Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 AM   #16
SandFish
SandFish began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 2
Finally, I tried BetterRed's recommendation to install he 32bit version: its working properly, never goes into eternal rest whatever I do. So, this has been good advise!!
Thanks again.
PF
SandFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:39 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandFish View Post
Finally, I tried BetterRed's recommendation to install he 32bit version: its working properly, never goes into eternal rest whatever I do. So, this has been good advise!!
Thanks again.
PF
Actually, it really isn't good advice. If you are running Windows 10 64-bit and the 64-bit version of Calibre is not working, than you have a problem with Windows 10 that needs to be fixed. There is nothing wrong with the 64-bit Calibre. Running the 32-bit Calibre is just a band-aid that won't help when you do run other 64-bit programs that won't work properly due to whatever is wrong.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 06:43 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandFish View Post
@Sandfish - Thanks for getting back to us. The only downside I know of with the 32 bit is that you may have problems with large conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it really isn't good advice. If you are running Windows 10 64-bit and the 64-bit version of Calibre is not working, than you have a problem with Windows 10 that needs to be fixed. There is nothing wrong with the 64-bit Calibre. Running the 32-bit Calibre is just a band-aid that won't help when you do run other 64-bit programs that won't work properly due to whatever is wrong.
Did you bother to read what I suggested to Sandfish !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@SandFish - long shot - can you try installing the 32bit version..

<snip>

If the 32bit does works we can scratch our heads and wonder why
So what we ought to be doing is -- -- its not the first time replacing 64 bit with 32 bit has solved this sort of problem. And no one to my knowledge has come back and said '... and now my 64 bit whatnot program wont work'

I have no idea why it happens because I have never had a machine with the problem that I could examine in detail.

My suggestions are learn to live with the 32 bit version, or do a non destructive reinstall of Windows, doing that has been known to 'fix' these problems too - and again I have no idea why.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

Not limited to W10 version: PATH

The Path (list) order. An incompatible Library module is found before Calibre2

the PATH is insane (contents repeated). (Who knows what caused this burp )

I do believe Kovid avoided using many System (installed) Libraries because of (lack of) compatibility issues
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:31 AM   #20
SandFish
SandFish began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 2
@BetterRed:
Finally, I tried the 32bit Calibre and it's working fine!!
For now, I think I'll stay with it.
Thanks, PF.
SandFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #21
tjavatarici
Ex Libris Avatarici
tjavatarici began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite Gen 2
I have the same issues. Started around January 2017. Spinning busy at almost every click action. I have about 10 libraries with 8-9,000 books. ThinkServer running latest Win10. Tried both 32 and 64 versions, no avail. Will try to find that list on conflicts.

Update 3/9 - I thought about any new installs I made the last couple months and identified the conflict as the StickyPasswords program. It maintains, generates and autofills logins, passwords, and forms. Luckily it allows for a list of programs to ignore and after entering calibre.exe the problems ceased.

Last edited by tjavatarici; 03-06-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Update information
tjavatarici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjavatarici View Post
I have the same issues. Started around January 2017. Spinning busy at almost every click action. I have about 10 libraries with 8-9,000 books. ThinkServer running latest Win10. Tried both 32 and 64 versions, no avail. Will try to find that list on conflicts.
Check your A/V for permissions to write to the temp folder, an update may have changed its rules.

9K books is nothing for W10 to handle
Old 03-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjavatarici View Post
@tjavatarici - how/where are you using calibre? On a client workstation accessing the server, or on the server itself?

If on a client workstation you should read this ==>> I am getting errors with my calibre library on a networked drive/NAS?

If you're using calibre on the server see this for possible causes ==>> calibre freezes/crashes occasionally?

If you still get the problem in Safe Mode, even after you disable/exit all 3rd party applications and shell extensions, try doing a system file check - sfc /scannow - in an elevated command session.

If that doesn't fix it you could
  • try an install of calibre portable, the easiest way to access existing libraries would be to put symlinks to them in the calibre portable folder.
  • do a non-destructive Windows 10 Repair/upgrade, see this ==>> Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums.

If you do a regular Windows Repair or Reset you will lose your 3rd party software and their customisation settings. Most 3rd party software will survive an In-place Upgrade - but I would recommend that you ensure you have the wherewithal to reinstall and reconfigure them.

BR
Old 03-17-2017, 12:05 PM   #24
anca2604
anca2604 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have Calibre portable running on a Lenovo Ideapad 700-ISK laptop with Windows 10 x64 up-to-date, and ever since the Anniversary update I can't get Calibre to run smoothly without freezing every few clicks inside the application unless I open it with Admin privileges. I used to have the x64 version, but ever since the Windows update it kept crashing and to this day I haven't found the culprit.

I read above about the Sticky Password solution and I've already added Calibre to the ignored app list, but still, no go, unless I open with Admin rights. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out what has the Anniversary update changed in the OS to ruin the butter-smooth functionality of Calibre... Why does the app run without crashes ONLY when opened with Admin Rights?
anca2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Runs fine on Intel W10 x64 aniv
You may have a rights issue with you temp folder (since Admin works)
Old 03-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anca2604 View Post
I have Calibre portable running on a Lenovo Ideapad 700-ISK laptop with Windows 10 x64 up-to-date, and ever since the Anniversary update I can't get Calibre to run smoothly without freezing every few clicks inside the application unless I open it with Admin privileges. I used to have the x64 version, but ever since the Windows update it kept crashing and to this day I haven't found the culprit.

I read above about the Sticky Password solution and I've already added Calibre to the ignored app list, but still, no go, unless I open with Admin rights. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out what has the Anniversary update changed in the OS to ruin the butter-smooth functionality of Calibre... Why does the app run without crashes ONLY when opened with Admin Rights?
I would try terminating Sticky Password and and then run calibre. Calibre runs as more than one task, and ignore lists have been known to fail

If Sticky Password allows folders to ignored, try ignoring the complete Calbre2 install folder.

BR
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anca2604 View Post

I would start Windows in safe mode to see if something you run at startup is causing the problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
tjavatarici
Ex Libris Avatarici
tjavatarici began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite Gen 2
If you have Calibre shortcut on the desktop, right click/properties/shortcut/advanced and click run as admin. then it always will. A work-around maybe.
Also, any other anti-spyware-virus etc. programs that run all the time may also have exclusion options to try. I remain OK after doing stickypasswords. good luck.
tjavatarici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #29
anca2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Runs fine on Intel W10 x64 aniv
You may have a rights issue with you temp folder (since Admin works)
After reading your message I checked the TEMP folder, and everything seems to be fine, so I guess that's not it. Moreover, I don't have this issue with any other program installed, only Calibre acts up by freezing every few clicks.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #30
anca2604

As per your suggestion, I have terminated Sticky Password, and to my surprize, Calibre didn't freeze (yet) which is a very good start. I opened it without Admin rights and at the moment, it seems to run fine (hopefully it will continue to). Right now I am using Calibre portable which is only x86, but I will install the x64 version, give it a test, and come back with the results.

This issue has driven me mad ever since the Anniversary update, and I truly hope that I've finally found the culprit. If so, I'm gonna write to the Sticky Password team and let them know this issue so that they can fix this bug.

Thank you all for your suggestions, much appreciated!

Tags
calibre, crashing, freezing, windows 10