Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #16
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Don't forget, though, that the original iPhone never really took off in the corporate world, and Apple claim to be trying to target the iPhone 3G at the Enterprise market as well as the individual. Video conferencing is now hugely important in the large Enterprise market, especially with rising transport costs meaning that most companies are trying to reduce travel to meetings. The organisation I work for makes massive use of video conferencing. It seems like a curious omission - it's something which pretty much every other phone aimed at the business market has, and its lack could hurt Apple's sales in that market sector.
I think it won't hurt at all.
They'll have conferences with their Nokia, and everyone of them will have an iPhone in the jacket pocket to be cool.
Same for MMS, phone calls, videos, photos...
Nobody will use the iPhone as the primary device for a specific task (they have phones, iPods, DSLRs and video cameras for that).
iPhone is intended to make people cool and trendy, not productive.

Have you ever seen Company reps to spend a night in ques to get some needed device?

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack B Nimble View Post
Must be one of those differences between Europe and the US. Outside of demos, I've never seen anyone use a cell for video conferencing. Heck, several of the companies I do business with still don't allow camera phones on the premises.

Jack
Actually, none of the California State Courts and the Federal Courts are in that group as well. All camera phones must be checked in with the guards at the front door.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
The device lacks some basic functionalities...
The battery cannot be changed if not by sending in the device...
The most useful things are provided by third parties...

I got it!!!!

The iPhone is made by iRex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Video conferencing is now hugely important in the large Enterprise market, especially with rising transport costs meaning that most companies are trying to reduce travel to meetings. The organisation I work for makes massive use of video conferencing.
Does your organization use cell phones for this? Wow, things have changed since I was in the corporate sector.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Does your organization use cell phones for this? Wow, things have changed since I was in the corporate sector.
Our major sites have video conferencing suites, but many people use laptops with webcams for it. I've never actually seen anyone use a mobile phone for video conferencing, I have to admit, but I understand that phones like the modern Nokia range are very capable of doing so. They certainly make it a significant feature of their advertising. In a sense, though, I don't think it's important if people actually use it or not. Large companies won't buy it if this feature isn't there because it's on their "must have" check list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #21
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Our major sites have video conferencing suites, but many people use laptops with webcams for it. I've never actually seen anyone use a mobile phone for video conferencing, I have to admit, but I understand that phones like the modern Nokia range are very capable of doing so. They certainly make it a significant feature of their advertising. In a sense, though, I don't think it's important if people actually use it or not. Large companies won't buy it if this feature isn't there because it's on their "must have" check list.

Now that would not surprise me in the least! A feature demanded by IT or other policy makers, which forces the company to buy more expensive equipment, but is never actually used by the staff or anyone doing actual work. I think that summarizes about half of the Dilbert strips I've ever read.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM   #22
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
With Stanza it makes a fine ereader. Hate to say this, but I really like the new iPhone.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #23
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Don't forget, though, that the original iPhone never really took off in the corporate world, and Apple claim to be trying to target the iPhone 3G at the Enterprise market as well as the individual.
The iPhone never took off in the corporate world because it lacked a critical feature: push email. That "always in touch" feature is what made the Blackberry the corporate must-have.

Apple licensed ActiveSync technology from Microsoft, so we can expect to see the iPhone able to connect to and get mail from corporate Exchange Servers, which will go a long way toward making the iPhone a supported corporate product. The big issue from the corporate end will be standards and support. It will have to supply connectivity and support connected devices, so how easy that will be will be a major factor in adoption.

Quote:
Video conferencing is now hugely important in the large Enterprise market, especially with rising transport costs meaning that most companies are trying to reduce travel to meetings. The organisation I work for makes massive use of video conferencing. It seems like a curious omission - it's something which pretty much every other phone aimed at the business market has, and its lack could hurt Apple's sales in that market sector.
It sounds like it's also something that can be added by a third-party application. Care to bet on how soon one will appear?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #24
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
But does your employer have video conferencing on the must have list for cell phones? I'll be surprised, if so.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It sounds like it's also something that can be added by a third-party application. Care to bet on how soon one will appear?
______
Dennis
I don't think video conferencing can be added by a third party app, because it depends on hardware which the iPhone doesn't have - a camera pointing towards the user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #26
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
WELL noted and Nothing new from Apple. They have enuf Macheads and heaps of Sheeple who never question the Apple Mystique...

hence good sales for their "cool products".

Quote:
I've just read a review of the new iPhone 3G and am quite shocked by some of the features missing from it:
  • No MMS messaging.
  • No video recording.
  • No forward-facing camera for video conferencing.
  • No stereo bluetooth connection.

These are basic features which one would expect any modern "smartphone" to provide. I'm very surprised indeed to find that Apple would omit them. The lack of MMS messaging in particular is utterly inexplicable - that's something that even the cheapest European handset generally provides.

I just don't "get it" with Apple. They make a great product like the iPhone, and then miss out some really basic features which all their rivals provide. Perhaps they should concentrate more on the basic functionality and less on the "sexiness"?
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #27
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
OK ok lets get something very clear here I have an iphone! bought for £169 then unlocked by myself for free.

Value wise its fantastic THE best touch screen phone/music/video player available for that price is great.

The lack of features Harry mentions....

* No MMS messaging.
Ok fine some use it I never have and I cant say I know anyone that cant manage without it or would genuinly miss it.

* No video recording.
Its a phone! its not aimed at 16 year olds who post crappy unwatchable videos to youtube!

* No forward-facing camera for video conferencing.
NO ONE does this on a phone! ok maybe there are 10 people that do it. I have never ever seen this.

* No stereo bluetooth connection.
I have a set of sony bluetooth headphones and the technology isnt right yet as they cant get the batteries small enough o just arent as comfy as a light in ear headphone.

But importantly the feature Apple have put in there have two great selling points! they work and people actually use them.

Im quite happy to lose the above features in return for...

Visual voicemail - Genius only device you can do it on.
Its also an IPOD! - yes other phones play mp3's Sony for example... who insist I can only use their headset as it has no audio jack!
Safari web browser - full featured mobile browser that has tabs etc.
Apple usability - It really is a feature of the phone just jow damn intuitive it is to use, strangers have a go and can just use it! you cant say the same for a blackberry or a viewty.

And Finally if you dont like it or it has features you dont need... dont buy it?
But why talk about it?

Harry why bring the iphone up to talkk about? arent their other phones that dont have features like video conferencing or mms? of course their are! but the only one your talking about repeatedly is the iphone.

Why?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:04 AM   #28
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
OK ok lets get something very clear here I have an iphone! bought for £169 then unlocked by myself for free.
* No video recording.
Its a phone! its not aimed at 16 year olds who post crappy unwatchable videos to youtube! Why?
BUT most likely geared for people with a 16 year old mentality. Definitely a "KOOL" product.

Why get down on Harry. He has an iphone. He supports the "God" Steve Jobs as you do.

The iphone and the Kindle. Nothing new just flashy Marketing. But it works..well done to both companies...

hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #29
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post

Value wise its fantastic THE best touch screen phone/music/video player available for that price is great.

The lack of features Harry mentions....

* No MMS messaging.
Ok fine some use it I never have and I cant say I know anyone that cant manage without it or would genuinly miss it.

* No video recording.
Its a phone! its not aimed at 16 year olds who post crappy unwatchable videos to youtube!

* No forward-facing camera for video conferencing.
NO ONE does this on a phone! ok maybe there are 10 people that do it. I have never ever seen this.

* No stereo bluetooth connection.
I have a set of sony bluetooth headphones and the technology isnt right yet as they cant get the batteries small enough o just arent as comfy as a light in ear headphone.

But importantly the feature Apple have put in there have two great selling points! they work and people actually use them.

Im quite happy to lose the above features in return for...

Visual voicemail - Genius only device you can do it on.
Its also an IPOD! - yes other phones play mp3's Sony for example... who insist I can only use their headset as it has no audio jack!
Safari web browser - full featured mobile browser that has tabs etc.
Apple usability - It really is a feature of the phone just jow damn intuitive it is to use, strangers have a go and can just use it! you cant say the same for a blackberry or a viewty.

And Finally if you dont like it or it has features you dont need... dont buy it?
But why talk about it?

Harry why bring the iphone up to talkk about? arent their other phones that dont have features like video conferencing or mms? of course their are! but the only one your talking about repeatedly is the iphone.

Why?
I think it's gotten brought up in the discussions because it is being touted as an ebook reader.

Otherwise, I have no idea ... and I love my current phone too much to part with it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #30
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I am one of the unlucky few who have *not* found Apple products to be intuitive. I've played with Mac computers, many times throughout the years and they just confuse me. I can't get anything done.

I finally purchased an iPod last year and had to take a class at the Apple store because I couldn't figure some basic things out. I recently purchased an iPod for Dummies book because I still find out how to do things by accident and wanted to know what else I've been missing. If I can find another Rio Carbon at a good price, I'm going back.

Maybe, if I'd never worked with DOS or Windows it wouldn't be so hard for me. It's like learning a new language.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!