Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 04:16 AM   #16
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator
Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Asus MyPal A636, Hanlin V5
I tried the ECO Reader in a store this week. It is a very nice device. I compared it to Cybook Gen3 in terms of quality of display, page turns and general ergonomics. I must say I preferred ECO Reader to Cybook in everything but the size/weight (ECO is a bit larger and heavier than Cybook, not too comfortable for holding with one hand). Unfortunately neither was suitable for me, these 6-inch devices just don't fit into my handbag. I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of ECO's smaller (and hopefully lighter) brother.
Mneme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #17
Kisxela
Kisxela began at the beginning.

Device: Asus-A696, Cool-er, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
The V5 has Adobe DE ePub and PDF support, and all the usual HanLin formats, but there's no Mobipocket support at all.
I have a Hanlin V5 (Koobe Junior). It supports Mobipocket.
Kisxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mneme View Post
I am now eagerly awaiting delivery of ECO's smaller (and hopefully lighter) brother.
Is that actually confirmed that they will release an Eco Reader 5" or just speculation?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Hi, while we haven't released a small version of the ECO Reader yet, I expect we will.

In the meantime, we have the HanLin V5 (5" screen) in stock now (in Melbourne) and it's a real cutie! As mentioned, it doesn't have any Mobipocket support.

https://www.dadirect.com/books/HanlinV5.asp

Last edited by cbell; 08-27-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: No Mobi!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #20
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kisxela,
The (Koobe Junior) should be V3, not V5.There's no Mobipocket support in Hanlin V5.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #21
Kisxela
Kisxela began at the beginning.

Device: Asus-A696, Cool-er, Hanlin V5
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen View Post
Kisxela,
The (Koobe Junior) should be V3, not V5.There's no Mobipocket support in Hanlin V5.
Koobe Junior is Hanlin Ereader V5 with 5" display.
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/E...tail.asp?id=42
http://koobe.hu/cikk.php?id=61
You are right, literally it doesn't support mobi. It's specification says it.
This is why I wondered that it reads PRC well. I read Mobipocket books on it.

Last edited by Kisxela; 08-27-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Kisxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 AM   #22
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator
Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mneme has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Hi, while we haven't released a small version of the ECO Reader yet, I expect we will.

In the meantime, we have the HanLin V5 (5" screen) in stock now (in Melbourne) and it's a real cutie! As mentioned, it doesn't have any Mobipocket support.

https://www.dadirect.com/books/HanlinV5.asp
So how - other than firmware - would the small version of the ECO Reader be different to HanLin v5? Would you do what Astak are doing and release the reader in funky body colours?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #23
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Hi Mneme, all HanLin V5s that we sell, including the smaller version of the ECO Reader (if we release this - I hope we will) have the same local technical support (Melbourne) as the ECO Reader, including firmware updates via our local server and compatibility with all the ebooks in our ebook store.

We have no plans to supply either device in funky colours... yet. I'd really like to, but it's dependent on sales. If Australians and New Zealanders continue to embrace our ECO Reader and our HanLin V5, which I expect they will, we'll be able to extend our branding and colours.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:07 AM   #24
allen
allen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,you are right. Koobe junior is V5.
If the PRC is not encrypted, may be you can read. You can't read the Mobipocket books those are encrypted on V5.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #25
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator

Thank you, cbell. I can only wish you every success and look forward to buying more devices and e-books from you. And may I say I love the look of my V5 - it arrived this afternoon and it is a beauty.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:25 PM   #26
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Mneme, thank you so much for your kind words. I've sent you a PM (see the notification at the top right of your screen, near Welcome).

I'm glad you agree with my opinion on the V5s (well, I said cuties and you said beauties)!

We've received wonderful feedback from new owners. Please be sure to comment on the pre-loaded content as the creators are MR members and they'd love to receive feedback.

Did you see the ECO Reader at Reader's Feast in Melbourne? They've really embraced them and love giving demos. I believe they'll be stocking the V5 soon, too.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #27
Mneme
Serial Procrastinator

Quote:
Hi Mneme, thank you so much for your kind words. I've sent you a PM (see the notification at the top right of your screen, near Welcome).

I'm glad you agree with my opinion on the V5s (well, I said cuties and you said beauties)!

We've received wonderful feedback from new owners. Please be sure to comment on the pre-loaded content as the creators are MR members and they'd love to receive feedback.

Did you see the ECO Reader at Reader's Feast in Melbourne? They've really embraced them and love giving demos. I believe they'll be stocking the V5 soon, too.
I did go to Reader's Feast to see the e-book readers. The staff were very helpful, let me play with all their stocked devices and compare them side by side. Seeing these devices in real life assisted my decision making process: I was wavering between ECO Reader, CyBook and HanLin V5. Reader's Feast didn't have the V5, but I was able to compare the other two.
I finally got the V5 (it won over the ECO solely on portability) and am happy with my choice.

Review of V5 coming soon

Last edited by Mneme; 08-30-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: cant speel too gud
Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 AM   #28
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Mneme, I've passed your comments on to Reader's Feast - everyone loves getting positive feedback like yours!

I think you spall good.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #29
Suzannec
Suzannec has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ECO Reader
Hi All,
I have had my ECO Reader now for over a week and I love it. I must admit it was a little bigger than I expected, but I am really glad now that it is bigger. I love the feel of it and reading on it is great. The pages turns do seem a little slow, but I compensate for that by hitting the next page button when I have a half a sentence or so to read and now I don't even notice it. I am using a 4GB SDHC card in it with no problems. I am using Calibre to convert all my free, and bought books to epub, and I couldn’t be happier. I have found that after reading for a while, it can get a little heavy if you are holding it with one hand, but other than that it is a great Ebook reader. I would recommend it to anyone, and the customer support is great - Christine Bell is awesome.
Suzannec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #30
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannec View Post
Hi All,
I have had my ECO Reader now for over a week and I love it. I must admit it was a little bigger than I expected, but I am really glad now that it is bigger. I love the feel of it and reading on it is great. The pages turns do seem a little slow, but I compensate for that by hitting the next page button when I have a half a sentence or so to read and now I don't even notice it. I am using a 4GB SDHC card in it with no problems. I am using Calibre to convert all my free, and bought books to epub, and I couldn’t be happier. I have found that after reading for a while, it can get a little heavy if you are holding it with one hand, but other than that it is a great Ebook reader. I would recommend it to anyone, and the customer support is great - Christine Bell is awesome.
I've had mine a little longer, and entirely agree. Christine (no relation) Bell provides excellent customer service - light years ahead of Bookeen.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia eco