Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
No noise here from mine... get it replaced asap.
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
billy12
billy12 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
Mine makes a noise when I touch the screen. If you can hear it, I doubt that exchanging the unit will make any difference.
billy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
When I had my 600 it definitely made this noise, I noticed it and pointed it out to my girlfriend who could hear it also. The noise is extremely low volume and I think it may be a result of the resistive screen's workings, though I'm not sure. I don't think it's anything to worry about though.

The noise occured when I used my finger or the stylus.
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #19
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
The noise is there, but what do you know, I've had it for months and I only noticed last night. Maybe the house was unusually quiet last night, because I can see no reason why the noise would have started just yesterday. Once you notice it, you can't help being aware of it. I believe it's normal but the sound is too low to notice even in moderately quiet surroundings. It did freak me out a little of course
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
georget99
georget99 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I'm assuming the sound is coming from the reader, not headphones, and the '600 does not have a built in speaker or beeper.

Googling around, it looks like the eInk display needs 15 volts to change what's displayed. With a 5.2 volt charging voltage, there's probably just a single 3.7 volt LiIon cell powering the reader, so there must be a DC-DC converter in there to step up the voltage. Typical (all?) converters like that use a transformer/inductor and depending on how well it's potted and how it's mounted, it certainly can be a source of audible noise.

Perhaps it's very near the display on some units and touching brings the screen into contact with the transformer and makes it audible.

Just my pre-coffee ramblings, please ignore.
georget99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #21
ebioman
Enthusiast
ebioman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi
I read this thread already before and wondered about any noise
Afterwards I did realize when it was perfectly calm that I would here it when I kept flipping through pages (fast forward).
I unfortunately had the fading problem and therefore sent my device back.

Now, today my new one arrived and guess what, it makes the sound almost all the time I touch the display

One question: I assume most people kept theirs and did not sent it back due to the clicking. Did it become worse, or did your device even crash ?

Otherwise I would tend to hope that I got rid of the fading (Cloudy day today in Switzerland ) and live with the noise....
ebioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #22
Wulf
Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Whenever I hear someone say their battery drains too fast, the first thing I think of is that they may not know how to actually shut the reader down completly. Lots of people think they are shutting the reader off, when they slide the Power button to the right, but as we all know, (hint, hint) sliding the button to the right momentarly, only pous the reader into "SleepMode". In sleep mode, the reader will use battery power for about 5 days then it powers off. To shut the reader down fully, you must slide the button to the right AND hold it to the right for 3+ seconds. You will get a screen message that asks if you really want to shut thr reader down. Just say yes.

Mom
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
My PRS-600 is quiet. Acoustically & electrically with very isolating canal phones. I tried the continuous page turn & also with the edit notes function enabled. Nothing, nada, silent. Mine doesn't exhibit the sun fade phenomenon either. Hmmm I wonder if there's a correlation between those two defects???
The noise may be widespread, but it's not right.

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote