Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 04:32 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I Predict that PW3 will eventually get 5.12.5. As has been noted, it initially got 5.12.4 and that was removed (and updates page still cautions about updating the Kids Paperwhite to 5.12.4). It has 512 RAM, same as all the other Kindles that have gotten 5.12.5. No reason it should be left out. I think 7th gen Kindle may be left behind, but we’ll see.
So what is Amazon's reasons for not putting out 5.12.5 for the PW3? Why would they be waiting to release it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:52 AM   #17
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what is Amazon's reasons for not putting out 5.12.5 for the PW3? Why would they be waiting to release it?
Maybe because something in the update causes problems with something in the PW3? That would be my first guess. Why hold the update back for all models just because it causes problems with one? It definitely seems like there was some problem with 5.12.4, since they initially released it for that model and then pulled it.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Maybe because something in the update causes problems with something in the PW3? That would be my first guess. Why hold the update back for all models just because it causes problems with one? It definitely seems like there was some problem with 5.12.4, since they initially released it for that model and then pulled it.

Shari
5.12.4 was pulled for all Kindles. But Amazon is not giving any information as to what's going on. That's a sign of EOL. If there was a problem they were fixing, I would expect them to tell us what's going on.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
5.12.4 was pulled for all Kindles. But Amazon is not giving any information as to what's going on. That's a sign of EOL. If there was a problem they were fixing, I would expect them to tell us what's going on.
amazon never tells anybody anything about what is going on.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #20
hartleyshc
hartleyshc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen, KT4, PW4, PW5-SE
Apparently the KT4 is now shipping with 8gb. Does anyone know what firmware these are being shipped with? It's really my only complaint with the current KT4. Having only 2.7gb usable. I'm assuming that these are being shipped with 5.12.x firmware.
hartleyshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartleyshc View Post
Apparently the KT4 is now shipping with 8gb. Does anyone know what firmware these are being shipped with? It's really my only complaint with the current KT4. Having only 2.7gb usable. I'm assuming that these are being shipped with 5.12.x firmware.
I assume that you mean the ‘Kindle (10th generation)’ that sells for $89 USD. If that is true, they have not updated the product description, or maybe it is something they sell in Japan only (Because manga), or maybe it is not yet available. It would certainly improve the value proposition. I own one, but only paid $5 due to promotions and trade-in credits, and it is a nice device, just not $90 nice.

The Paperwhite (10th generation) has always had 8GB in the base configuration.

At any rate the sale appears to be over.

Firmware version would be the same regardless of storage capacity.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #22
hartleyshc
hartleyshc began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen, KT4, PW4, PW5-SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I assume that you mean the ‘Kindle (10th generation)’ that sells for $89 USD. If that is true, they have not updated the product description, or maybe it is something they sell in Japan only (Because manga), or maybe it is not yet available. It would certainly improve the value proposition. I own one, but only paid $5 due to promotions and trade-in credits, and it is a nice device, just not $90 nice.

The Paperwhite (10th generation) has always had 8GB in the base configuration.

At any rate the sale appears to be over.

Firmware version would be the same regardless of storage capacity.
They haven't updated the product page. But there's many users on reddit that ordered the basic unit (not pw4, the KT4) and they're being shipped with 8gb and it even says it on the box. I assume this is a supply issue and they simply can't get 4gb nand chips or they have an overstock of 8gb nand chips for the same cost or less than the 4gb.

I was asking for shipped firmware for the purposes of jailbreaking, since the latest factory firmware is 5.11.0 which is what the KT4 used to ship with. It's my understanding that the PW4 now ships with a 5.12.x firmware, so public jailbreak is out of the question if purchased now.

Pretty much a curiosity question more than anything.
hartleyshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:01 AM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I think probably for the same reason they withdrew 5.12.4. Must be something a bit different about the PW3's hardware.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #24
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Not necessarily. There have been reports of some Kindles with 5.12.4 having an excessive battery drain. That will not be fixed with 5.12.5 with a PW3. The PW3 may have gotten 5.12.4 OTA as Amazon did pull 5.12.4 from the website but from from OTA.

So if you have a PW3 that have excessive battery drain due to 5.12.4, there's no way to install 5.12.5 to fix that.
So: It functions exactly the same as it did before 5.12.5 was released.
As I said.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
So: It functions exactly the same as it did before 5.12.5 was released.
As I said.
And how is that if there is excessive battery drain?
Old 05-14-2020, 04:46 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
We have 5.12.4 on two PW3. There is no difference in battery usage. Battery life is fine even on the much older purchase.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:31 AM   #27
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
And how is that if there is excessive battery drain?
Was there excessive battery drain before 5.12.5 was released?
Then the release has made no difference, has it?
If 5.12.5 hadn't been released, would that have improved the battery drain?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:09 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Was there excessive battery drain before 5.12.5 was released?
Then the release has made no difference, has it?
If 5.12.5 hadn't been released, would that have improved the battery drain?
I cannot say if there was battery drain before 5.12.4. You would have to ask those who found they had an excessive battery drain using 5.12.4.

The latest firmware I have experience with is 5.12.2. There is no excessive battery drain there.