Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diso View Post
One quick question please. I have just read in the home page that amazon will be releasing its kindle 2.0 early next month. I have been wondering how the kindle will be useful to people in Africa since it is not sold outside the United States. Even if one purchases it here (yeah, I am presently here in the states) and takes it to his country, he cannot download anything from amazon.com because they use "whispernet" instead of Internet. Is there a way out?
The only problem I foresee is that, depending where you are in Africa, you could be in the Southern Hemisphere, and you would then have to hold the Kindle upside down to read it.

Seriously though, unless amazon comes out with a GSM whispernet, about the only places in the world that the kindle is even remotely likely to be able to work would be the US and some parts of Japan.

I took my Sony with me when I went back to .za a couple of years ago, and it was really useful, but since I buy my books from Baen and Fictionwise, I didn't have to worry about any Sony store restrictions.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote