Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I don't.
I totally agree.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I just found this. I'm going to show my support by finding a book that has been banned and read it.

http://www.bannedbooksweek.org/info.html
Thank you for that info. That site is rather scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So you think it's "horrible" that "Mein Kampf" is banned in Germany, Sweetpea? I think personally that there are situations (such as this one) where it is entirely justifyable.
You could also argue that Mein Kampf should be required reading in German schools. Well, I don't really think that would be very useful, but banning books is still wrong and, IMO, counterproductive. Do you really think that would-be nazis have any difficulty procuring this book? I think not. I think, on the contrary, that being banned gives it added meaning and value for them.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But, if I read that wikipage dreams posted, most banned books are banned because they apparently tell some truth a government doesn't want to hear (or want its populace to hear). A book that really tries to set up people against each other is different, naturally...
Yes, that's very much my view, too, which is why I think it's unwise to make a blanket statement that "banning books is always bad". I think myself that to prohibit the publication of books which openly advocate "hate crimes" is entirely justifyable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So you think it's "horrible" that "Mein Kampf" is banned in Germany, Sweetpea? I think personally that there are situations (such as this one) where it is entirely justifyable.
I think they have gotten many unintended problems and consequences because of this banning. So on the whole I think it is a bad thing. I think that the issue of Skeptic that was about holocaust deniers discussed this issue.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
I'll be re-reading Edna O'Brien's The Country Girls.

This was the first part of a trilogy of novels (later collected as The Country Girls Trilogy) which also included The Lonely Girl (1962) and Girls in Their Married Bliss (1964). Shortly after their publication, these books were banned in Ireland due to their frank portrayals of the sex lives of their characters.

I loved these when I came across them first while living in Ireland.
Ánd they were not only banned because of the above mentioned, but also because of their criticism of the Catholic Church.
Well worth a read
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
They all missed my favorite banned book - James Branch Cabell's Jurgen.

It was banned in New York for obscenity and taken to trial (banned 1920, trial 1922, found not guilty, ban lifted)...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #22
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the idea is to draw attention on books that are threatened with banishment NOW in the U.S. Which is why it's scary. Not that this danger doesn't exist in other countries, but that's the focus of this website.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
We also have such a list available on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/6
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #24
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I think I'll read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. I bought it a few weeks ago and I just saw it pop up on a wikipedia search. It was banned in Ireland.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #25
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

I'll repeat myself because I do believe this is important: from what the website says, this event is NOT a celebration of how open-minded and liberal we are now by listing books that have been banned in the past. It's a warning that banning books is something that can happen now in our democratic countries. I think we all need that kind of reminder once in a while.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #26
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Here is another fun link about banned books.

http://classiclit.about.com/od/banne...Censorship.htm

I'm still trying to get over the fact that I have already read most of the books starting from a young age. I had no idea that my teachers and parents were corrupting my mind or that I had such questionable taste in books. (We even read Uncle Tom's Cabin... oh, my)

The below is from..http://classiclit.about.com/od/banne...edbooks.01.htm

A Light in the Attic was one of my favorite books as a child. Suggestive pictures eh? I should dig it out (yes I still have my old copy, the Silverstein came to our school and I got an autographed copy) and see what those suggestive pictures were.

Maybe I should come up with a list of books that I have read in the past that were the banned books list.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
"glorified Satan, suicide and cannibalism, and also encouraged children to be disobedient."
Hum, open to some (mis)interpretation IMO. Were the children being encouraged to be disobedient about the glorification of Satan, suicide, and cannibalism or what? Possibly the children were being encouraged to be disobedient about the glorification of God to the exclusion of critical thinking and common sense, the inordinate extension of life without the consideration of the quality of that life, and the failure to recognize the inevitable result of blind obedience to "be fruitful and multiply"?

Harry, the banning of books is a slippery slippery slope. I can not support the banning of any book for any reason, ever. Ideas are not dangerous, the actions that may arise from those ideas can be. It is no accident that the rise of the Third Reich was accompanied by the burning of books, nothing threatens insanity more than the free exchange of ideas. Banning Mien Kamph is self-defeating, an open and frank appraisal of the book and it's ideas in Germany would be far more useful IMO. Don't hide it, instead take it apart, show it's fallacies, and destroy it's power.

Last edited by NormHart; 09-23-2009 at 12:40 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #28
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
A Light in the Attic was one of my favorite books as a child. Suggestive pictures eh? I should dig it out (yes I still have my old copy, the Silverstein came to our school and I got an autographed copy) and see what those suggestive pictures were.

Maybe I should come up with a list of books that I have read in the past that were the banned books list.

Amy
LOLWUT? Seriously, Light in the Attic?

Well I know Shel Silverstein wrote commentaries for Playboy.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I can't avoid the feeling that the banning of Mein Kampf is only due to its author being who he was. Had the book been written by anyone else, it wouldn't have beeb banned anywhere. I haven't read it, though.

And of course, had he won the war, it wouldn't be banned either, but that's another matter.

This goes to say that I don't see it clear that it is good to ban it. A book should be judged (if anything) by what it says, not by who wrote it.

Last edited by Jellby; 09-23-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Harry, the banning of books is a slippery slippery slope. I can not support the banning of any book for any reason, ever.
OK, so you'd be happy to see books on sale which providing detailed instructions for making bombs, and committing acts of terrorism, or which openly encouraged hate crimes against certain segments of society?

I'm sorry, but I really cannot agree with you. Free speach has to have its limits.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote