Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Canada here

Winnie shows
<dc:language>en</dc:language>

I downloaded a French language book (from our lovely free book choices) and I get this

<dc:language xsi:type="dcterms:RFC4646">fr</dc:language>

However, the iBooks dictionary fails for this language....
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #17
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Already fixed for next release.

Here's what I found in my quick test: If iBooks 1.1 finds either 'en' or 'en-US' in <dc:language>, the dictionary works. It's possible that this is country-specific, as I'm on a US iPad. I'm adding code that forces the <dc:language> declaration to 'en-US' for now.

Harry, can you take a look at Winnie-the-Pooh's OPF file, and tell me what its <dc:language> is declared as?

Calibre may need to allow the user to specify language for different countries, I'll discuss with Kovid.

G
Does this mean we would need to regenerate all our epubs?

If so, does anyone know if itunes will automatically pick these up (assuming I have itunes pointed to my calibre library). I was going to go though the effort of organizing my bookshelf, but if this is going to cause all the books to get 're-added' to ibooks and bugger up the sorting, I'd rather wait.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did a bit of testing. Changed the language to en in one of my books. Itunes would not pick it up unless I first deleted it from itunes and then re-added. So I will wait until there is the Calibre update before I organize my bookshelf.

On the plus side the dictionary works now.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #19
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

What I'd like to see in Calibre is a "Set Dictionary" option that also can be batched. That way you can set the dictionary to whatever language is required without re-converting the epub.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
What I'd like to see in Calibre is a "Set Dictionary" option that also can be batched. That way you can set the dictionary to whatever language is required without re-converting the epub.
It wouldn't be a matter of re-converting the ePub - just changing the value of the language field in the metadata.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iphone ipad
Can I do that using Calibre 7.4? If so, what is the procedure?
- Joe
joeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
tyche
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It wouldn't be a matter of re-converting the ePub - just changing the value of the language field in the metadata.
Right, but it would depend on how that gets implemented. Do you add a metadata field for language or do you add an option during convert in for example the epub output section.

All I'd want is the simple metadata change like you said.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Right, but it would depend on how that gets implemented. Do you add a metadata field for language or do you add an option during convert in for example the epub output section.

All I'd want is the simple metadata change like you said.
Ideally it would simply be an additional item on the "Edit Metadata" page.

All my ePubs are converted from MobiPocket files that do contain a valid "language" metadata field in the OPF. It's a little puzzling why Calibre appears to be throwing this away during conversion to ePub.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #24
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

What process did you use to add the field?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've reported this issue in the Calibre forum, and Kovid has kindly agreed to take a look at it.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
LostSqueak
LostSqueak began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Could anybody please describe how you edit the dc:language bit when you have an epub file that calibre made?
LostSqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
foghat
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSqueak View Post
Could anybody please describe how you edit the dc:language bit when you have an epub file that calibre made?
1. You need to rename the extension on your book from .epub to .zip
2. You can then open the file using winzip (or whatever).
3. Look for a file with a .opf extension.
4. Open this file in notepad and look for the tag name <dc:language>
5. Change the value between these tags to en. so should look like: <dc:language>en</dc:language>
6. save the .opf file and make sure the zip library gets updated with the updated file.
7. change the extension back to .epub
8. Delete the existing book from itunes and sync.
9. Add the changed file to itunes and sync.

should be good now.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Already fixed for next release.

Here's what I found in my quick test: If iBooks 1.1 finds either 'en' or 'en-US' in <dc:language>, the dictionary works. It's possible that this is country-specific, as I'm on a US iPad. I'm adding code that forces the <dc:language> declaration to 'en-US' for now.

Harry, can you take a look at Winnie-the-Pooh's OPF file, and tell me what its <dc:language> is declared as?

Calibre may need to allow the user to specify language for different countries, I'll discuss with Kovid.

G
Using English in <dc:language> also works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
LostSqueak
LostSqueak began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
1. You need to rename the extension on your book from .epub to .zip
2. You can then open the file using winzip (or whatever).
3. Look for a file with a .opf extension.
4. Open this file in notepad and look for the tag name <dc:language>
5. Change the value between these tags to en. so should look like: <dc:language>en</dc:language>
6. save the .opf file and make sure the zip library gets updated with the updated file.
7. change the extension back to .epub
8. Delete the existing book from itunes and sync.
9. Add the changed file to itunes and sync.

should be good now.
Thank you so very much! Worked like a charm.
LostSqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #30
joeru

thanks!