Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Too much fire in your belly! Happened to me only 3 times since I have the device.
I've seen something like that, but only about once every couple of hundred pages. When it does it to me, it turns 2 pages, not the 5 that a "long" press would do. I've just chalked it up to user error and maybe I didn't hit the flip bar right. IE, maybe I didn't push it solidly enough and it wiggled back and forth over whatever threshold of movement registers a press. Sometimes I'll press it and it won't turn at all, which I figure it also probably user error.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I've seen something like that, but only about once every couple of hundred pages. When it does it to me, it turns 2 pages, not the 5 that a "long" press would do. I've just chalked it up to user error and maybe I didn't hit the flip bar right. IE, maybe I didn't push it solidly enough and it wiggled back and forth over whatever threshold of movement registers a press. Sometimes I'll press it and it won't turn at all, which I figure it also probably user error.
It's not user error. I've noticed "no turn" happens more if you have let it idle for a while. There's definitely something weird, but I kind of suspect the hardware behind the flipbar itself is flakey. That's why I haven't bothered to bring it up to them- I doubt they could do anything about it short of giving me a newly designed device without this flaw.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #18
jm35
jm35 began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
x.) The flip bar kind of stinks. I like it in theory, but in practice, it turns more than one page about 20% of the time. ...
That's how mine acts, too. It jumps ahead 5 pages occasionally, even when I didn't intend to make a long-press.

Also, pressing my flip bar to the left is much less reliable than to the right. The top section of the flip bar won't register a left-press at all. It has a sweet spot just below the middle of the bar that works best for a left-press. The entire bar works much easier pressing to the right.
jm35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm35 View Post
That's how mine acts, too. It jumps ahead 5 pages occasionally, even when I didn't intend to make a long-press.

Also, pressing my flip bar to the left is much less reliable than to the right. The top section of the flip bar won't register a left-press at all. It has a sweet spot just below the middle of the bar that works best for a left-press. The entire bar works much easier pressing to the right.
I set mine up so that page turns are a left press, which probably explains some of the issues I had. I prefer it that way, so don't mind the occasional "issue" with it.

It sounds like the "5 page jump" is a different problem. Some iLiads were susceptible to that as well, where the flip bar would occasionally register as a long press even when you didn't do one. It didn't happen on all iLiads, just some of them. They put out a patch eventually that would disable the long page jump for people that had this problem. Maybe something similar is happening with a few DR800?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Maybe something similar is happening with a few DR800?
Hm, not on mine. When I get an extra jump from the flipbar it's usually two pages. I've become extra careful and just give the bar a minimal quick nudge, but I still have it happen about once per thirty pages. Often enough that I glance down at the page number after going to a new page to make sure it's right.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #21
Franky
Nameless Being

mine is fine to, but after installing the beta version, he is getting slower and slower. it went that far, that i took of the beta version again. now its working fine again..
Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
I'm only irked by three things with the DR800, really--the wacom pen calibration, which seems *much* worse than on the iLiad; the fact that there's no way to just click "enter" without using the pen (long press on the menu button, perhaps? please?); the lack of a full-screen (no status bar) mode. The latter two, at least, I can hope will be fixed in software--is the pen calibration a hardware issue? Near the edges, especially, it's near-unusable (as far as writing goes, anyway).
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #23
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Please fix stylus pen calibration problem at final 2.0!! Always it's not accurate seriously so I can hardly do scribble or note with it.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by X. Trapnel View Post
I'm only irked by three things with the DR800, really--the wacom pen calibration, which seems *much* worse than on the iLiad; the fact that there's no way to just click "enter" without using the pen (long press on the menu button, perhaps? please?); the lack of a full-screen (no status bar) mode. The latter two, at least, I can hope will be fixed in software--is the pen calibration a hardware issue? Near the edges, especially, it's near-unusable (as far as writing goes, anyway).
X. Trapnel: I am a bit confused by your note that you can't "just click 'enter' without using the pen." A press on the flip bar is "enter." For example, you can press the small "Home" button, use the flip bar to navigate the menu and then press the flip bar to select. Is yours not doing that?

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm35 View Post
You are not alone. My DR800SG has almost exactly the same problem. While the right-press works just fine anywhere on the bar I first thought left-press was entirely broken. Like you wrote the sweet spot is just below the middle of the bar. But I still have to press very hard to make the press register.

Irex Support recommended to re-seat the flip-bar by removing and reinserting it again. It can be pulled out quite easily with your fingernails. This did not help, however. Support then told me to contact Best Buy to have the unit exchanged.
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #26
X. Trapnel
Enthusiast
X. Trapnel began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad (broken screen! cry), x61t tablet
<-- stupid me.

Wow, I'm stupid. This is what happens from not reading manuals. *headdesk* Thanks for telling me this!

I still want a full-screen mode without status bar, though. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post
X. Trapnel: I am a bit confused by your note that you can't "just click 'enter' without using the pen." A press on the flip bar is "enter." For example, you can press the small "Home" button, use the flip bar to navigate the menu and then press the flip bar to select. Is yours not doing that?

Marilyn
X. Trapnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #27
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Wow, I'm stupid. This is what happens from not reading manuals. *headdesk* Thanks for telling me this!
Don't be hard on yourself. Apparently it's not intuitive. I recall one (professional?) reviewer who bashed the DR800 because it didn't have a "Home" button like the Kindle. Obviously missing the fact that a mere two button presses navigates to Home: press the menu button then the flipbar. Is that really so tremendously more difficult than the Kindle?

Quote:
I still want a full-screen mode without status bar, though. =)
Me too. A toggle on/off for the status bar would be excellent.
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #28
Haqqax
Haqqax began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
Well, for me THE BIGGEST disadvantage is lack of djvu support.

I used to have BeBook before, and was reading on it constantly. My user experience was great until the screen broke. I mean it - I was very, very, very happy user.

I thought that iRex was better.

But with iRex, although I keep the device handy in my bag (for the time being), I am reading less and less on it. The most interesting books are unreadable, or will weigh 50 - 80 MB after conversion to PDF (and will not fit all on the memory card). I do try to read some historical books in epub format, but this is boring. This reader was supposed to be my study tool, and it became a useless expensive piece of junk in my bag. Last week I did not read anything on it. I find myself again carying paper books or printing lessons to take them with me.

I am sooo much disappointed just because of lack of support for this format, the more so that I know that adding support for it with dvjulibre would be easy.

Evince is unusable because of screen clutter, luite's plugin is not available for DR800, and iRex does not seem to plan adding support for djvu.

I simply made a stupid buying decision and regret it very much. What use is a big screen if it can not display my books?
Haqqax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #29
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haqqax View Post
luite's plugin is not available for DR800
From what I've seen (admittedly haven't followed it very closely), luite is just waiting for the final 2.0 firmware release before updating his dejavu plugin. It should be fairly simple at that point to get it working on the DR800 too, since both have the same firmware base starting with the 2.0 release.