Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-04-2021, 04:52 AM   #16
ngocle92dn
ngocle92dn began at the beginning.

Device: boox poke 3
Talking how to use your app ?

Hello. I saw your file is Lights-Alpha2.zip. And I understood that I need to rename that file to Light-alpha2.apk, setup and use it like normal app. If I understand right ? I dont know anything about ADB. Please help me. Thank you so much!
ngocle92dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:52 AM   #17
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Well, I'm willing to try. I installed Android Studio to my computer but I don't know what to do next...
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2021, 07:27 AM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
@ngocle92dn Yes, it's just a regular app (and a small one at that at 30 kB!).
Normally I install apps over ADB.
Code:
C:\>adb install Lights-Alpha2.apk
ADB is part of the big Android Studio, but you don't need a GB of stuff.
Just Google "minimal ADB" and you can find a download of the 2.5 MB file adb.exe

You could just transfer apps over just like you transfer books, then use a file explorer on your device to click it.
Then, as the app is installed somewhere else you can (should) delete what you copied over.
Still, once you get ADB working you'll appreciate the one step install.

@kndlewis You'll find that adb.exe is installed in Android Studio somewhere like Android\SDK\platform-tools\adb.exe
You can set the environment PATH to include that or use DOSKEY to set up a macro or CD to the directory or simply type out the whole C:\Programs....
Code:
C:\>adb devices
List of devices attached
12345678        device
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #19
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Yes, I have adb set in my environment path and can see the serial number of the connected device (Poke).
When I copied the commands shown at the beginning of the thread, I get $ not recognized as a command.

OK, I installed minimal ADB and I can easily get the terminal and see the serial number of the attached device.
I guess I need to know what to do next.

Last edited by kndlewis; 07-04-2021 at 08:04 AM.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #20
ngocle92dn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
@ngocle92dn Yes, it's just a regular app (and a small one at that at 30 kB!).
Normally I install apps over ADB.
Code:
C:\>adb install Lights-Alpha2.apk
ADB is part of the big Android Studio, but you don't need a GB of stuff.
Just Google "minimal ADB" and you can find a download of the 2.5 MB file adb.exe

You could just transfer apps over just like you transfer books, then use a file explorer on your device to click it.
Then, as the app is installed somewhere else you can (should) delete what you copied over.
Still, once you get ADB working you'll appreciate the one step install.
[/code]
May I have a question ? Where can I install minimal ADB ? On Pc or Poke ? Thank you
Advert
Old 07-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #21
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@kndlewis No, $ is the Android equivalent of C:\>
I put it there just to show context, you don't type it.
(Instead of $, rooted devices show #)

@ngocle92dn adb.exe is a Windows programs (like all .exe).
Old 07-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #22
ngocle92dn

I have just installed the app. The app very good. Thank you so much. But I have a question. How can I quick setting the cool/warm light when reading book ? Now I setting manual by out the book and click in the app.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:17 AM   #23
ngocle92dn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
@ngocle92dn adb.exe is a Windows programs (like all .exe).
So I need connect Poke 3 to my computer when I run ADB to install app ?
Old 07-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #24
Renate
Wizard

@ngocle92dn Yup, you need to connect the USB.
You also need to enable "USB debugging" in the settings.
The "adb devices" is the next thing to do to make sure that you're connected.

Once you get used to ADB you'll find everything much easier.
I use AdbSync (another program, not to be confused with "adb sync") to quickly get all my devices to have the same books and content and at the same time to download all the photos from things with cameras.
But that's another subject for later.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #25
ngocle92dn

@Renate thank you. I have just installed the app. The app very good. Thank you so much. But I have a question. How can I quick setting the cool/warm light when reading book ? Now I setting manual by out the book and click in the app
Old 07-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #26
Renate
Wizard

@ngocle92dn you can swipe up on the lower right to get the "Recent Applications", select lights, adjust the lights, swipe up on lower right to get back to your book.

Ok, I know that's not the easiest.
A separate app to control lights is not the most convenient.

Does your reader application have a control for brightness?
One of the plans for my application was for it to monitor for attempts to change "normal" brightness and have it modify the correct variable color frontlight.

My own personal reader has all the guts of the Lights application built in so that I can change the backlight directly from my reading.

The other thing would be modify the Onyx framework to replace the sliders in the pull-down with brightness/color ones.
But you need root for that.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #27
ngocle92dn

Thank you so much.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #28
Renate
Wizard

I know that you're all saying to yourself:
Quote:
You've got a fabulous app there, Renate, but I've broken the screen on my device and I've lost most of the pieces. How am I supposed to have any fun?
Fear not!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	188035  
Old 07-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #29
Renate
Wizard

So, just out of curiousity:
If you have a rooted device (not necessarily a Poke or even an Onyx) and want to do a little experiment:
Take the lights.zip and rename it lights (don't unzip, it's not a zip).
Code:
C:\>adb push lights /data/local/tmp
C:\>adb shell
# cd /data/local/tmp
# chmod 755 lights
# ./lights
I'd really be interested to see what the original Poke does with this.
Thanks!

Last edited by Renate; 12-06-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:23 PM   #30
Renate
Wizard

I had forgotten all about this.
I have a new fine-tuned version that should? work on a bunch of Onyx or B&N Glows and maybe some others.

As always, the file is called .zip to allow uploading, but don't unzip it.
Just rename it Lights-1.0.apk and install it as usual.

Last edited by Renate; 12-06-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Tags
poke 3, screen brightness