Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
NightGeometry
Zealot
NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightGeometry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kindle 3G, Kindle DX
I commute around London (well, from the south coast into London, and then around London), daily, and I couldn't imagine not having my reader. For me it is just so much better than an actual book. I read far more while commuting than at home, quite possibly I just spend too much time commuting though.

Granted, I *always* have a bag when I am outside, I can't really imagine going out without a bag (book / reader, magazines, notepad, miscellaneous junk and camera before I actually put anything in it...)

I guess each to their own, ultimately.
NightGeometry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I of course don't know all the issues with your reader, but I can tell you that Sony software in general is ...er.... poop. That's why I didn't even bother installing the Sony reader software on my computer. I do audio work, and have tried and tried to use Sony's Acid software. If it worked it would be great, but it is without a doubt the buggiest software in the audio world. It is not just crashes, things just simply don't work. They come out with updates, and the same bugs are there as before (some have been in the software for years). It truly amazes me how they can release such screwed up software.... In general though I find their hardware to be okay. They don't seem to have higher rates of failure that other companies, at least in products that I have owned....
Tell me about it. I loaded the Sony software on my MacBook, and I can't even size the window to fit my screen. I probably should just get the reader fixed and try to sell it to give my girlfriend her money back.
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #18
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
Tell me about it. I loaded the Sony software on my MacBook, and I can't even size the window to fit my screen....
Can't you just click on the green + button in the upper left corner of the window or drag the bottom right of the window to resize?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #19
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Can't you just click on the green + button in the upper left corner of the window or drag the bottom right of the window?

Well, in a word, no.
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #20
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I go through cycles of carrying no bag. Then I carry a bag with one or two small items in it, more gets added, and very soon I have a trail of sherpas behind me with my baggage. Then I revert to carrying no bag. At the moment I am in a no-bag phase, so the Sony stays at home.

But my work have foisted a laptop on me, that I will soon have to carry back and forth (grrr). At that point I imagine the Sony will slip into the pouch as well...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #21
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well different strokes for different folks.. i love my 600 and it's been around the globe with me already. cover art? i spent my time reading pages, not gazing at the book jackets. size, not much of a problem. i always have my timbuk2 messenger bag with my with my laptop, the 600 fits just fine in there. i have even taken it out of my leather case and slipped it into an interior pocket in my ski jacket just fine. i do agree the bright lit screen of the iphone (and upcoming ipad) is easier and more convenient for me to read but i got tired of the continuous page turning on the iphone and i can't get into auto-scroll. for now i enjoy my 600 and i'll be preordering an ipad as soon as i can.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I don't spend any time looking at the cover art when I am reading either, of course. Over the last 5 years or so I have accumulated a sizeable number of books in a variety of formats. Until a few months ago there was no central location/catalog of these because of the format mix and DRM. Once I got around to stripping the DRM I was able to collect them all in Calibre. Which is great.

I never bothered loading them all onto the iPhone, just a couple of dozen that I was likely to read imminently - and now that the collection is Dropboxxed I can get whatever I want if it isn't already loaded.

Putting them all on the Sony meant that I was spending some time flicking about to check that the formatting was OK and generally doing catalog type stuff on the device (which is not normal behaviour). Having got used to quick and colourful library navigation on iPhone/Mac, the Sony was not quite so nice. It isn't its core strength of course and I do prefer reading on the Sony, but like Scottjl I can feel an iPad coming my way...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
Well, in a word, no.
I really don't know why not. The Windows version of the Sony software resizes like any other application does. Does the Mac version really have a fixed-size window?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't know why not. The Windows version of the Sony software resizes like any other application does. Does the Mac version really have a fixed-size window?
No, the Mac version is not supposed to have a fixed-size window. I run it on a Mac.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote