Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you want a quick rundown on how karma works, there's a now page on it in the Wiki.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #17
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
With a dictionary it would be handy to have a search function. Otherwise lookup will be tedious. But sometimes I just like to read the dictionary. I also have some pBooks somewhere that are special dictionaries -- quotations, slang, medical terminology, etc.

There is an older Webster's Dictionary in the Gutenberg collection. Maybe it is, as George Carlin would say, "Fine but not dandy."

thanks for the link, with 10 buttons, a multi-level TOC should be able to narrow down most words quickly.
i will play around with the pdf api to see if i can automate this process, if you come across any other dictionaries,
please let me know.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #18
AdamT
AdamT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi everyone,

I thought the address book idea was a good one, so I've written a standalone java program to parse a VCard file, and output a PDF for the reader. It works (with caveats) on my Palm address book but I've not tried it on any other data yet.

It features a reasonable menu system to get to the address you want quickly, using the joystick. It would be much better if I knew how to use the numeric keys!

Although it's probably best classed as pre-alpha it works well enough as a proof of concept.

Is anyone interested in giving it a go?
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
AdamT, I'd guess that if you were to post that rascal in the Reader Development sub-forum, you'd likely find a number of folks to help you test it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #20
AdamT

Consider it done!
Advert
Old 06-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Anyone remember Hypercard?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
Hi everyone,

I thought the address book idea was a good one, so I've written a standalone java program to parse a VCard file, and output a PDF for the reader. It works (with caveats) on my Palm address book but I've not tried it on any other data yet.

It features a reasonable menu system to get to the address you want quickly, using the joystick. It would be much better if I knew how to use the numeric keys!

Although it's probably best classed as pre-alpha it works well enough as a proof of concept.

Is anyone interested in giving it a go?
Any chance you could actually make it work with Eudora Pro instead of Vcard? I happen to loath anything to do with Outlook or the Exress version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 AM   #23
AdamT

I don't know if Eudora Pro will export vCards but if not there might be another application you could download to get that functionality and then you should be good to go. Parsing another format would essentially mean a complete re-write.

For what it's worth, I don't use Outlook either!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #24
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You must be the champion "karma giver" here, UncleDuke. It's much appreciated .

It is a nice idea to boost the karma of someone who's done something helpful. Always good to bear that in mind, especially perhaps for new users who may not be aware of the way the "system" works.
shucks, you make an old guy blush

all the karma i give is deserved, you guys and gals do great things i can't and it only seems right to reward you folks for it

karma cost me nothing, doughnuts are a little more, once upon a time i gave away cigars but with so many people giving up smoking i keep the cigars to myself and this one lady i know

i may look into low-cal doughnuts for those of you on a reduced fat diet
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote