Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Yes thats them. The person does seem very anti-technology but that whole aspect raised some interesting questions. Hopefully theyll have some way to recycle these old e-readers someday.

Now as for the winning one, I agree with a commenter there. Whichever one that reads all formats. Thats the one thatll win, and if its in color the others wont even have a chance.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #17
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Keyboards will probably be archaic to him.
I somehow doubt it. For simple interfaces like mobile phones, it makes sense to have a simple touch interface, but just try editing a novel with an interface like that. For professional work, keyboard is still much more efficient, even compared to mouse interfaces. Once I took the time to learn the hot keys to do things, my hands almost never leave the keyboard. So much faster.

We have eight fingers and two thumbs... the only interface that makes use of them all is the keyboard.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I loved it when some of them called out thornz for using some of the same technology he was trashing to post his comments.

I think the footprint idea is valid, but not more than for many, or most, other items. Someone on there talked about the impact of both books and ereaders, and I found it interesting.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #19
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Ah, but you should see my 2 year old nephew manipulate the touch screens of my Sony and my Nokia smartphone. If he sees a screen now, he automatically pokes it. Keyboards will probably be archaic to him. Reminds me of the scene in "Star Trek: The Voyage Home", where Scotty automatically tries to operate a computer by voice commands.
A cartoon from about that time shows a guy in front of a screen with a microphone. The caption:
"Down, down, down, over, over, up one, right, right, down, left, left.
There, erase that word."
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #20
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another thing Id like to add, wouldnt it also matter which one has the better store? The better selection, better prices? Right now Id figure Kindle is winning that since theyve been around for awhile but Im sure everyone will catch up one day.
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I loved it when some of them called out thornz for using some of the same technology he was trashing to post his comments.
And this would be an example of the Tu Quoque (You, too!) fallacy. The fact that he is using technology that he disparages is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to the rational consideration of his argument.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #22
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

He was trashing ALL technology, as far as I could tell. Cell phones, readers, everything. All he was doing was standing on a soapbox shouting at others about how they were wrong to want to own things. And espousing how he was better because his computer didn't have capacitors made from whatever. Or something like that.

He could have stated his point without hammering it, and sounding so snooty.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #23
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
"A keyboard! How quaint!" Followed by typing at about 200 words per minute.
Only one of the many, many things I despised about that flick...

But yes, it'll be interesting to see how interface evolves in the next few years/decades. I'm betting on a combination of heavy voice backed up by icon/image control, and followed up by keyboards only when necessary. We're so close to accurate voice reco that even touchscreens may be superfluous in many applications soon.

When that happens... woe be unto any time-traveler who has to manipulate a keyboard-based computer system... 200WPM my Aunt Marguerite's @$$...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Now as for the winning one, I agree with a commenter there. Whichever one that reads all formats. Thats the one thatll win, and if its in color the others wont even have a chance.
That means my smartphone wins!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
NVash
Wandering Vagabond

Ah yes, smartphones. How could I forget them? But the screen is usually too small.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #25
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricDP View Post
Yeah, people touch my nook screen all the time and I chastise them, saying "would you want to read through fingerprints?" I hate touch-screen on the reading screen. I think B&N found the perfect balance for touch screen interface on the bottom, but non-touch reading screen.
The new Sony touch screens are perfect and don't leave fingerprints. I think it's a combination of a slightly rough texture to the screen and the fact that you don't have to actually touch the screen to activate it.

I hated the fingerprints on my PRS-900, but after a week of heavy use, there isn't a single fingerprint (at least a visible one) on my PRS-650. I forgot how much I missed simple touch dictionary look-up!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
But yes, it'll be interesting to see how interface evolves in the next few years/decades. I'm betting on a combination of heavy voice backed up by icon/image control, and followed up by keyboards only when necessary. We're so close to accurate voice reco that even touchscreens may be superfluous in many applications soon.
My problem with voice commands is that everyone else around will be hearing you use the device. A touch interface is much more private, and much less annoying to everyone else. Oh, and internationalization of apps will be even more hellish to develop than it currently is.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
And this would be an example of the Tu Quoque (You, too!) fallacy. The fact that he is using technology that he disparages is absolutely irrelevant when it comes to the rational consideration of his argument.
Yes and no. Tu quoque is a logical fallacy, which means that it does not mean that his argument is logically invalid. However, it does suggest that the scope of the problem presented described in his argument may be fairly small - in the same way that it would be hard to take seriously an argument that manufacturing bicycles has too great of a carbon footprint when the argument is made by someone driving an SUV. I mean, yes, the fact that the person making the argument drives an SUV doesn't mean that a bicycle manufacturing has no carbon footprint...but it does suggest that the importance of that carbon footprint may be overstated.

Which I think is the main problem with "Thornz" argument - not that it was wrong per se (although it may be), but that he had lost perspective of the issue.

Or it may just mean that he is a troll interested in stirring up trouble.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #28
mrscoach
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Or it may just mean that he is a troll interested in stirring up trouble.
We have a winner!!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #29
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Just because he's a troll doesn't mean he's wrong. For the most part, I liked what he said and I'm far from being against technology. But the way he said it makes me think he's either naive and/or has an ego with the perimeter of a pulsar's magnetosphere. If I believed I could change anything I would seek for ways to express a similar opinion.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #30
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Good article! Thanks for sharing.
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote