Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Third Dr. Izard.
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Second The Nine Taylors by Dorothy Sayers and add a Kindle link.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #18
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
No, he didn't. I decided to try something different this month and just make stuff up.

Seriously, I screwed up and forgot to make the second post (the one that contains the nominations), so I deleted John's post and asked him to repost, which he was kind enough to do.

And now that Solomon Kane's had a second, a third, and finally a nomination; on with the show!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
We have a bookclub first!
It's the first time a book has been seconded and thirded before it was even nominated ... I'm sure Tom will ensure it's the last time as well!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
It's the first time a book has been seconded and thirded before it was even nominated ... I'm sure Tom will ensure it's the last time as well!
That I will, absolutely. Consider it done.

And since promises are so inexpensive, is there anything else I could guarantee for anyone while I'm at it?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll third The Nine Tailors.

Quote:
...And since promises are so inexpensive, is there anything else I could guarantee for anyone while I'm at it?
If you're handing out promises, I'll take a rose garden.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

One each rose garden for sun surfer. Check your mailbox!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Woohoo! I could get used to this!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #23
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I digged deeply and nominate three uploads from the early days of the PCML, two biographies

- Bryant, Walter: Kepler
A 1920 biography of the astronomer Johannes Kepler.
prc-version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31058

- Brewster, David: THE MARTYRS OF SCIENCE
Biographies of Galileo, Brahe and Kepler.
prc-version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26195

and a mystery

- Edward, Sir Sir Ralph Sir: The Case of the Golden Coprolite.
A mystery by our own Sir Sir Ralph Sir Edward, issued first in serial form in the Lounge, and now in a single volume for your delectation.
prc-version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34198
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
That I will, absolutely. Consider it done.

And since promises are so inexpensive, is there anything else I could guarantee for anyone while I'm at it?
A million bucks tax free would be nice.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I nominate two books:

-Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

From Goodreads:

Shipwrecked castaway Lemuel Gulliver’s encounters with the petty, diminutive Lilliputians, the crude giants of Brobdingnag, the abstracted scientists of Laputa, the philosophical Houyhnhnms, and the brutish Yahoos give him new, bitter insights into human behavior. Swift’s fantastic and subversive book remains supremely relevant in our own age of distortion, hypocrisy, and irony.

There are many versions available in the PCML (I counted 15 if you search "Swift Gulliver" in the library section), including many formats and even versions in German and Romanian, so for brevity I'll only link to a few:

Illustrated epub uploaded by our own Hamlet53 (this version also available in imp)
Kindle version uploaded by Madame Broshkina (this version also available in imp and bbeb/lrf)
PDF uploaded by Jellby (this version also available in epub)
German epub uploaded by netseeker (this version also available in kindle and bbeb/lrf)

-Le Morte Darthur by Thomas Malory

From Goodreads:

An immortal story of love, adventure, chivalry, treachery and death. Edited and first published by William Caxton in 1485, Le Morte D'Arthur is Sir Thomas Malory's unique and splendid version of the Arthurian legend. Mordred's treason, the knightly exploits of Tristan, Lancelot's fatally divided loyalties and his love for Guenever, the quest for the Holy Grail; all the elements are there woven into a wonderful completeness by the magic of his prose style.

The result is not only one of the most readable accounts of the knights of the Round Table but also one of the most moving. As the story advances towards the inevitable tragedy of Arthur's death the effect is cumulative, rising with an impending sense of doom and tragedy towards its shattering finale.

Some links to PCML versions:

epub uploaded by weatherwax
Kindle version uploaded by our own BenG
Old 09-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Second Gulliver's Travels
BelleZora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #27
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I'll second with my 'last chance' The Case of the Golden Coprolite

Last edited by desertblues; 09-20-2013 at 03:07 PM. Reason: counting......
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll nominate Anne of Green Gables a novel by Lucy Montgomery. It was actually written to be enjoyed by all ages but is usually regarded as a Young Adult classic. It's right here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24988

but is available in many formats and is in Project Gutenberg.

Here's a little review from an Amazon reader:

"This is a gentle coming-of-age story set in late-Victorian Canada. Anne is an orphan adopted by a middle aged brother and sister, who originally intend to offer a home to a boy who can work on the farm. Anne is a fiercely imaginative and impulsive child and the story follows her life from age ten to sixteen, as she involves her friends in all manner of exploits. The countryside is an integral part of the narrative and is affectionately described. The story is warm-hearted, but pulls back from being sweetly sentimental."
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #29
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
I'll third Gulliver's Travels and second Anne of Greengables. I read them both years ago and would love to revisit them as an adult.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
A million bucks tax free would be nice.
It's as good as yours!