Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eBook Library works on Vista x64 only for the 505 and 700 because they mount as a mass storage device natively. The USB driver for the 500 requires x32 and I don't think there ever will be an x64 driver. Calibre does not work with the 500 under any Windows x64.
You better tell that to the guy I corresponded with that uses his Sony 500 with the Sony software. Since the "driver" isn't really a driver... it does work on 64-bit as well as 32-bit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
The other factor that nobody has mentioned is the battery. A used PRS-500 has probably been used for several years and the battery will not be in that great of shape. I sold my 500 on ebay mainly because I could see the battery life slowly dissipating.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
The other factor that nobody has mentioned is the battery. A used PRS-500 has probably been used for several years and the battery will not be in that great of shape. I sold my 500 on ebay mainly because I could see the battery life slowly dissipating.
There have been threads here which provide the model number to get a new battery and step to replace it. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined the procedure didn't look to difficult.

My 500 was used for about a year then I bough my Kindle. So, the battery is still in good shape. I keep thinking I should sell it to a good home where it will be used and loved... but I haven't.

BOb
Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You better tell that to the guy I corresponded with that uses his Sony 500 with the Sony software. Since the "driver" isn't really a driver... it does work on 64-bit as well as 32-bit.
I'm afraid "the guy" is either mistaken or is misleading you. PRS-500 definitely needs a "real" driver (not just USB mass storage interface) for it to be accessible by eBook Library and that driver does not work on x64.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm afraid "the guy" is either mistaken or is misleading you. PRS-500 definitely needs a "real" driver (not just USB mass storage interface) for it to be accessible by eBook Library and that driver does not work on x64.
Ok.. now that my addled brain thinks about it... I recalled the wrong thing. It as the "driver" that Sony provides that DE uses to authorize it. That is not really a "driver".

My apologies. Thanks for setting me straight.

BOb
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #21
bbrowne74
bbrowne74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
CHeck out the Circuit Cities that are closing. I snagged mine for under $200 new in box.
bbrowne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #22
stevejay
Enthusiast
stevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litterstevejay doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500 prs
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Nice- sell something because it will fail soon

just kidding
stevejay is offline   Reply With Quote