Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Question WiFi shopping?

Hi,

one of the key features they mention, is shopping via WiFi. Globally, in whatever shop you want.
Some questions (it's not described in the manual I've seen online):
- For quite a few shops we need VPN on our PC. Is this included in BeBook Neo? Would be brillant of course.
- Are the shops pre-defined? Are BooksOnBord, WHSMith and the "usual suspects" available?
Please give us some description of the process, sounds great.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The shops are pre-defined if you go through the "country" interface - eg for the UK we get W.H. Smiths, Waterstones, Blackwells, and Foyles. However, you can use Google to get to any site you wish.

I don't think you'll be using the Neo for a great deal of web browsing, though; it's extremely slow.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-19-2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added the name of the shop which I'd forgotten.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The shops are pre-defined if you go through the "country" interface - eg for the UK we get W.H. Smiths, Waterstones, Blackwells, and one other which escapes me. However, you can use Google to get to any site you wish.

I don't think you'll be using the Neo for a great deal of web browsing, though; it's extremely slow.
Thanks. Just to make sure: Let's say, I'm in Germany, but would like to purchase in the US. Via VPN, on the PC that's no problem. But how is it on BeBook Neo? Will 90% of the shops tell me "sorry, wrong IP"?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Will 90% of the shops tell me "sorry, wrong IP"?
I would imagine so, yes.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #20
tsantsa
tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tsantsa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none yet
so where does one get a cover for the neo? I am up in the air between this and it's cousin the Onyx Boox 60. Supposedly, it comes with a cover but doesn't ship until april...
tsantsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I would imagine so, yes.
Sorry to bother you again.
Don't they say "The best part is that YOU decide where YOU want to purchase eBooks" in their description?
Is this "clever marketing" (you can decide where to shop. But the shop decides whether to accept you...)?
If it's the same old regional limitation, it's still a step forward. At least I could use half a dozen German shops directly on the reader. But if I look at my usual purchases, it's about 90% in the US. And about half of those shops need VPN.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-19-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #22
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post

I received my Neo!!!!

Very impressed so far, especially with the speed & PDF capabilities.
Would you please elaborate on that? Any experience with academic papers?!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #23
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Would you please elaborate on that? Any experience with academic papers?!
Well, I'm quite impressed with the zoom function (especially the "box-zoom" where you can draw a rectangle and zoom to that area), reflow seems to work really good as well, and being able to use the stylus to drag around a page certainly is a great plus, especially compared to the BeBook one and BeBook Mini.

If you post a link to a certain paper you would like to see on the BeBook Neo, I'd be happy to post some screenshots!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Well, I'm quite impressed with the zoom function (especially the "box-zoom" where you can draw a rectangle and zoom to that area), reflow seems to work really good as well, and being able to use the stylus to drag around a page certainly is a great plus, especially compared to the BeBook one and BeBook Mini.

If you post a link to a certain paper you would like to see on the BeBook Neo, I'd be happy to post some screenshots!
Can you shop globally on your Neo?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Sorry to bother you again.
Don't they say "The best part is that YOU decide where YOU want to purchase eBooks" in their description?
Is this "clever marketing" (you can decide where to shop. But the shop decides whether to accept you...)?
If it's the same old regional limitation, it's still a step forward. At least I could use half a dozen German shops directly on the reader. But if I look at my usual purchases, it's about 90% in the US. And about half of those shops need VPN.
Let's be honest - nobody is going to buy a Neo primarily as a web browser - eInk screens just aren't ideal for that purpose, and using WiFi drains the battery VERY quickly.

You can go to any web site. Of course regional restrictions apply, but that's not the "fault" of the device. I've never personally felt the need to use a VPN application to "hide" my location, but perhaps my book buying differs from yours in that regard. You'd perhaps be better of continuing to buy books from your PC.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #26
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Let's be honest - nobody is going to buy a Neo primarily as a web browser - eInk screens just aren't ideal for that purpose, and using WiFi drains the battery VERY quickly.

You can go to any web site. Of course regional restrictions apply, but that's not the "fault" of the device. I've never personally felt the need to use a VPN application to "hide" my location, but perhaps my book buying differs from yours in that regard. You'd perhaps be better of continuing to buy books from your PC.
It's not BeBook's fault, that's true.
But still it would have been a great feature.
Probably it's easier for you: You're buying English books per se in UK. If I want to do so, I sometimes have to wait way too long. So I shop in the country of origin. Most shops don't care about my German IP, for some I need VPN. Mainly I use VPN for B&N. B&N I'd like to use because of my nook.
For nook, I shop on my PC via VPN and then download on nook via WiFi. I guess It will be the same on BeBook Neo.
Would be nice, to travel without need for a PC, but it's not a "No Go" of course.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Neo does allow applications to be installed on it, so there's always a chance that someone might be able to develop a VPN application for it in the future.

From what I've experienced of the Neo so far, I'm very impressed by it. The screen clarity is excellent, it has a good library manager with full folder support, and the Wacom touch screen works very well indeed.

My only slight disappointment is that the machine is marketed as having the ability to "annotate" documents. What it actually has is the ability to annotate PDF's only, and an ability merely to "highlight" text in other formats. But that's a relatively minor issue, and can hopefully be addressed in a future firmware update.