Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It depends on the book. How much I think the book is worth and how much I want to read it. For example a few weeks ago I paid £9 for a book to read on my sony, knowing that if I waited a few weeks I could buy it for £5 and read it on my kindle, but I was really anxious to read it then so paid the extra. The most expensive ebook i've bought was £10. I had wanted the book for a while but had difficulty locating a copy as it was out of print for many years. When I saw that it was available on the kindle I jumped on it. I would have paid more for it if I had to. But some books I would only be willing to pay a few pounds for.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
When I was buying physical copies of books I would always wait for the paperback. Now when buying ebooks I refuse to pay more than the price of the paperback, and that is for established authors. For an author I have never read or heard of on Smashwords or Amazon, I will pay $2-$3 if it has been well reviewed.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #18
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
About $10 for a commercial purchase from Kobo of a mainstream author. I have some on my wishlist that are $12 or $14 and I absolutely will not pay that. I'll wait until it comes down in price. Half the time, it will turn up at the library before it comes down in price, so they will lose the sale.

Self-pubbed staff on Smashwords, my comfort level is $2.99 or less but I will go up to about $4. I have seen prices at Smashwords creeping up and I think it is absurd. When I can buy a new, paper mass market from a popular author for $6, there is no way I will give about that much to a self-pubbed book by an unknown author.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #19
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Non-DRM'd ebook: Up to price of paperback, depending on author & other factors (whether it's part of a series, etc.) This sometimes means "up to price of paperback I can obtain used."

I will pay up to $3 for an ebook without qualms and on a whim, up to $6 with some thought, and up to $10 in theory, but so far not in practice.

DRM'd ebook: $0 is too much. I have no DRM-compatible ebook reading software at the moment, and no intention of acquiring any.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
For finance books such as stock/option trading: $150
For programming books such as Java: $50
For hobby books: $25
For novels: $15
For children books: $15
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Here is an idea for self-publishers.

Offer the book for $1 a download, and if reader likes it (= finishes it), then at the end a short statement about paying an additional few bucks. I would gladly pay an extra $4 ex post if I finish the book. If a reader don't like the book she is $1 short, but could be offered the opportunity to move her copy to the book stores section for free downloads and perhaps receive a $0.10 credit towards a future download.

That would give the author some feedback on how many people actually finish the book, how many who prefer to return it, and some other reader gets to download a pre-paid book.

Maybe I'm gullible, but I think a lot of people would be happy to honor a system like that.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #22
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
I would pay up to $25 if it was a book I really wanted to read.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #23
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Depends on the author and how much I want to read the book; I've paid ~£20 (UKP - about the same as the hardback) for a DRM'd eBook from an author I really like who writes one book a year. But I hated the publishers for 'gouging' like that and I went out of my way to avoid titles they published where possible for ages - so call me petty <shrug>

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've paid up to $9.99 for books, but very rarely. I refused to pay $12.99 for the latest Dresden Files novel especially when the paperback was $9.99. I ended up reading it, laboriously, in hardback. I'll freely buy under about $5, over that I'm hesitant, and above $7 or $8 it better be something special.

I guess I'm kinda cheap.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #25
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
There are some books I'd like that come only in DRM non-Kindle format. I intend to make a test purchase, see if I can strip off the DRM and then use calibre to change the format so I can put it on my Kindle. If this works, I'll do it a lot more.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
ceebee_uk
ceebee_uk began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
I'm finding the kindle store to bring out the worst in me as far as my impulsiveness goes.
Dont worry thats why they have the business model they have - if you have disposable income and you choose to buy books on impulse I feel thats probably one of the best impulse buys you can make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt314159 View Post
Even if there's a paper book for way cheaper on amazon, I usually go with the kindle version because of the instant gratification, and the ability to save space on my bookshelf.
Less because of the gratification but certainly to save space is why I have an ereader.
ceebee_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #27
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
There are some books I'd like that come only in DRM non-Kindle format. I intend to make a test purchase, see if I can strip off the DRM and then use calibre to change the format so I can put it on my Kindle. If this works, I'll do it a lot more.
I'm in that boat too as Jean Plaidy only comes in Sony format, but I have no idea how to do it. Any chance you could let me know if you can find a way that works?

I don't understand this whole secure format thing, surely publishers would sell more ebooks if they sold all ebooks in all formats, it just doesn't make sense

Why should I have to buy two different makes of ereader to read all the books I want.

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-05-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #28
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
I'm happy paying Kindle prices ($11.99 - $15 usually). I'm happy to pay a bit more if I'm keen enough (I'd probably pay up to $20 or $25 if I knew I was getting a great book).

I'd be willing to pay more to get a book without DRM. I'd be willing to pay more if I felt the price was reasonable compared to the paper book (i.e. if the ebook is priced lower).

I think $10-$15 is about right for the average ebook. That puts them in the range of impulse buy, and I'm not going to be too concerned if I buy a book I don't like at that price.

RE: DRM
All DRM can be removed. Google the format the books are in + "remove DRM". I've recently read books on my Kindle that had non-Kindle DRM on them. It's not difficult.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #29
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kaufman View Post
As a Kindle owner as well as an author, I'm wondering how much you all are willing to pay for an e-book. Do you have an absolute cutoff point, or does it just depend on the author? Are you likely to buy an e-book that's priced more than a paper one?

Drew
Given as a consumer and when I buy an ebook I am giving up the right to resale property I would otherwise own I won't pay more than $4 for any ebook. I will spend whatever it costs for my professional reference books once I get a color large format reader but that is not pure entertainment as in the case of novels.

I can even resell my old and unused software but more my ebooks. This is a factor, and a not insigificant factor many publishers and authors overlook, conveniently in many cases I am sure, but ebooks basically, as the way things go today, but ebooks destroy the used book market for paperback...it won't be soon but if I was a small used book store I would consider rolling up the sidewalk in front of the store inside the next 3-years or change the focus on the store...

Anyway, $4 is my top dollar for novels...this is reinforced but the fact I bought all my paperbacks used for anywhere from 50¢ to a couple bucks for used titles.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #30
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Like Jabby, I have no set limit but it bugs me to pay more than $10 for a novel. (Obviously I will pay a great deal more for technical books but I'm getting the impression you're most interested in the pricing of novels here.) It's not about saving money, though. I'm not really inclined to economize on my reading these days. I'm not a broke student any more. I can afford a few little luxuries in life. Before Amazon started the $9.99 model, I would have been happy to pay $12-$15 for a new release. However, I resent the fact that some publishers have decided to join together in price fixing. It subverts competition and hurts their customers. I won't completely punish an author I like by not buying the book at all, but I may also wait for a price drop to buy to send a message to their publisher.

Since I really dislike reading novels in paper form now, if it's not in ebook form I won't buy it. If it's a series and I can't get all the volumes in ebook form, I won't be inclined to read any of the books. I don't care if the ebook is $10 and I can get a free copy of the paper book. I'll spend the $10.

Some authors certainly carry more weight for me but no one guarantees a purchase. I am a firm believer in free samples. If I get through that sample and really want to read the rest of the book, I'll buy it even if it's priced at the top of the market. If I think it's mediocre, I'm not going to buy it even if it's only a couple bucks. Life's short.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote