Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #16
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Well, that didn't work. I removed the batteries for an hour as Kralik suggested. I then started the device and let it sit for an hour, and it never left the boot-up screen.

I then went to Newegg's website to see if I could exchange it. (I got it for Christmas, bought it about ten days before Christmas.) They said, no dice, the 30 day warranty has expired. 30 days????

So now it will be back to Ectaco.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
If you haven't gotten a reply back from Ectaco, you might want to try Pavel's email directly: Pavel@ectaco.com

He should be able to handle your warranty issue.

Also, as for the 30 day warranty, that's the Newegg part of the warranty, the unit has a 1 year warranty through the company. Newegg does that for most if not all of their hardware.
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
What about trying the ectaco forum as well

http://www.ectaco.co.uk/ectaco-forums/show/185.page
poshm, I've just posted there. We'll see if they have any ideas.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001 View Post
If you haven't gotten a reply back from Ectaco, you might want to try Pavel's email directly: Pavel@ectaco.com

He should be able to handle your warranty issue.
Thanks, heffe. I've emailed Pavel, so we'll see what he says.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #20
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Ack, how irritating! Out of all people to get a lemon, GA Russell... you deserve it the least. You spent months making this decision.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Thanks Kralik!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Update:

I have heard from both Pavel and Paul of Ectaco today, and they both suggest that I load the latest firmware.

Unfortunately, a USB port for my computer is next on my list of things to buy, so I am unable to do that.

It looks like I will have to exchange the device. Normally I would want my money back for a product that goes kaput after four weeks. But since everyone here has had a good experience with the jetBook and the jetBook Lite except me, I am willing to give it another try.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Update:

I have heard from both Pavel and Paul of Ectaco today, and they both suggest that I load the latest firmware.

Unfortunately, a USB port for my computer is next on my list of things to buy, so I am unable to do that.

It looks like I will have to exchange the device. Normally I would want my money back for a product that goes kaput after four weeks. But since everyone here has had a good experience with the jetBook and the jetBook Lite except me, I am willing to give it another try.
If you have an SD card reader on your computer, you can load the update onto an SD card and do the update from there...
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Doesn't the SD card reader take a USB port to hook up to the computer?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #25
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
USB Port

Yes the reader takes a usb port to hook up to the computer unless you have a reader built in.

How old is your computer that you do not have a USB port ?
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
How old is your computer that you do not have a USB port ?
That's what I was thinking!

Reset the jetBook. Then try holding the right-arrow as you push the power button. After the power light comes on, let go of the power button, but keep holding the right arrow for a minute or so. If you get nothing, set the jetBook down and check back in 20-30 minutes (leave it on).

If you get a "Firmware error!" screen of sorts, it means that your jetBook *could* perform the firmware update! In which case, I would suggest finding a friend who has a nice internet connection and a USB port so you can try ECTACO's suggestion. Much faster than an exchange IMO.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #27
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

gr8, my computer is a white box from 2002.

Kralik, I'll try that suggestion now. It can't hurt! LOL

Update:

Pavel sent me late today an address to send the device to have it fixed.

Then a half hour later Jerry from Ectaco left a message on my voicemail leaving a phone number for me to call when they open tomorrow morning.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #28
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

By the way, I've noticed how light the device is, quite feather-like, without the batteries in it!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 AM   #29
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Reset the jetBook. Then try holding the right-arrow as you push the power button. After the power light comes on, let go of the power button, but keep holding the right arrow for a minute or so. If you get nothing, set the jetBook down and check back in 20-30 minutes (leave it on).

If you get a "Firmware error!" screen of sorts, it means that your jetBook *could* perform the firmware update! In which case, I would suggest finding a friend who has a nice internet connection and a USB port so you can try ECTACO's suggestion. Much faster than an exchange IMO.
OK, Kralik. I've just finished your experiment. I did what you said and left it on for an hour and 35 minutes. Still nothing but the boot-up screen.

I'll call Ectaco first thing in the morning.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 AM   #30
Kralik
Guru

Then... I would guess that it is really and truly... borked.