Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-25-2015, 04:55 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hah, I was just coming to say that the scaredest I've ever been whilst reading is while reading It. Snap!

In short fiction, Kaaron Warren can press my buttons.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
H. P. Lovecraft was the master of scary stories. Cool Air, Herbert West:Re-animator, etc.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's not quite a horror, but Peter Straub's Koko tops my list of scares. It's the only book that's made me think someone was outside my bedroom window - even though I was two stories up and there was no balcony.

I also thought very highly of Straub's Ghost Story. From a horror (rather than scare) point of view, The Long Walk by Stephen King had me disturbed for a couple of weeks.

It's pretty hard to scare me in a book though. In a movie, I'm an easy mark. The right atmospheric music and drawn out scene culminating in a sudden shock will do it every time - even though I know it's coming.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:12 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Erik Axl Sund took Europe by storm with his book Crow girl.
Have a look at his page http://www.erikaxlsund.com/books/crow-girl-1
Not yet published in English, I think, but already translated to 30 languages. In UK the rights were bought by Harvill Secker.

The book was recommended to me by a [quite badly shaken-up] friend who read a translation published here in my country.

I will be back with the news as soon as the book is published in English. I am not sure I will dare to read the book and I have read some pretty disturbing stuff without a problem.
(the only book in recent memory I abandoned because it was way too disturbing (AND ugly AND very badly written (IMHO, of course)) was The Road by Cormac McCarthy)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #20
wwefan
wwefan began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Hell House by Richard Matheson very scary novel give it a try.
wwefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm a big horror fan, but don't scare easily. That being said, M.R. James short story The Mezzotint from his collection Ghost Stories of an Antiquary really creeped me out. Not a novel, I know, but still...
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwefan View Post
Hell House by Richard Matheson very scary novel give it a try.
I didn't find it scary, but it was fun. I think it's supposed to be "based" on the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I read the start of it. That was pretty creepy.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #23
wwefan
wwefan began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I didn't find it scary, but it was fun. I think it's supposed to be "based" on the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson. I read the start of it. That was pretty creepy.
Yeah but still fun to read i mainly like to read action/mystery/scifi novels so i guess i have not gone through more scary novels.
wwefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:04 PM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Erik Axl Sund took Europe by storm with his book Crow girl.
Have a look at his page http://www.erikaxlsund.com/books/crow-girl-1
Not yet published in English, I think, but already translated to 30 languages. In UK the rights were bought by Harvill Secker.

The book was recommended to me by a [quite badly shaken-up] friend who read a translation published here in my country.

I will be back with the news as soon as the book is published in English. I am not sure I will dare to read the book and I have read some pretty disturbing stuff without a problem.
(the only book in recent memory I abandoned because it was way too disturbing (AND ugly AND very badly written (IMHO, of course)) was The Road by Cormac McCarthy)
Preorder page at Amazon at the moment.
I think I saw the Kindle e-book available yesterday but I can't find it now.

Last edited by kacir; 04-18-2016 at 01:16 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #25
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Preorder page at Amazon at the moment.
I think I saw the Kindle e-book available yesterday but I can't find it now.
Thanks for the update. Am interested to give it a go.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
The scariest book I've read is It by Stephen King. It has children dealing with weird noises, creepy basements, creepy alleys, creepy sewers, children being taken away and never seen again, a creepy evil clown, etc.
"It" is even scarier in the movie incarnation I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #27
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
"It" is even scarier in the movie incarnation I think.
I saw the movie and I did not find it scary. The book in the other hand...
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #28
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Stephen King's Pet Sematary - the first time I read it I was alone in the house, reading it in bed with the rest of the house in darkness. Every time a board creaked or the frig cycled on I froze -- waiting for 'something' to appear in the doorway.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The scariest book I ever read is James Dickey's Deliverance; it was made into an even scarier film.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I gave up reading horror books when I was a teenager. They gave me nightmares.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote