Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
As long as tablets will have backlit screens they won't be suited for serious reading.

I use my Xoom these days more than my Sony 505. So clearly this is not true for me.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Whaaa? Hmmm??? Are you addressing to someone?
No, I just re-read my post and thought it might appear to throw rocks at tablet lovers, which it isn't intended to do. I've looked at them and just don't think they're something many people would be happy with once the 'new' wore off. I certainly think they would be superior to 'smart phones' with their larger screens for mobile 'net access, but not for reading text which is what this forum is all about. I'm retired, so I have no use of such portable mobile devices, which colors my thinking. When I'm on the road, I like my 15" laptop for viewing full sized web pages, but laptops are lousy for reading because they are heavier, they get warm and can't get far from an outlet for very long, certainly not for days at a time.

My point, if I was able to make it at all, is that tablets will not replace dedicated eReaders for my use, nor can eReaders suitably replace tablets or better devices for 'net surfing. I'm not sure, as the original post suggests, that they will ever 'merge' into one device, the deciding factor being the screen suitability for two distinctly different functions which are, to my eyes, nearly mutually exclusive.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
avariel
Connoisseur
avariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura aboutavariel has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-505
I am waiting for a 10" reasonably priced e-ink reader. Though now I am now leaning towards wanting an eink/lcd hybrid. LCD screens just do not work well for reading. Supposedly Pixel Qi is very nice, but so far there really hasn't been anything I want to come out of it.

As for this announcement. I am not exactly going to be hyped. Whenever a company uses the word 'cheap' it usually means cheaply made. Where are they going to cut corners when they don't cut out things like a camera that have no value to me? Cheap probably means it won't have an IPS screen or Gorilla Glass.

An IPS screen is the only way to make an LCD screen halfway decent and Gorilla Glass is an absolute must for me as transporting it around can easily damage it so the more protection the better, even if it adds weight.

Last edited by avariel; 10-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.
avariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
This is interesting. I didn't expect this kind of harsh reaction. I sorta expected a ho-hum type attitude or "yeah, that's ok" or "yeah, I use a Nook Color" and LCD is ok.

I guess I have never compared a I-Pad with IPS and a Nook Color for any period of reading.

Other than seeing the Nooks in the store I have no real experience. I have looked at the tiny 3.5" Ipod-Touch screen for periods of time and of course phones.

How does the Nook Color and the Ipad compare for reading?
And the other LCD like the Jet Book?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #20
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
This is interesting. I didn't expect this kind of harsh reaction. I sorta expected a ho-hum type attitude or "yeah, that's ok" or "yeah, I use a Nook Color" and LCD is ok.

I guess I have never compared a I-Pad with IPS and a Nook Color for any period of reading.

Other than seeing the Nooks in the store I have no real experience. I have looked at the tiny 3.5" Ipod-Touch screen for periods of time and of course phones.

How does the Nook Color and the Ipad compare for reading?
And the other LCD like the Jet Book?
I find theco nk better than the ipad. Compared to e ink readers it is better in low light. Outdoors or in very bright light eink is better. It really comes down to do you want the additional features enough to pay for them. I like to compare them to cars, if you need a work vehicle(pc), sports car(ipad), midsize(c nk), compact(ereader). We don't expect them to all perform the same.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #21
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
No... I read for relaxation using an e-ink reader that I can easily hold in my hand... I use my tablet for tech pdfs, magazines but only comics for relaxation as, although less comfortable to relax with, comics work better that way but the eReader is a 6" device and the tablet is a 10" device... if they converge then I end up with a device that is sized wrongly for one of the things I want and probably too big to slip in a pocket for portable reading...
Same with me. I resisted buying a tablet for some time. However now I have one, the constant moving to a notebook or desktop whilst at my hobby desk has gone away.

Quote:
I'm not alone in not wanting one device to do multiple jobs as other threads have commented many times... some of us prefer dedicated devices that do one job well rather than many poorly or just OK...
Agreed. I am not interested in reading ebooks for an extended period of time on a backlit LCD screened tablet, smartphone or PDA where I can be distracted (read: annoyed) by email, SMS and games. Not to mention bad eyestrain

Last edited by sabredog; 10-02-2011 at 09:31 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:15 PM   #22
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinhi/ View Post
I find theco nk better than the ipad. Compared to e ink readers it is better in low light. Outdoors or in very bright light eink is better. It really comes down to do you want the additional features enough to pay for them. I like to compare them to cars, if you need a work vehicle(pc), sports car(ipad), midsize(c nk), compact(ereader). We don't expect them to all perform the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Same with me. I resisted buying a table for some time. However now I have one, the constant moving to a notebook or desktop whilst at my hobby desk has gone away.

Agreed. I am not interested in reading eBooks for an extended period of time on a back lit LCD screened tablet, smartphone or PDA where I can be distracted (read: annoyed) by email, SMS and games.
I have said this elsewhere but it bears repeating.
I have used Sony Trinitron CRT monitors at work and at home for years primarily for AutoCad. They are not made now, but you can get refurbished and used ones. Anyway for reading on a computer for long times, they can't be beat in my opinion. I never get a headache. There is no distortion at all. If you adjust your room light properly (just at an angle) there is no reflection on the protective glass, there is no flicker. I like best to use the format .LIT and the MS Reader, but Adobe and its EPUB reader are fine, Foxit Reader for PDFs, and the regular readers for TXT, and DOC.

CRT monitors are out these days because of weight, bulk, and cost, but the best like the Sony Trinitron are great performers.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #23
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I have said this elsewhere but it bears repeating.
I have used Sony Trinitron CRT monitors at work and at home for years primarily for AutoCad. They are not made now, but you can get refurbished and used ones. Anyway for reading on a computer for long times, they can't be beat in my opinion. I never get a headache. There is no distortion at all. If you adjust your room light properly (just at an angle) there is no reflection on the protective glass, there is no flicker. I like best to use the format .LIT and the MS Reader, but Adobe and its EPUB reader are fine, Foxit Reader for PDFs, and the regular readers for TXT, and DOC.

CRT monitors are out these days because of weight, bulk, and cost, but the best like the Sony Trinitron are great performers.
This misses the primary point for most readers... it isn't that they can't read on a computer, it's that we don't want to... when I'm working, looking things up in reference works etc then no problem but reading for pleasure (as in fiction primarily) means I don't want to sit in front of a computer screen (and I liked Sony Trinitrons as well) but relax in a comfy chair with my feet up or curled up in bed... an e-ink reader is ideal for this and I find a Trinitron is just too damned heavy on my lap and makes the bed sag very uncomfortably...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...and I find a Trinitron is just too damned heavy on my lap and makes the bed sag very uncomfortably...
I have this picture of trying to get on a crowded train at peak hour whilst dragging a gi-normous M-edge Sony Trinitron Latitude cover. How long would you need to charge the inbuilt lithium-ion battery each morning?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #25
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

the other two great things about CRTs:
1) For CAD workstations, I know many designers preferred the 4:3 format, which isn't too easy to find in LCDs, but was standard for CRTs. (I know both existed at some point for both)
2) Multisync! That was the biggest issue to get over for me moving from CRT to LCD. I loved having multiple "native" resolutions.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #26
sabredog

I use twin 22" LCD monitors for Civil3D/AutoCAD work now. Big improvement from twin 21" CRT's.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #27
frahse
occasional author

O.K. O.K. I see your point. Let me explain mine.

Yes you are right about portability of course. Heck I am sitting at my computer desk/table, actually a small movable desk about keyboard height, and the monitor raised. It is small and can be moved easily so I can get behind it and around it. But anyway, I found that the specs for the table pretty well precluded just setting my Trinitron on top of the raised monitor holder because of weight, so I just shoved a bunch of books under into the space under the monitor until it was completely supported. Since I didn't want to put anything I needed, I put some old Schaums and house remodeling books and one very old graphics book.
But this is where I work at home, and if I decide to break work, I go on the internet like now, or I might read a book ALL ON THIS SAME MONITOR. I have packed away over there in a big old Dell Tower (rebuilt) two big drives with a zillion songs, movies, books, and pictures. Then the overflow goes into various external drives both firewire and usb2. I actually have one new TB USB3.0 external but no USB3.0 drive to feed it.

To tell you the truth, I am as much at ease in my $20 Walmart Desk Chair with a small notched cushion as I am in the Den watching the TV though occasionally my bottom gets tired and I get up and get a coke or something.
In fact my bottom used to not get tired, but then I busted it down in the basement in a pool of water from a dehumidifier, and that is why the small special notched cushion. But it is nearly well now.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 PM   #28
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I can see a day when we will have colour e-ink screen (or similar) so vivid and fast that they will replace the current LCD screens in tablets. When this happens the tablet and the ereader will really merge into one device.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #29
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
I can see a day when we will have colour e-ink screen (or similar) so vivid and fast that they will replace the current LCD screens in tablets. When this happens the tablet and the ereader will really merge into one device.
And a back light that you can cut on when you need to. (... no sarcasm at all intended there.)

Then we will all break into that song"

"Oh happy day, ..."
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #30
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
I was watching a BBC show called "click" many many months ago that showed a colour e-ink (kind off) screen that you could turn backlight on and off when needed :-)

it was still buggy but they are working on it, they said it was being aimed at laptops
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote