Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #16
hakim
Connoisseur
hakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmoshakim has become one with the cosmos

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio2054 View Post
Any word on whether the Nook allows annotation of PDFs? I suspect that (like the Kindle DX) it doesn't.
Here it says there will be an option to "synchronize notes/annotations between devices". So, I guess, it does allow annotating.

Just wondering: will there be an option to turn off the lcd screen while reading books?
hakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I give them kudos just for supporting multiple and legacy devices (it is a rather odd statement about "upcoming" support for Windows Mobile, when WM runs eReader already... unless they are planning on adopting the new eReader to read ePub files or something). I just bought "Busted Flush" from their store a week ago, which is 100% more e-books than I've bought from Amazon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
Just wondering: will there be an option to turn off the lcd screen while reading books?
I understand from Paul Biba at TeleRead (who was at the conference) that the screen goes black after a time, so as not to be distracting.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-21-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Pretty slick-looking device, but as brecklundin said, it seems to have a fairly unpolished UI. The "Now Reading" button takes you back to the point where you were reading in the last book you opened, for example, but it's not clear to me that it keeps your place in all the books you're reading. And the demo just had the woman hitting the "Lend" button to lend a book. Left out was how you actually pick someone to lend to. Do you enter in an e-mail address? If you have to enter text to do it, how is that accomplished? The touchscreen display seems to be simply for viewing your collection, rather than as a place for a virtual keyboard.

That brings me to another thing: It might look slick to have book covers in your navigation, but how well is that going to work on a large collection?

I'd be interested to see a head-to-head matchup between the Nook, the Kindle, and the Sony Reader.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
The touchscreen display seems to be simply for viewing your collection, rather than as a place for a virtual keyboard.
It has a virtual keyboard see the last photo at Engadget for example.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It has a virtual keyboard see the last photo at Engadget for example.
Thanks. Is that some special mode the keyboard is in? It seems as if there are grayed-out keys.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #21
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
That brings me to another thing: It might look slick to have book covers in your navigation, but how well is that going to work on a large collection?
This is something I've been wondering about too. I noticed on one of the screen shots of the Nook that there is a "My Library" icon, so this implies there is a different means to navigate to books besides the scroll of covers in the LCD screen. The Nook also support a 16GB SD card which means I could load 15,000+ books onto the Nook.

My big question: Does the Nook support folders, tags, or some other mechanism to navigate through a huge collection of ebooks?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #22
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
So one more proprietary DRM system to contend with. Ugh! I now have DRM'd books in several different formats for each of which I need a different device or piece of software. How long will it be till there's one common standard to which all publishers (or friendly hackers) will provide conversion software?
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 AM   #23
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Ugh. Will we ever see a format that we can buy anywhere and use on any dedicated reading device?
Which current devices, apart from the Kindle, can't handle non-DRM'ed epub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
The earlier article indicated that the LCD screen would power down during ordinary reading, while the touch functions would remain active. Which sounds like a good way of doing it, and ofc the touchscreen is small so the power drain won't be huge...

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 10-21-2009 at 11:31 AM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
So one more proprietary DRM system to contend with. Ugh! I now have DRM'd books in several different formats for each of which I need a different device or piece of software. How long will it be till there's one common standard to which all publishers (or friendly hackers) will provide conversion software?
At least they have seen some sense and are also going to support adobe drm too, which wasn't the case when the device was first mentioned.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #25
SpinozaQ
SpinozaQ began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
They intend to make the nook available for sale through 700 Barnes and Noble outlets and 600 college bookstores in lagte November, at a retail price of $259. This counters the rumor that Barnes and Noble would offer the device through Best Buy.
Apparently every one is confused on this one.... The device being offered through Best Buy will be Irex's DR800 http://www.irexreader.com/ Which looks like a re-made Iliad. It has an 8" screen and a wacom tablet. Irex has apparently signed on with B&N to offer their e-book library through the device, and they've paired with Verizon for anywhere internet access. The press release was covered on crunchgear, and other sites.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/23...-800sg-launch/

I'm kind of sad that barns and noble went off and created their own device to sell in store. I think they should have done a shared branding with iRex and sold the DR800 in store. Maybe the DR800 will support lending and store features like the Nook though...

In addition to those two readers, Plastic Logic is supposed to sell the "Que" early next year. AT&T wireless, B&N book store.

So in conclusion... There will be _THREE_ e-ink readers released and running B&N's store within the span of 6 months!!
SpinozaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinozaQ View Post

So in conclusion... There will be _THREE_ e-ink readers released and running B&N's store within the span of 6 months!!
Maybe more, if Jinke can get the license to include this format. They are working on it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:10 PM   #27
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Well, good to see a little clarification on the lending thing. Hopefully their competitors will follow suit. To me, even though it will be only allowed at the discretion of the publisher, this is the best innovation of the Nook.

I'm also wondering if B&N is going to add text-to-speech. I noticed by the way that in their "comparison to Kindle," they neglected to mention how the Kindle has TTS, Nook does not.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I'm also wondering if B&N is going to add text-to-speech.
From B&N on Nook: Android SDK possible—plus other goodies from news conf with B&N online-biz prez at teleread:
Quote:
–Lack of text to speech: “We don’t think the technology works well today.”
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #29
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Which current devices, apart from the Kindle, can't handle non-DRM'ed epub?
The devices can all handle non-DRM'd epub, but the stores don't all sell non-DRM'd epub. I want to be able to shop at B&N, Amazon and the Sony store. Right now I can't do that. I'm stuck with the Sony store or places like Books on Board (which always seem to have higher prices).
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I was interested in the specs; here's what I found:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/techspecs/

In the box:
* nook
* Micro-USB 2.0 cable
* Quick Start Guide
* AC adapter
* Rechargeable battery (installed)

Size:
Height: 7.7 inches
Width: 4.9 inches
Depth: 0.5 inches
Weight: 11.2 ounces (317 grams)

Wireless:
# Free wireless from Barnes & Noble via AT&T, the nation's fastest 3G network. *
# Wi-Fi ( 802.11 b/g).

Player:
* MP3 player
* Built-in mono speaker
* Universal 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack

Storage:
* 2GB (approximately 1500 eBooks)
* Expandable microSD slot (buy an extra 16 GB memory card and store up to 17,500).

Battrery:
* Installed Rechargable battery.
* Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter.
* Charging time: 3.5 hours from wall outlet.
* Upto 10 days battery life, wifi and 3G off (compare 14 days for Sony PRS-505)

Supported filetypes:
* EPUB and eReader Formats
* PDFs load easily and look great.
* PDFs, MP3s and graphics load to your nook from your computer or micro SD card.

Screen types:
* 3.5 inch color touchscreen LCD as input area
* 6 inch visplex e-ink screen as reading area

Colors:
* 16 grey types (compared to 8 for the Sony PRS-505,and 4 for the kindle 1)

#Barnes and nobles 500.000 free ebooks (Gutenberg?)

#Android OS

#Replaceable Li-Polymer battery

Accesoires:
#Leather pouches (2 types)
#Plastic cases
#$15External battery powered LED Light (powered by 2 x CR2032 Batteries, Provides 20 hours of light)
#$30 rechargeable battery
#$15 Matte screen filter kit (I would not recommend buying this)
#$15 AC adaptor kit, & USB cable
#$?? lightweight ?Poly Propylene? pouch (to be announced)
#Micro SD cards ranging from 2 to 16 GB.

Seeing all on one page is much better.

What I find is lacking is open file support like:
.doc
.html
Compressed HTML
.TXT!!!
.Gif
.BMP
.tiff
.ogg
.wma

(some filetypes are more necessary than others)

Last edited by ProDigit; 10-21-2009 at 01:23 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote