But then one of the books I linked to was Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and another was the very good Ring Shout.

Those 'reviews' are irritating and make me think less of Goodreads overall (the popularity of such things makes me feel that GR is a social media site that happens to be based on books, rather than a book site with a social media aspect). But the book may not have done anything to deserve your scorn.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:23 AM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I have a similar reaction.

Quote:
I can understand that feeling. But then one of the books I linked to was Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and another was the very good Ring Shout.

Those 'reviews' are irritating and make me think less of Goodreads overall (the popularity of such things makes me feel that GR is a social media site that happens to be based on books, rather than a book site with a social media aspect). But the book may not have done anything to deserve your scorn.
No, but sometimes we resort to coarse filters and nothing wrong with that; also, someone’s probably heard of OM&M or certainly Steinbeck. For an unknown, I think it’s a reasonable response.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:26 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Another thing that really bothers me about Goodreads is that they allow people to fill up the ratings/reviews with all kinds of crap before the book is even published. So when the book comes out, it can have many ratings/reviews that are 100% worthless.

I don't care how good or not people think the book may be. I want to know what they actually think based on having read it or having tried to read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No, but sometimes we resort to coarse filters and nothing wrong with that; also, someone’s probably heard of OM&M or certainly Steinbeck. For an unknown, I think it’s a reasonable response.
OM&M = Orange M&M.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:29 AM   #28
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:

Geez, I didn't notice one of your links was Of Mice and Men.

My thinking was that the people reading and enjoying the books that had the GIFs and actor photos were probably all a lot younger than I am and had different taste from me so I was probably not likely to share their reading interests. Usually the books I'm looking up are some random newer author that popped up on the new listings at my Overdrive library.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote