Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My wife and a Kindle 3 have helped me to enjoy reading very much. I now see why people like to read for fun and not just to learn something. It is relaxing.
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #17
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamom View Post
If you're enjoying the HP series, I'd like to suggest that you reread it at some point. You'll see things you didn't see the first time, because the second time around you'll know so much more. Those books are an enjoyable reread.
Very true. I'm thinking of doing a re-read soon, myself.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 AM   #18
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Susan Cooper's _The Dark is Rising_ Pentalogy is an excellent work which both of my kids enjoyed:

Over Sea, Under Stone
The Dark Is Rising
Greenwitch
The Grey King
Silver on the Tree

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is somewhat darker than Harry Potter, but pushed many of the same buttons (for me, at least).

Another series you might find of interest is The Black Magician by Trudi Canavan, which features a young girl discovering magical powers she didn't know she possessed and gaining entry to a university of Magicians.
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I now see why people like to read for fun and not just to learn something.
Some of us even manage to both at once.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #21
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Second Susan Cooper, recursively second the seconding of my recommendation for Diana Wynne Jones being extended to her Howl's Moving Castle series (Dark Lord of Derholm didn't do much for me, but her Tough Guide to Fantasyland is a hoot).

Add also Lloyd Alexander's Prydain and Westmark series (a classic loosely based on Welsh mythology and excellent, ignore the Disney movie; and vaguely post-medieval pre-industrial urban ghetto, respectively) and Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series starting with Sabriel, which has an older magical kingdom existing almost side by side with a regular English-y sort, much like Harry Potter does.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series starting with Sabriel, which has an older magical kingdom existing almost side by side with a regular English-y sort, much like Harry Potter does.
You beat me to this recommendation. A very good series (the other books are Lirael and Abhorsen, if I remember off the top of my head). They're also sometimes referred to as The Abhorsen Trilogy. Wonderful female protagonists (one of them a librarian, too! ), and a great parallel-worlds scenario.

On a more classic (and less light-hearted, perhaps) note, I also like Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books as a series (Titus Groan, Gormenghast, and Titus Alone). There's no magic, but it's still considered fantasy (I guess they could be called Gothic).
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #23
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I third the Garth Nix recommendation. Wow, this thread is really going to extend my TBR list, so many books that I'd love to check out have been mentioned!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #24
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Thank you for all this help, this is a great forum with very helpful people.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins is really good. I couldn't put it down and that's rare for me. It's not "magic" though.

I'm reading The Secret Hour by Scott Westerfield at the moment and that's also very good, and less serious. It's magical too.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #26
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Since Brian Jaques has just passed away, and I really think that his books are great, while not in the same style as Harry Potter, but Redwall is a really great read!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #27
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. quick plot: England, the year 1806. England is at war w/Napoleon and it has been centuries since practical magic has been a part of society, but then scholars of magic history find out there is one practicing Magician left, the reclusive Mr. Norrell. Mr. Norrell is pressured to prove his powers, with wonders like making statues speak and sing, when a new young powerful magician appears, Jonathan Strange.
Jonathan becomes Mr. Norrell's pupil. Strange & Norrell are complete opposites in temperament. As Jonathan's powers and skills increase, so do his ambitions.

I have to mention I own this book, but haven't read it yet. I am looking forward to reading it, but I'm always getting book request from the library that take priority! Anyway, this book was hailed as the grown-up Harry Potter by some critics, IT may have even been Stephen King who said this.

Last edited by beespeckled; 02-08-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling phrasing correction
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #28
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. quick plot: England, the year 1806. England is at war w/Napoleon and it has been centuries since practical magic has been a part of society, but then scholars of magic history find out there is one practicing Magician left, the reclusive Mr. Norrell. Mr. Norrell is pressured to prove his powers, with wonders like making statues speak and sing, when a new young powerful magician appears, Jonathan Strange.
Jonathan becomes Mr. Norrell's pupil. Strange & Norrell are complete opposites in temperament. As Jonathan's powers and skills increase, so do his ambitions.

I have to mention I own this book, but haven't read it yet. I am looking forward to reading it, but I'm always getting book request from the library that take priority! Anyway, this book was hailed as the grown-up Harry Potter by some critics, IT may have even been Stephen King who said this.
I really liked Dr. Strange and mister Norrell, so much so that I plan on re-reading it. There are a lot of details in the story that I think I might have missed first time around. It is very obvious when reading the book that a lot of care and love went into writing it; as a reader, I really, truly appreciate that.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman was also hailed as the grown-up HP, and that's not an exaggeration at all. It did have it's flaws, but it's still a good read. I do plan on reading the sequel when it gets published later this year.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #29
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

This is some great help. Now to switch things up a bit, I also liked Lawrence Block the Bernie Rhodenbarr series and the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum series, so any ideas based on those as well?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #30
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Second Susan Cooper, recursively second the seconding of my recommendation for Diana Wynne Jones being extended to her Howl's Moving Castle series (Dark Lord of Derholm didn't do much for me, but her Tough Guide to Fantasyland is a hoot).

Add also Lloyd Alexander's Prydain and Westmark series (a classic loosely based on Welsh mythology and excellent, ignore the Disney movie; and vaguely post-medieval pre-industrial urban ghetto, respectively) and Garth Nix's Old Kingdom series starting with Sabriel, which has an older magical kingdom existing almost side by side with a regular English-y sort, much like Harry Potter does.
Thanks for that, the tough guide looks excellent. I think my eyes skipped over it before because of the "non-fiction" tag.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote