Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Sony 950 has wireless connectivity, I am not certain if it is 3G or WiFi though. And the Kobo has wireless, I believe they have a 3G model as well as the WiFi model.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #17
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
before you do anything have you tried playing with the setting for the display?

for example I have the brightness on about 20% and use normal background right now. But I started out with using the gray background and then sepia, also night is very easy on the eyes. My wife likes using the "butter" background. out of the box yeah it's was pretty bright but with some tweaking, I was actually shocked at not only how well I adapted to it but I actually now prefer it.

If that still just doesn't do it for you, I would just keep it in the family and get the nook classic. Great screen contrast and all sorts of other goodies. and if money permits you may want to think about keeping the nook color. I own both and find they are a perfect compliment to each other. Both takes advantage of the others disadvantage, plus you have a nice little web browsing tablet, and a place to read magazines and newspapers on the go.

something to think about.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #18
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
AFAIK, the old Sony PRS-505 still has the longest battery life, if you can find one. All the new bells-and-whistles (WiFi, 3g, touchscreens, LCD second screens) really drain those batteries.

Or probably any one that doesn't have those features (the Pocketbook 360?)

Whatever you choose, there's going to be a trade-off.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #19
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
AFAIK, the old Sony PRS-505 still has the longest battery life, if you can find one. All the new bells-and-whistles (WiFi, 3g, touchscreens, LCD second screens) really drain those batteries.

Or probably any one that doesn't have those features (the Pocketbook 360?)

Whatever you choose, there's going to be a trade-off.
how long is that? I think the K3 is up to two weeks now
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #20
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Sony 950 has wireless connectivity, I am not certain if it is 3G or WiFi though.
The Sony 950 has both Wi-Fi and 3G, but I think the 3G only goes to the Sony Bookstore.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 03:54 AM   #21
medic1
Medic1
medic1 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeway63 View Post
Hope I'm posting this in the right area, and I apologize if not, but there are so many forum threads here, it would take me weeks to catch up and I'm new, and unfortunately without a lot of spare time right now.

Got the color nook for christmas, and its really a nice product. It honestly is great. Except for a couple things... my eyes.

After reading for an extended period of time, I'm having real problems with my eyes.

Probably read 400 pages out of The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith last night and the type of lighting used isn't going to work for me. I'll have to go to the basic paper type reader.

There are a couple of criteria though that I didn't know I needed until I got to playing around with this color nook.

I need great battery life, and I don't want to be tied down to one particular book provider. Also must have epub format.

Will be interested to know opinions on this topic.
Hi, I have only just joined this forum - never usually do this...however, re epub....I found a converting software free download - CALIBRE.....I have set it up on my note book but I am unable to actually transfer to my iPhone due to no wifi available at the moment.
This prog enables you to import any format of ebook and export it as epub...the site has a demo video...good to watch
medic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello leeway,

eyestrain is due to the use of TFTscreens, e.g. computer screens. E-ink displays won't strain your eyes as they are not loading the text constantly as TFT's do but only when you turn the page. This said it is quite easy to distinguish a device for your needs from any that you better not buy. Just have a look at the battery life and you will know which technologie is used.

For example Alurateks battery life is 24 hrs = constantly uploading the text = eyestrain. (even though there are folks that are happy with them)
Pocketbook, Sony, Kindle, BeBook, Cybook, and others have a battery life of 7,000 to 10,000 page turns = good for your eyes.

Sony has its own bookstore but you are not tied to buy there as was stated in this thread wrongly. You are able to buy books whereever you like to. There is a Sony device with Wi-Fi and 3G if you wanna buy on the run, it's the Sony PRS-950 Daily Edition.

Same is true for Kindle devices. They have their own bookstore but you are able to buy whereever you like to.

What you should consider beforehand is that there are two main bookformats: epub and mobi. While Kindle uses mobi Sony and the others use epub. Remember the two different videoformats in the 80ies? There was Betamax and VHS and you hat to make up your mind which one you wanted to use before buying a machine. Same applies here unless you learn to strip the DRMs.

To make a long story short: Actually you are free to buy whichever appeals to you mostly but have a close look at the battery life. It has to be stated in page turns to be the right thing for your eyes.

Hope this helps
Poppaea
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #23
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
Hi, I have only just joined this forum - never usually do this...however, re epub....I found a converting software free download - CALIBRE.....I have set it up on my note book but I am unable to actually transfer to my iPhone due to no wifi available at the moment.
This prog enables you to import any format of ebook and export it as epub...the site has a demo video...good to watch

Welcome to mobileread...

You will, I hope, have noticed we have a Calibre Forum here on the site, and the developer is a member....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:49 PM   #24
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
how long is that? I think the K3 is up to two weeks now

I usually charge mine when it gets to half-charged, which roughly every 2-3 weeks. Could probably go a month without charging, but being without a book when I need one is too torturous to risk.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote