Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #16
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/02/04/10-re...aw-fact-check/ sums it up pretty well in my opinion.
Thanks for the great link! Pretty much sums it all up for me too, plus I had a few giggles while reading!
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
That's a silly comparison as those are all things you expect a car to have.

What the article listed are things you expect a PC/laptop have. And the iPad is not a Tablet PC. It's a touch tablet device meant to serve a niche between a phone and PC (or full TabletPC).

If you don't need such a device and are happy with your smartphone and laptop, then you shouldn't be shopping for this kind of tablet device, but maybe a full on Tablet PC if you want a laptop with a touch/stylus screen.

This is for people that just want a tablet for media purposes and not full computing purposes, so kind of silly to knock it for that vs. just saying "It's not the type of device for me" and moving on.
Nobody is "knocking" it. We are brainstorming and pointing out the good and bad things about the device so that we can make an educated decision before we jump into buying it and come away disappointed. This doesn't really affect those among you that have already decided that this is what you want.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
nigeldb
email tragic
nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, iPhone
Can't make hadwritten notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
1. Not built around a stylus, .
Hi Dmaul, I'm with you on this one and I can't work out why there isn't more comment on it. It would be a great replacement for all those spiral bound notebooks that are carried from meeting to meeting.

I love my iRex where I can quickly refer back to previous meetings and discussion.....also, don't need to transfer my untidy scrawls to nice tidy typewritten text, don't need to.

If iPad (or similar) gets writing capability, I'll happily get one.

Nigel db
nigeldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #19
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
The ixxx devices will not do much good for APPLE if they have expension slots, since they would not be able to sell the high end model with more memory at the price they want, and the low end model will have the greatest sales.

As an ebook reader, the ipad is not going to replace e-ink style devices since the screen is not designed for reading. However, it represents a possible solution to newspaper or magazine websites, a new business model where ipad is sold at discount price if user subscribe to the services, much like mobile phones.

Then again, other e-ink centric devices can do the same.

Another great use for ipad is e-reader is at the schools, it can double as a learning aid, interactive text book. Maths, science and history lessons would be a lot more interesting than plain text books!!!

Oddly, unlike iphone or ipod, every one of my friends, geek and mainstream, male and female express no desire to purchase one.

It does not look like it would do well at the currrent price. I guess it won't take off until it hits the under 399 USD mark for 16GB 3G enable model.

I expect to see them at 199 if subscribe to a few newspaper and magazine package for two years...

I don't see myself getting one any time soon, however, a 9 inch e-ink device with a 1GHZ CPU powerful enough to read PDF in black and white just like i can with a netbook selling 399 would get my money, ipad would not...
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 AM   #20
KenK
KenK began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I, iRex DR1000S
I'm OK with the limitations mentioned so far. Except one: There's no stylus! That makes it completely unusable for the 2 functions I use my tablet PC, which are (1) taking handwritten notes (not handwriting recognition, just scribbling) and (2) annotating documents. I wish I could find something lighter than my current Fujitsu T2020, but haven't found it yet. (I even tried the iRex DR1000s but it's way too slow for flipping through a long PDF document.)
KenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenK View Post
I'm OK with the limitations mentioned so far. Except one: There's no stylus! That makes it completely unusable for the 2 functions I use my tablet PC, which are (1) taking handwritten notes (not handwriting recognition, just scribbling) and (2) annotating documents. I wish I could find something lighter than my current Fujitsu T2020, but haven't found it yet. (I even tried the iRex DR1000s but it's way too slow for flipping through a long PDF document.)
Yeah, there have been hints of handwriting stuff, but I'm wondering if Apple just isn't interested in that segment of the market...they seem pretty enamored with multi-touch/finger interfaces for now.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #22
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
The ixxx devices will not do much good for APPLE if they have expension slots, since they would not be able to sell the high end model with more memory at the price they want, and the low end model will have the greatest sales.
The missing SDHC card slot is due to greed? That is downright shameful.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #23
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
The missing SDHC card slot is due to greed? That is downright shameful.

Can you name an i device that has a expension slot since the first Ipod?

The fact is, having no expension slot makes the copy righted content to be better protected, or in other words, have more firm grip on monopoly.

i think the ipad that runs Mac OS would have a card slot but for one runs on Iphone OS, it won't have.

I suspect the 4th Gen iphone to be just a 7xx mhz (or 1Ghz with the same A4 chip) model with frontal camera, camera lights on 5 mega pixel cam, bigger memory but still no expension slot.

Last edited by jackau; 02-05-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The fact is, having no expension slot makes the copy righted content to be better protected, or in other words, have more firm grip on monopoly.

i think the ipad that runs Mac OS would have a card slot but for one runs on Iphone OS, it won't have.

I suspect the 4th Gen iphone to be just a 7xx ghz (or 1Ghz with the same A4 chip) model with frontal camera, camera lights on 5 mega pixel cam, bigger memory but still no expension slot.
Actually, I was shocked when they added SD card slots on the new iMac and Macbooks-Apple never seemed that interested in removable media.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Nobody is "knocking" it. We are brainstorming and pointing out the good and bad things about the device so that we can make an educated decision before we jump into buying it and come away disappointed. This doesn't really affect those among you that have already decided that this is what you want.
I'm not buying one as it doesn't quite do what I need.

I was just saying that there's a difference between brainstorming and people expecting too much. This new wave of Tablets aren't meant to be full Tablet PCs, so expecting that is kind of silly when one could just go buy a Tablet PC.

These things aren't going to have attached keyboards, probably not full OSX or Windows 7, etc. as they're not meant to be full PCs.

Now there are plenty of drawbacks to be discussed like the lack of flash, lack of built in and fully support stylus support, no multi-tasking, the closed nature of Apple devices.

I just don't see the point in complaining about lack of keyboard and other Tablet PC features in a category of devices that are not meant to be a Tablet PC, but rather to be something between a phone/pda and laptop/Tablet PC.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
the primarily fail of the authors article is that i'm guessing she hasn't tried it out in person. i think you're going to get different opinions from someone who's spent some time with it compared to folks who just read about it on the web.

some folks are all about tech and features. she is one of those people. thus, i don't think she really "gets it". its ok. there are lots of folks out there that don't get it. its also not quite right for everyone.

personally, i definitely plan on getting one. it seems to be the perfect device in between my iPhone and laptop. when i'm at home or at homes of friends and family, i use my laptop and iPhone a lot. the iPad has the capability to replace both of them for most tasks in those situations. as a result, i may be selling my laptop and seeing if i can get by with just the iPad along with my desktop. my guess is it'll work out quite well.

when i think of all of the things i do on my laptop, the percentage of things that i do that the iPad couldn't do is so so small. probably 1-5% of the time.

but based on her comments, the auther CLEARLY was hoping for a cheap mac netbook running OSX. ewww... she obviously just doesn't get it...

Last edited by kilron; 02-05-2010 at 12:56 PM.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #27
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Quote:
I don't own any iDevice, I was hoping the iPad would be my first. However, my digital camera, camcorder, CyBook, laptop, netbook, PC, PDA, cell phone, digital picture frame, and my television all have SD card readers built-in. I can transfer media between any of these devices with ease. I have several 32GB cards with movies, pictures, eBooks, and music. I can have my entire media collection with me at all times if I wish, and read, watch movies, listen to music without any dependence on any kind of network connection. This is simply a must for any media device, especially a device that is supposed to be portable and versatile.

Last edited by CyGuy; 02-05-2010 at 05:32 PM.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilron View Post
but based on her comments, the auther CLEARLY was hoping for a cheap mac netbook running OSX. ewww... she obviously just doesn't get it...
Perhaps Apple didn't get it? Such an OSX tablet would have been a greater hit than the iPad will ever be, is my guess. Looks like they have created another Apple TV. Not a total sales disaster, but no big hit either.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #29
jackau
Connoisseur

Kindle too does not have sd card slot.
Since they don't want you to read your own DOWNLOAD books. That book deletion incident further confirms their wish to take control of their user's library.

THe same goes for Apple, they dont want user to use the device to read anything you DOWNLOAD off YOUR PC / PHone or even another MAC. It is the business model.

Sony actually is not selling books, but selling hardware like many other E-book device maker, especially the taiwan bunch. They don't care how you get ur software (books), legal or not, they just want to make money off hardware. Therefore, SD slots is natural additon as attraction.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #30
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Looks like they have created another Apple TV. Not a total sales disaster, but no big hit either.
If its another AppleTV, it will be considered a total sales disaster.
I'm not betting on it being another AppleTV.