Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
apparently fdkY9rd is still working!
I've gotten a fraud alert on my credit card twice, now. The only books left on my want list are either pbook only or a few that don't seem too compelling after the passage of time. I'm willing to entertain suggestions for must-reads!

BTW, Paola, in my frenzy I noted that the Emilio Lussu book is now available as an ebook in English translation. A Soldier on the Southern Front, for those who might be interested in the classic Italian Great War novel/memoir, essentially the Italian All Quiet. I read it on Paola's recommendation (entitled Sardinian Brigade in English pbook) and it's terrific.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
BTW, Paola, in my frenzy I noted that the Emilio Lussu book is now available as an ebook in English translation. A Soldier on the Southern Front, for those who might be interested in the classic Italian Great War novel/memoir, essentially the Italian All Quiet.
great find, thank you! Unjustifiably pricey in the UK (more than £12), but if I did not have it already I'd take the plunge with the 90% discount. I did in fact buy "All Quiet.." just to fill the gap
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
great find, thank you! Unjustifiably pricey in the UK (more than £12), but if I did not have it already I'd take the plunge with the 90% discount. I did in fact buy "All Quiet.." just to fill the gap
It's only $1.70 in the US so long as the coupon's good; essentially the same pre-coupon price as the UK at nearly $17. I agree, unjustifiably pricey. I assume it'll come down, but not to coupon levels!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM   #19
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'd like to nominate Pilgrim at Tinker Creek

From Goodreads:

An exhilarating meditation on nature and its seasons—a personal narrative highlighting one year's exploration on foot in the author's own neighborhood in Tinker Creek, Virginia. In the summer, Dillard stalks muskrats in the creek and contemplates wave mechanics; in the fall she watches a monarch butterfly migration and dreams of Arctic caribou. She tries to con a coot; she collects pond water and examines it under a microscope. She unties a snake skin, witnesses a flood, and plays 'King of the Meadow' with a field of grasshoppers.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
apparently fdkY9rd is still working!
I have tried a few countries and it keeps telling me it has already been used. Any suggestions?
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll use my last vote to second Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I have tried a few countries and it keeps telling me it has already been used. Any suggestions?
It's been working in the US and India for me. Try those two and use Chrome or Firefox, to make sure you get the new checkout.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #23
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
It's been working in the US and India for me. Try those two and use Chrome or Firefox, to make sure you get the new checkout.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks for the tip!
India, of course, for those books uncouponable or unavailable in the US. Hope it's working for you!
Old 03-03-2014, 03:29 AM   #25
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
India, of course, for those books uncouponable or unavailable in the US. Hope it's working for you!
yes, in firefox with the new checkout - apparently still going strong!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 AM   #26
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccowie View Post
I'd like to nominate Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Seconded.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Seconded.
That was actually a third now that I've updated it, and I'll fourth it.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #28
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
An interesting selection.
I will try to read whatever is chosen this month, but I don't have enough time to nominate a book till after my journey in april.
Spoiler:
Yes, finished my book and it is printed, but I have have some interviews about it. And I started to sell my old books on the internet (doing well at it I'm glad to say http://desert.boekwinkeltjes.nl) and am preparing for my journey to Indonesia......there are not enough hours in a day and not enough years in my life and I never get my pile of books TBR read......
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
An interesting selection.
I will try to read whatever is chosen this month, but I don't have enough time to nominate a book till after my journey in april.
Spoiler:
Yes, finished my book and it is printed, but I have have some interviews about it. And I started to sell my old books on the internet (doing well at it I'm glad to say http://desert.boekwinkeltjes.nl) and am preparing for my journey to Indonesia......there are not enough hours in a day and not enough years in my life and I never get my pile of books TBR read......
Congratulations on the book! And on the extra pocket money for your trip. Don't worry about having enough time to read the selection, though, as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Help us select what the MR Literary Club will read for March 2014!

The nominations will run for four days until 5 January. Then, a separate voting poll will begin where the month's selection will be decided.
You've got ten months until we pick.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Congratulations on the book! And on the extra pocket money for your trip. Don't worry about having enough time to read the selection, though, as:

You've got ten months until we pick.
Thank you, Issybird, that sets my heart at ease.
I am reading some of the Dutch writers who either have been born or were raised in Indonesia, or have Indonesian roots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hella_Haasse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adriaan_van_Dis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Bloem
And I am preparing my traveljournal with an eye on the historical or rather colonial ties of the Netherlands and Indonesia. For a great part this is a painful story of love, hate and cruel things.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote