Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #16
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Not me.
My husband loves reading on the iPad and doesn't understand why I prefer the Kobo. I love playing games, looking at photos and all the fun things you can do on the iPad but it's too big, too heavy, and it makes my eyes hurt when I try to read for more than 20 minutes.
I suppose we are all different.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:44 AM   #17
mjhudston
All round good egg
mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjhudston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Apple Ipad 3rd Generation
I think my Sony 505 will be going on eBay, now I have the iPad ( along with my next to useless net book)
mjhudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
Pregasviel
Pregasviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
I ordered a Sony PRS 950 a few days ago, after reading all the previous posts, we could think that having a e ink reader and an Ipad is a loss of money, but I would think that these 2 sorts of devices are complementary. I had a Kindle 3 during 2 weeks and it is just great to read on a E-ink pearl screen, soft for the eyes, we can read during several hours without an headache.

On the contrary i must admit that I feel very interested by an Ipad, each time a see one, i want to try it and i'm just impressed by the fluidity, and it is a really beautiful device which makes a lot of things and does them well ( it depends on what type of application). I think that i'm going to buy one, maybe i will wait for the Ipad 2, just for seeing what improvements apple will do on its tablet. But there is something that drives me litteraly crazy. It's about european prices, just a shame, even if we used to be fooled with electronics devices.

Let me explain you if you do not know that, in US you pay 499$ for the most basic Ipad, we paid 499€ here in France, and in the whole European Union i suppose. The variation of those two currencies is not taken in account by apple ( the same issue appears with consoles). So, if we convert, 499$ is equal to 376€, we must pay an extra amount of money of 123€ (163 USD) ...It's quite something ! I looked for ordering an Ipad in USA, but Apple pays attention to foreign credit cards, and i have no relationships in that country. Maybe i will try to come to the USA next year for my studies!
Pregasviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #19
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pregasviel View Post
Let me explain you if you do not know that, in US you pay 499$ for the most basic Ipad, we paid 499€ here in France, and in the whole European Union i suppose. The variation of those two currencies is not taken in account by apple ( the same issue appears with consoles). So, if we convert, 499$ is equal to 376€, we must pay an extra amount of money of 123€ (163 USD) ...It's quite something ! I looked for ordering an Ipad in USA, but Apple pays attention to foreign credit cards, and i have no relationships in that country. Maybe i will try to come to the USA next year for my studies!
Some of the increased costs have to do with the cost of doing business in Europe vs. America. Here in the Czech Republic an iPad might cost 600€, but that would include the 20% VAT. Your American price doesn't include any sales tax-- which probably averages about 8-9%-- and though most people think Americans aren't required to pay sales tax for items purchased over the internet... they are, in fact, supposed to do it, though no one does.

Also, when you factor in health care and other labor costs--plus the price of energy here vs. America--it costs more money to operate a store in Europe vs. America. These costs are necessarily passed on to the consumer.

I'm not sucking up to Apple... :-) ...but I doubt they make any more profit off iPads sold here than in America. This is just a guess, though.

back to the OP: the iPad and iPod Touch (4g) are my only reading devices, though I'll buy a Sony 650 in the spring, because (though I love it) the 'Pad is a crap reading device outdoors, IMO. And yes: I'm waiting 'til my next visit to the States to purchase the 650. ;-)
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #20
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Exclusive iPad for over 6 months now.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #21
brycej
brycej began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I hadn't intended to stop using my Sony PRS-505...but I have. It is still better for reading outside, but I don't do that a lot. The iPad is a much better device than I thought it was going to be.
brycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I read on my iPad now. I switched from kindle 2, and i don't miss it. No eye strain or other problems here.
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #23
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Me me me.

My Sony is stuck on the bookshelf, sulking. The only time it gets used now is on the beach.
Same here, my ipad has replaced the desktop 95%.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #24
sapphiresilver
Connoisseur
sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!sapphiresilver , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Amazon Oasis 2, Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro
I switched to an iPad from my iriver Story. The backlight actually makes it easier on my eyes than e-ink is. I can still read the iPad outside, as long as I'm sitting in some shade.
sapphiresilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I use my 505 for reading, the iPad for surfing.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #26
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
iPad for me, iPhone when it's charging and e-ink only when I need to e.g. outdoors etc...
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #27
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
iPad 95% of the time. iPhone some times when I don't have my iPad with me. I went back to my iPhone a bit when I got the 4, love the retina screen. But I like the large iPad screen better. I also like to surf a bit or check email when I'm reading, and the iPad is much better.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #28
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I sold my K2 to help pay for my iPad and never looked back! I enjoy reading on the iPad, surfing the net, playing We Rule and Angry Birds. Obviously the iPad is exactly what i wanted, a small computer, e-reader, appt book, and more. I bought a K3 for my husband which he likes very much and the Pearl e-ink is a big improvement over the K2, but no regrets for me on moving on to the iPad.
BTW, if you are an Audible member, they are having a big sale on selected books through Nov 30th. A selection of 100 books for $4.95 each! Can be downloaded to any device that that accepts audio format.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #29
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
Sold my 505 and Kindle 2 just before getting the iPad (wish I still had the 505).

I love the iPad but it's not the perfect eReader. The thing is huge, the aluminum and glass construction makes it fragile and hard to hold, and, with all it can do, I find myself getting distracted - surfing when I should be reading my book.

I like being able to hold the reader in one hand so I've tried a few cases such as the Belkin Grip Vue and one from MacAlly. Both were decent but don't really protect the expensive iPad as well as I'd like. Since my kids and wife like to use the iPad, I've wrapped it in an Otterbox Defender case - we're talking industrial strength here. So now it's even more bulky.

I do like the light weight and plastic construction of the K3 - you can hold it in one hand and put it down anywhere. I think an iPad-like device constructed out of materials that make it more hardy would be the ticket.

So I've compromised - K3 in the daytime and iPad in the evening.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 PM   #30
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLDS View Post

I like being able to hold the reader in one hand so I've tried a few cases such as the Belkin Grip Vue and one from MacAlly. Both were decent but don't really protect the expensive iPad as well as I'd like. Since my kids and wife like to use the iPad, I've wrapped it in an Otterbox Defender case - we're talking industrial strength here. So now it's even more bulky.

I do like the light weight and plastic construction of the K3 - you can hold it in one hand and put it down anywhere. I think an iPad-like device constructed out of materials that make it more hardy would be the ticket.
I wouldn't buy a bulkier or weightier iPad. I use mine with only a shell backing, no flap, cover, etc., because I want a streamlined tablet. I think it better that they build them streamlined and let people cover them as they please.

You have kids using yours, so you want extra padding. I'm comfortable using mine with minimal protection and just a sleeve when on the go. I loaned out my spare iPad indefinitely with the same setup and am not worried about it being damaged, because it's being used by an adult. But tablets will get cheaper, and I expect they'll come out with more robust models for kids.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 11-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote