Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

btw, the non-starter about the Xoom for me is the 16:10 screen ratio. It really is a skinny screen and feels wrong to me in portrait orientation. My tablet device must be closer to 4:3, even 9:5 is better if it's wide enough in portrait orientation. but then it would need to be about a 17" device and, well, that would be just too big. I would be fine with a 4:3-ish 10"-12" device. The one thing I feel Apple did right is the screen size and proper ratio. A 12" version would be better for me but still at 4:3 it's a lot easier for me.

Last edited by snipenekkid; 02-28-2011 at 10:32 PM.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
sure, but it's all about marketing.
Ummmmm.. yes, but it's one picture. Are you really basing your judgement on one picture before any real advertising/marketing has even begun? Seems like you've already decided which you'll prefer before even actually seeing more than a single photo, not to mention the device itself.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
it's the only picture so far! Everywhere I look at the Xoom it's always in landscape mode! Let people know they can grab the tablet like a book, rather than just use it like a keyboardless notebook.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

it might, and I mean just might, be OK if the reader apps handle a 2-up page layout in landscape. Not sure though and would need to see it in person.

Just let's not forget it's VERY early in the game this year so let's see what comes from Asus, HP and the rest of the gang, even Onyx and Pocketbook.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
And the Xoom is more expensive than the article suggested it would be.

Should of had a column for apps

Xoom 16
IPad 60,000

Lee
and how many iPad optimized apps did the iPad have on it's launch? With basically every single major consumer electronics company coming out with an Android Honeycomb Tablet from Moto, Sony, Samsung, LG and even Vizio. I wouldnt' worry about tablet optimized apps coming in.
Just like early adopters of the iPad using a majority of iPhone apps to hold them over the same will go for the Android tablets.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #21
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting article on loading times between the two. In the websites own words " the xoom put the iPad to shame"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/m...blet-arrives/6
Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How does the battery life compare? That's where most Android devices fall short of the iPad.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #23
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How does the battery life compare? That's where most Android devices fall short of the iPad.
I think they are also quoting 10 hours video.
I imagine they set a target of meeting or exceeding the iPad in as many categories as possible.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #24
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

most have been reporting 8 to 8.5 hours. some more some less.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #25
darrakk
darrakk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
btw, the non-starter about the Xoom for me is the 16:10 screen ratio. It really is a skinny screen and feels wrong to me in portrait orientation. My tablet device must be closer to 4:3, even 9:5 is better if it's wide enough in portrait orientation. but then it would need to be about a 17" device and, well, that would be just too big. I would be fine with a 4:3-ish 10"-12" device. The one thing I feel Apple did right is the screen size and proper ratio. A 12" version would be better for me but still at 4:3 it's a lot easier for me.
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean personal preference you are certainly entitled to... Movies and TV are mostly 16:9 or 16:10. Looking at it from the standpoint of a reader, your standard paperback novel has an aspect ratio of about 10:16 (portrait). The last product I have owned that had a 4:3 aspect ratio was almost 7 or more years ago when I owned my last analogue TV set.

I understand that you prefer a 4:3 device and again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However virtually every type of media these days is based on a 16:10 or 16:9 display.
darrakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
and how many iPad optimized apps did the iPad have on it's launch?
3,300 on launch day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
With basically every single major consumer electronics company coming out with an Android Honeycomb Tablet from Moto, Sony, Samsung, LG and even Vizio. I wouldnt' worry about tablet optimized apps coming in.
Just like early adopters of the iPad using a majority of iPhone apps to hold them over the same will go for the Android tablets.
I don't disagree. But if one wants to put up a check list of how great a not released tablet is going to be compared to one that's been shipping a year -- might as well be complete.

Even with 3,300 apps at launch, it certainly felt like there weren't that many apps. iPhone apps did run, but they aren't nearly as nice as apps built for the iPad.

The experience for early adopters of Android tablets is going to be far worse. Flash -- not even ready yet, and it's one of the big reasons for getting an android tablet. Sure it has a memory card slot -- but it's not working yet. 4G? Not there yet. And you'll have to turn your table back in for a couple weeks when it does become available.

And, like you said, we all know that a lot more Android 3.0 tablets are coming out soon too. So....one might as well wait a bit for the Android tablet market to become more "baked" before jumping in.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #27
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
3,300 on launch day.

I don't disagree. But if one wants to put up a check list of how great a not released tablet is going to be compared to one that's been shipping a year -- might as well be complete.

Even with 3,300 apps at launch, it certainly felt like there weren't that many apps. iPhone apps did run, but they aren't nearly as nice as apps built for the iPad.

The experience for early adopters of Android tablets is going to be far worse. Flash -- not even ready yet, and it's one of the big reasons for getting an android tablet. Sure it has a memory card slot -- but it's not working yet. 4G? Not there yet. And you'll have to turn your table back in for a couple weeks when it does become available.

And, like you said, we all know that a lot more Android 3.0 tablets are coming out soon too. So....one might as well wait a bit for the Android tablet market to become more "baked" before jumping in.

Lee
I don't think "baked" is the proper adjective, it sort implys software shortcomings that really aren't truely fixable, when Flash comes out, which is expected with the next couple of weeks all of sudden it is no longer an issue adn will soon be forgotten. As far as the micro sd card slot not activated, I do find that a bit weird, but having said I think 32G will hold anyone over.

And the irony is that Apple fans seem to reveling in these facts but the thing is these are feature's you guys will NEVER have. In less than a month oh what will you guys have to complain about
Old 03-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Verizon was demonstrating it at Costco this morning. Heavy little item. Three prices depending on plan or no plan. Highest price - no plan. "low" for expensive data plan and middle for cheaper data plan. The 4g plan was not available and the device needs to be sent it for conversion. Sorry, I need another PLAN like a hole in the head.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
darrakk
darrakk began at the beginning.

Device: None
What were their plan prices like? I think you can get a basic data plan from Verizon for 20 bucks a month?
darrakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #30
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrakk View Post
This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I mean personal preference you are certainly entitled to... Movies and TV are mostly 16:9 or 16:10. Looking at it from the standpoint of a reader, your standard paperback novel has an aspect ratio of about 10:16 (portrait). The last product I have owned that had a 4:3 aspect ratio was almost 7 or more years ago when I owned my last analogue TV set.

I understand that you prefer a 4:3 device and again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. However virtually every type of media these days is based on a 16:10 or 16:9 display.
How many of these displays are viewed in portrait? And of course they are also mostly larger than 10", too. I'm looking at my 26" monitor as I type this - and I wouldn't get a 4:3 monitor in this size - but my browser window is approximately 4:3, leaving open a side slice of the desktop with various widgets on it. This isn't practical for a 10" screen (and of course the Xoom's 10.1" screen is smaller (has less area) than the iPad's 9.7" screen. And, as I mentioned, portrait does not work well on widescreen monitors.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote