Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
sbaum4853
YA Fantasy Author
sbaum4853 is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
I usually have multiple books going at once, fiction and nonfiction.
sbaum4853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
When I study I like to have 2 different text books that cover the same (very technical) subjects.

When I read for pleasure I have no problems reading 2 or even 3 books at a time. Or I may read just one book in 2 days (I'm just not a speed reader).

Thinking about it now, it seem like I have "pairs". Combinations of horror and mystery or SciFi and historical. Or fiction and classical.

Any others that read 2 or more books concurrently?
One book in two days??? Oh, to be *that* laid back and slow again! My personal best is 3 inside one 24-hour period, but I *usually* slack off and only read one per day!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Yes, I usually read across multiple "books". I say "books" because 99.9% of the material I read is on a dedicated reader and the "books" include multiple RSS feeds, daily papers, 2 different genre novels, and a short story collection. Of the first two, I don't read every single word, usually skim for important information. Technical books tend to be reference only so I don't actually read them. I also load my current knitting pattern onto my reader.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #19
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I have always one main book and others on the waiting list or that are light... like I dunno some funny book or Suntzu or short fables or tales that I can read in 5 min each.

So I think I like to have different genres.

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
One book in two days??? Oh, to be *that* laid back and slow again! My personal best is 3 inside one 24-hour period, but I *usually* slack off and only read one per day!

Derek
Let me guess. Single, no kids?

Sometimes I wish that I could go thru the hidden door in the back of the wardrobe and sneak away for a while.

To the best of my memory there have been several 2 day reads;
Interview with the Vampire - Anne Rice
The Stainless Steel Rat - Harry Harrison
Semper Fi - W. E. B. Griffin

Oh, there are others. But those stick out.

Otherwise I'm a slow reader. Depending on what else is going on in my life it takes about 5 to 7 days to read one book.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #21
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I usually have a bunch of books at a time going on- and they are often location specific. One in the bathroom, one in the bedroom, one at work, one in the car..... the only problem is that now certain books are irrevocably connected to certain locations. I'm not sure there are a lot of authors who wrote their books thinking they'd like a toilet and sink to be part of the memorable experience.... (I brush my teeth, brush hair, put lotion on, etc all while reading).

If the book is un-put-downable, then I will take it to all locations. I usually have different genres going on at once, or fiction/nonfiction. I also always have several puzzles going on at one time and I go to those when my brain needs to relax.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Four or Five at a time. Even before ebooks, I'd have at least three pbooks going at the same time.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:01 AM   #23
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I can have up to a dozen going at one time, but usually only one of those is a novel. The rest are different types of non-fiction. Not too bad for a declared non-multi-tasker!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've had over 20 books going at once, but I'm trying to cut down. Right now, all told, I'm not actually reading more than 10, although I've started more. After they've been read, I'll move on to the others.

It can get confusing, especially if two are similar in style or content!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I usually have a bunch of books at a time going on- and they are often location specific. One in the bathroom, one in the bedroom, one at work, one in the car..... the only problem is that now certain books are irrevocably connected to certain locations. I'm not sure there are a lot of authors who wrote their books thinking they'd like a toilet and sink to be part of the memorable experience.... (I brush my teeth, brush hair, put lotion on, etc all while reading).

If the book is un-put-downable, then I will take it to all locations. I usually have different genres going on at once, or fiction/nonfiction. I also always have several puzzles going on at one time and I go to those when my brain needs to relax.
Books in the bathroom? That's what magazines are for!

Although books of quotations work well there!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:23 AM   #26
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I can only cope with one book at a time - if I try more than one, I end up sticking with the one I like best.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:10 AM   #27
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I am reading two books at the moment. The third I haven't started yet. Each of my readers is loaded with a different book. It helps bringing search times down.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #28
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Since I've got my Cybook, I read several books at the same time. Usually one I'm proofreading, one in another language for a change, a paper book for the bed (since I realized I need pen and paper to note the typos and errors in ebooks, I decided for the moment it's better to have a paper book for the bed), and sometimes another paper book for traveling (if I don't want to expose the Cybook to the dangers abroad).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
I'm one of the multi-readers, too. I currently have a contemporary book I haven't read before on the 505, which I primarily use at home. I have an historical book on the Kindle, which goes with me in public. And I have a dead tree book that I take with me to the bathroom--which means I may be reading on it this time next year. Oh, and I have a book I'm rereading on the iPhone, which I read at night when I can't turn on a light.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #30
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I generally have 3 or 4 books going at the same time, not including the book I am editing for a client. I find that at different times of the day, I prefer to read different types of books. For example, . . .

I am currently editing a multivolume medical book on neck and head imaging. That covers my workday. When I quit editing for the day, I like to grab my Sony 505 and read a fiction ebook for 1-1.5 hours. After dinner, I pickup either the Sony or a hardcover and read another hour or so of fiction but a different book than what I was reading earlier.

At bedtime I pickup a hardcover nonfiction book and read that for 1-1.5 hours. I usually alternate nights between a couple of nonfiction books.

I admit that occasionally I find a book is so compelling that that I do not want to put it down so my usual schedule goes by the side and I simply read the one book until completion. This is not often the case, so I usually adhere to the above schedule.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote