Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have a PRS900. Some screen protectors are better than others. I wish I could recall what the last one I bought was called - but at the third try, I got a good one. The touchscreen is still responsive (no change), the glare did not completely disappear, but it's barely noticeable (where before, it got really annoying). And the screen is protected from scratches.

But it took a couple of tries. The last one, I ordered from Amazon, but I can't find the name of right now. It was the third try... it's a washable screen protector (like, it can be reapplied).
vxf,

If you bought from Amazon, you should have the ability to look up all your orders at least within a year. If you can give its name, it would be very helpful.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Yes, I know, the problem is I am out of the country and VPN to my work email account is not cutting it.

But I did dig it out:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd-PRS-900...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Now, I think a warning is needed, as this is not cheap. As I said before, it DOES NOT eliminate glare. It reduces it. It seems to 'diffuse' light on the screen, if that makes any sense. Under certain conditions, it works wonders (for example, I have a window behind my couch - I sit in front of it and I am bothered by the screen reflecting my face in the upper half; with this anti-glare, I get none of that).
On the other side, when the problem is a strong light shining straight into your reader (like reading under a desk-light, for example) the improvement is marginal.

Side benefits - it's easy to apply (no air bubbles like for cheaper screens) and even re-apply. It doesn't scratch and it adds protection. I don't see any differences in terms of screen readability or contrast. Nor do I notice anything different with the touchscreen.

But the disclaimer is necessary. It IMPROVES thinks, it REDUCES glare, it DOES NOT ELIMINATE glare.

Also, I still find that the best solution to glare is a good ebook light - that is, as long as you read somewhere without excessive ambient light. The doubleflex:

http://www.mightybright.com/Book_Lig...oductList.html

is a bit pricy, but it allows to shine indirect light from two angles, thus illuminating the entire screen without any direct light reflection. For many users, I suspect that's a better option than anti-glare screens. But for those forced to read in a particular spot (my couch is my couch, and I HAVE TO read there...) the above screen helps.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've tried many different screen protectors over the years with all the various PDAs I owned way back when, but I liked none of them. First off, I've never ever put even a tiny scratch on any PDA or reader screen. You have to be really aggressive and/or stupid to do that. So screen protectors are something you really shouldn't need as far as protecting the screen. As far glare and screen clarity, they simply don't work. We have glare and lack of contrast on our 600s and 900s because Sony put a piece of plastic in front of the e-Ink screen to provide touch capability. If you think you are going to get rid of the problems introduced by the touch screen layer of plastc by adding yet another layer of plastic, well your thinking is seriously flawed.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #19
andyotter
andyotter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300,PRS-600
Lexerd OK but not for glare

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Lexerd-PRS-900...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Now, I think a warning is needed, as this is not cheap. As I said before, it DOES NOT eliminate glare. It reduces it. It seems to 'diffuse' light on the screen, if that makes any sense. Under certain conditions, it works wonders (for example, I have a window behind my couch - I sit in front of it and I am bothered by the screen reflecting my face in the upper half; with this anti-glare, I get none of that).
On the other side, when the problem is a strong light shining straight into your reader (like reading under a desk-light, for example) the improvement is marginal.

Side benefits - it's easy to apply (no air bubbles like for cheaper screens) and even re-apply. It doesn't scratch and it adds protection. I don't see any differences in terms of screen readability or contrast. Nor do I notice anything different with the touchscreen.

But the disclaimer is necessary. It IMPROVES thinks, it REDUCES glare, it DOES NOT ELIMINATE glare.

Also, I still find that the best solution to glare is a good ebook light - that is, as long as you read somewhere without excessive ambient light.
I bought the Lexerd and can agree it applies well but doesn't solve glare/reflection problems. Illuminating the screen from the correct angle is the best solution IMO. I don't have the booklight cover so use a little LED clipped onto the Proporta cover - screen still nowhere near as nice as the PRS-300 tho'!
andyotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Nothing Like the Sun

I have my PRS600 since few weeks and so far the glare didn't bother me too much. Just tilt a reader a little bit and it's gone. However, now I understand while Sting called his 1987 album, Nothing Like the Sun LOL: when I read under the direct sunlight (especially from my left, but from behind is also OK), that's the most enjoyable experience! Depending on the angle, it completely eliminates the glare and improves the contrast by several times. Then, I can say that this looks like reading from paper.
BTW, I tried several screen protectors on my cameras and GPS, but they are far from being ideal. And they certainly don't eliminate the glare. I think the most important part of the anti-glare equation is the source of the light, then the angle. Everything else is just throwing your money through the window.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert