Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #16
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Koreader is very good at removing all formatting, including absurdly wide margins
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Koreader is very good at removing all formatting, including absurdly wide margins
Yeah, but I don't want to remove all formatting. I edit my books and have removed most everything I don't like anyway. And yeah, I know I could just let KOReader do it, but then I'd always be dependent on KOReader. As things stand now, I can read my books on any device I want and have them look mostly the same. I'm not dependent on the ability of any one app or reader to handle my formatting for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, but I don't want to remove all formatting. I edit my books and have removed most everything I don't like anyway. And yeah, I know I could just let KOReader do it, but then I'd always be dependent on KOReader. As things stand now, I can read my books on any device I want and have them look mostly the same. I'm not dependent on the ability of any one app or reader to handle my formatting for me.
Well said. I feel the same.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #19
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I read for pleasure, so it doesn't matter how fast or slow I do it. The less text on the screen, the more often you'll have to turn pages and this constant need to turn pages would drive me nuts.
I have found one use for absurd margins. As my eyes age, I like to read with my glasses off in bed at night. But my myopia is so severe (-11 dioptres corrective lenses needed) that the Kindle has to be about 5cm from my face when I do that. That's fine, on the absolute minimum font size it's actually fairly usable -- but because it's flat and my eyes aren't, the edges are far enough away that the text is unreadably blurred again! For the top and bottom this is fine, I can just tilt it a bit as I read, but that doesn't work for the left and right edges -- you can't tilt it for *every line*. So I blow up the margins to make the text retreat from those blurred edges, and reading becomes easy again. Because the font is tiny I still get really quite a lot on a page, even that way.

When reading with my glasses on, the Kindle stays a sane distance from my face and I go back to the smallest possible margins, and font size 3.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:47 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I have found one use for absurd margins. As my eyes age, I like to read with my glasses off in bed at night. But my myopia is so severe (-11 dioptres corrective lenses needed) that the Kindle has to be about 5cm from my face when I do that. That's fine, on the absolute minimum font size it's actually fairly usable -- but because it's flat and my eyes aren't, the edges are far enough away that the text is unreadably blurred again! For the top and bottom this is fine, I can just tilt it a bit as I read, but that doesn't work for the left and right edges -- you can't tilt it for *every line*. So I blow up the margins to make the text retreat from those blurred edges, and reading becomes easy again. Because the font is tiny I still get really quite a lot on a page, even that way.

When reading with my glasses on, the Kindle stays a sane distance from my face and I go back to the smallest possible margins, and font size 3.
I understand perfectly, as my eyesight is exactly the same as yours, -11. That's why I almost never read lying down, and in the rare cases I do, I use my phone.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2022, 02:59 PM   #21
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I understand perfectly, as my eyesight is exactly the same as yours, -11. That's why I almost never read lying down, and in the rare cases I do, I use my phone.
Oh I can't *not read in bed*. That would be like surviving without breathing oxygen or something: an impossibility.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:19 PM   #22
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Quote:
The workaround is to put the negative margins in the css. Works for azw3, not sure if it works for kfx.
Hi Sirtel, can you point me on how to do that?

Tks.
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
Hi Sirtel, can you point me on how to do that?

Tks.
At the very top of the CSS, put the following code. The line break-inside is there because of some bug in some firmware.
Code:
html {
  margin-right: -45px;
  margin-left: -45px;
  break-inside: avoid !important;
}
And if you use ChareInk with KF8 (AZW3), you will reduce the space between lines for even more text on screen. Download the unweighted version with hinting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

And if you use the Hyphenate This! plugin, you can add soft hyphens to give KF8 hyphenation. The only thing you miss is kerning and ligatures. I suggest you read the thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=208534

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-02-2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:10 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
At the very top of the CSS, put the following code. The line break-inside is there because of some bug in some firmware.
Code:
htm
}
Since I like reading epub and keeping one copy of the ebook around, I wrap the margin setting in a media query. This works quite well since most renderers that don't understand media queries will disregard this entry entirely. Without the wrapper, I have had to play with the margins when using a renderer that disregards media queries or in Jon's code's case, doesn't get presented with the opportunity to disregards the margin settings.

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
  html {
    margin-left: -50px;
    margin-right: -50px;
  }
}
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 07:01 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Does Amazon object to that if it's in an epub uploaded on KDP or is it only any use for Dual Mobi on Smashwords and sideloading epub converted to azw3 or dual mobi?

I suppose some people might be curious about it in an epub used for Send to Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 01:48 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Since I like reading epub and keeping one copy of the ebook around, I wrap the margin setting in a media query. This works quite well since most renderers that don't understand media queries will disregard this entry entirely. Without the wrapper, I have had to play with the margins when using a renderer that disregards media queries or in Jon's code's case, doesn't get presented with the opportunity to disregards the margin settings.

Code:
@media amzn-kf8 {
  html {
    margin-left: -50px;
    margin-right: -50px;
  }
}
I wonder if your media query will work for ePub emailed to Amazon.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #27
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Code:
htm
}
And if you use ChareInk with KF8 (AZW3), you will reduce the space between lines for even more text on screen. Download the unweighted version with hinting.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

And if you use the Hyphenate This! plugin, you can add soft hyphens to give KF8 hyphenation. The only thing you miss is kerning and ligatures. I suggest you read the thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=208534
Tks John.

Edit: I have to do that at Calibre editor or I can do at the moment I convert de epub to azw3?

Last edited by Flaviocc; 08-01-2022 at 01:33 PM. Reason: edit
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaviocc View Post
Tks John.

Edit: I have to do that at Calibre editor or I can do at the moment I convert de epub to azw3?
In the Convert requestor, under Look & feel, go to the Styling tab and you can put it in under extra CSS.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:28 PM   #29
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw a 6.8" Kindle for the first time. They actually didn't have this one in display mode and I was able to give it a very short (less than a minute) trial. For a nearly 6.8" reader it's small and sleek and pretty light. Screen looked good. (I didn't think to try the warm light option.) Page turns were very fast. These were the good points. But the margins were almost a 1/4" on each side and that was at the smallest margin setting. Why do they do that? I don't know if there's a workaround (and I'm not in the market for a Kindle) but those wide margins kind of spoiled it for me.
You can change the margins you know LOL
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
You can change the margins you know LOL
They were already at the smallest setting.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote