Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-25-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I even thought that a new device with Gingerbread wouldn't get a Google stamp of approval anymore (as in 'Bad device! No Google Play for you!' :-))...
Would be nice if they forced it. The OS alone is a deal breaker.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It was a good idea with poor implementation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #18
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
2 weeks?

2 weeks battery life?
very interesting..brings back memories of good old Nokia mobiles..1100/3310/3315.
Probably worth buying just for this reason.
(but worth confirming what the 2 weeks mean).
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Would be nice if they forced it. The OS alone is a deal breaker.
It wouldn't bother me in the least. Neither does the lack of a camera. The two most important things for me in a phone are: Phone and connectivity. After that I'd like to be able to read and send text/emails. Some ability to connect to the internet and possibly GPS would come in after that. I love the SD card part.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #20
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
Sorry but why would anyone want an e-ink smart phone ?We can accept the limitations of e-ink on a dedicated reader for the readability and extended battery life but smart phone users are used to color/video etc etc .. can't see this having any impact
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #21
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
@bla

Well, depends on the market your resellers aim for (like India).

Last edited by beachwanderer; 06-25-2014 at 03:21 PM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
It wouldn't bother me in the least. Neither does the lack of a camera. The two most important things for me in a phone are: Phone and connectivity. After that I'd like to be able to read and send text/emails. Some ability to connect to the internet and possibly GPS would come in after that. I love the SD card part.
The OS matters for me. Streaming audio is an important feature for me and Prime Music is not supported in Gingerbread. I would love to have both eink and streaming in a shirt pocket-sized device. It's a shame that this phone missed the mark (for me).
Old 06-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by bla View Post
Sorry but why would anyone want an e-ink smart phone ?We can accept the limitations of e-ink on a dedicated reader for the readability and extended battery life but smart phone users are used to color/video etc etc .. can't see this having any impact
I wouldn't mind one. I don't need color or video. I'm a pretty "low end" user. Granted, the price would have to be right and I'd have to have a bigger need than I currently have for an improved phone, but I currently have a pretty dumb cell phone and only use it when I travel (which is not frequently). It would be nice to have a few extras for traveling. Not every phone has to be high-end. I'm not willing to pay for all the whistles and bells.

I'd like one that can handle software that runs hearing aids, would allow me to read books and can make phone calls...but as for other apps, I don't have them now and I don't have much desire to get them either.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
...but I currently have a pretty dumb cell phone and only use it when I travel (which is not frequently).
I have a dumb phone too and use mine all the time (phone calls and texting). Smartphones on Verizon require a data plan and I refuse to pay for something I don't need.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #25
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
The limitations are irrelevant to some of us. I don't need video on a phone. I haven't switched to a smartphone yet because of the low battery life.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 PM   #26
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
oh..right in the backyard. Interesting..but no news yet on availability.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:34 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Sorry but why would anyone want an e-ink smart phone ?
Daylight visibility and longer battery life are the obvious answers. Not everybody uses their phone for video. A device doesn't have to have universal appeal: the phone market is big enough for niche products to be successful.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:44 AM   #28
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Daylight visibility and longer battery life are the obvious answers. Not everybody uses their phone for video. A device doesn't have to have universal appeal: the phone market is big enough for niche products to be successful.
I wonder if some decent e-ink dumbphones appear any time soon. I don't think I want a smartphone at all, but I would like an e-ink screen.
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post
I wonder if some decent e-ink dumbphones appear any time soon. I don't think I want a smartphone at all, but I would like an e-ink screen.
Basic phones with eInk screens have been available for several years now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #30
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoichi View Post
I do not think the InkPhone qualifies as smart - Android 2.3 is dumb enough ;-)

Now seriously, have a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Fone
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote