Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2020, 01:43 PM   #16
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Fans of multicast may wish to explore BBC radio plays. Some abridged books get dramatised .

BBC iPlayer, if in UK, otherwise VPN or smart DNS proxy workarounds may be needed.

Get_iplayer freeware enables archiving. I am fine with that, I pay my compulsory licence fee so I figure that entitles me to keep stuff, just as if I'd recorded it from a radio station
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You buy an audiobook from Audible that's not labled as exclusive or you buy The Sandman that is labeeld as exclusive. There is no difference at all.
Audible has very restrictive DRM which stops me listening on the devices that suit me. E.g our Car entertainment system. Or my old portable mp3 player

Compare that to my local library ,funded from my taxes, that will lend me an MP3 copy which works everywhere. But they will not be able to buy sandman to lend to me as Amazon have it monopolised

Or to bygonne days where I could buy an audiobook on CD or cassette tape, which agin worked everwhere. No DRM. And I could resell it, just like a paper book, if I chose to.

If I am expected to Buy it than hack it myself, well sorry, but no. That's a no sale. I will go find an already hacked alternaive

Ps off topic Rant
I lost all respect for Gaiman when he flew from New Zealand to Skye via Los Angeles last week. Breaking several lockdowns Another rich *bleep* who thinks stay at home ethics are only for other people.
If he now infects half of Skye, then a simple sorry will not cut it. Mr Plod has already visited him to explain Scottish law. So if sandman gets widely stolen and given away for free, then he "pulled it in" ( a Scientology phrase he will know well , as an ex staff member cultie ). End Rant
https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=gaiman+skye

Last edited by stumped; 05-20-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Advert
Old 05-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Audible's exclusive multicast version of Dracula is terrific. The book's structure makes it perfect for multiple readers.
Does the audiobook actually work? I found the book to be dull.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Does the audiobook actually work? I found the book to be dull.
Can't possibly be as bad as the 2020 BBC TV re-imagining

That's 3 hours of my life wasted
Old 05-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Audible has very restrictive DRM which stops me listening on the devices that suit me. E.g our Car entertainment system. Or my old portable mp3 player
No aux jack or bluetooth?
Advert
Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Can't possibly be as bad as the 2020 BBC TV re-imagining

That's 3 hours of my life wasted
I like the BBC version better then the book. Inthe BBC version, I liked Van Helsing.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:58 AM   #22
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
I like the BBC version better then the book. Inthe BBC version, I liked Van Helsing.
Well ,it's subjective. I can give them credit for attempting an original twist, but I skipped through most of the 3rd hour, the bit that was set in present times.

And I see the multicast book is 15+ hours. That's a big ask if you already know how it ends.

Personally, and heretically, I think several classics could benefit from an abridged dramatisation. Keep the plot and the dialogue, lose a few hundred pages of descriptions..

Ps I did like the bbc 2019 thre hour take on the war of the worlds. Much more than the 8 part 2020 fox/canal plus joint venture
Old 05-21-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
stumped
Wizard

Ps. More Dracula trivia. When I was about 13, I somehow got into the cinema to see a version of Dracula with a friend. That would be a 50s or 60s movie. So we were walking home afterwards down a dark street where there also happened to be an abbatoir. Saying " not scary at all really" and then a doomed cow let loose with a loud m o o o... And we ran for our lives

A couple of years later, one Halloween ,we were playing at I am not scared of graveyards, fooling about in a big dark overgrown graveyard behind a church . Then a big guy in a black cloak suddenly appeared..

.it was actually the vicar, came to throw us out, but we were a tad spooked
Old 06-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #24
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Ps. More Dracula trivia. When I was about 13, I somehow got into the cinema to see a version of Dracula with a friend. That would be a 50s or 60s movie. So we were walking home afterwards down a dark street where there also happened to be an abbatoir. Saying " not scary at all really" and then a doomed cow let loose with a loud m o o o... And we ran for our lives

A couple of years later, one Halloween ,we were playing at I am not scared of graveyards, fooling about in a big dark overgrown graveyard behind a church . Then a big guy in a black cloak suddenly appeared..

.it was actually the vicar, came to throw us out, but we were a tad spooked
Sounds like one of those memories that become priceless! Ah, youth...
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #25
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt this holds much interest, but when I was a member of Audible and got their freebie of the month, I picked up the middle grade production of Camp Red Moon by R.L. Stine - it turned out to be an anthology of four stories, with Stine's being the first. He did a fun introduction and exit to the book. The music was fun. The actors for the multi-cast of all four stories did an excellent job and made the experience a delight for all ages. If you have kids, you may want to check it out for some fun, spooky stories especially. Probably my favorite of the Audible Originals so far. The link on Amazon for more details - https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Red-Moon.../dp/B07WHZT19M
Old 06-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #26
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:

Compare that to my local library ,funded from my taxes, that will lend me an MP3 copy which works everywhere. But they will not be able to buy sandman to lend to me as Amazon have it monopolised
]
I agree with this rant. I get from a business perspective it's nice to have exclusive content, but I hope people don't continue to do Audible-exclusive books only. I have this issue with Robert McCammon's Matthew Corbitt series - have the first two books with Audible credits but they're only available on Audible. I'm no longer an Audible member. They're signing up some big authors to do exclusives.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:23 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I agree with this rant. I get from a business perspective it's nice to have exclusive content, but I hope people don't continue to do Audible-exclusive books only. I have this issue with Robert McCammon's Matthew Corbitt series - have the first two books with Audible credits but they're only available on Audible. I'm no longer an Audible member. They're signing up some big authors to do exclusives.
Having exclusive content is a good way to get customers. You may not like it, but it's a part of business these days.

Would you go to Amazon Prime Video and expect all the Netflix exclusive content to be there on Prime? Would you go to Netflix and expect to find all of the Amazon Prime Video exclusive content on Netflix?

There there are other streaming services that have their own exclusive content. Should all of the exclusive content be shared with all other streaming services?
Old 06-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:

Personally, and heretically, I think several classics could benefit from an abridged dramatisation. Keep the plot and the dialogue, lose a few hundred pages of descriptions..
I'm not usually one for abridging, but you're right on the classics of this type. I remember reading Dracula and loving the beginning with some genuinely chilling moments, but then the story suddenly started to drag with a ridiculous amount of Victorian, melodramatic, wordy, flowery, repetitive dialogue for chapter after chapter in the middle
Old 06-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Having exclusive content is a good way to get customers. You may not like it, but it's a part of business these days.

Would you go to Amazon Prime Video and expect all the Netflix exclusive content to be there on Prime? Would you go to Netflix and expect to find all of the Amazon Prime Video exclusive content on Netflix?

There there are other streaming services that have their own exclusive content. Should all of the exclusive content be shared with all other streaming services?
No, you're right from a business perspective, but it bites from the customer side if I'm not a member. With video streaming, I can join for a few months at a time and binge watch exclusive shows, so that's not a big deal to me --- but with places like Audible, it's one credit per month, so if the list of exclusive I-want audio is long, I can't become a short time member and get them. Smart business reasoning, but frustrates me since I hate being denied
Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
No, you're right from a business perspective, but it bites from the customer side if I'm not a member. With video streaming, I can join for a few months at a time and binge watch exclusive shows, so that's not a big deal to me --- but with places like Audible, it's one credit per month, so if the list of exclusive I-want audio is long, I can't become a short time member and get them. Smart business reasoning, but frustrates me since I hate being denied
This might be a shocking idea for some, but you might actually like, you know, buy them. That's pretty much what I do. I have an old grandfathered in Audible account that I've had for the last 15 years, $10 a year with no credits. I get the membership price for books and that's about it. No stressing over how many credits do I have and anything like that. Of course, they don't have this particular membership any more, but you still get the membership discount when you buy an audiobook. I've been buying audiobooks for years and I haven't been struck by lightning yet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote